Released players can return...

nathanlt

Reaction score
When are released players allowed to return to their teams as free agents, at a lower price? Is that possible, based on their original contract?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
When are released players allowed to return to their teams as free agents, at a lower price? Is that possible, based on their original contract?

Yes...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Presumably one minute later. What would be the difference from just restructuring?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
and....I think it would be expected that if a team releases a guy, it's because they are financially strapped (from a CAP standpoint)...and the player can find a sweeter deal elsewhere...especially if the other team is willing to frontload the contract.

playit12

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
and....I think it would be expected that if a team releases a guy, it's because they are financially strapped (from a CAP standpoint)...and the player can find a sweeter deal elsewhere...especially if the other team is willing to frontload the contract.

Or the player believes his market worth is greater than what the current team is offering (either with his current contract or restructured offers). This will likely be a tight market for FA's if the CBA isn't extended however... which I think might lead some of those player/agent expectations to lower. In that case, you might just see some guys returning.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
I think that once a player clears the waiver period, they can be resigned to a NEW contract...but then again, they could just as easily sign another contract INSTEAD of leaving, so it's sort of moot. The first scenario usually takes place with marginal players or role players, not marquee guys like Glover, etc.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Well the reason I asked is because Clayton from ESPN was stating that some high priced players could simply be out of a job because the available funds that each team has is so low, the teams can't support a high priced market anymore. The veteran minimum would restrict them to the point that they can only have a limited number of veterans, and because of this veterans would be out of a job.

playit12

Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:
I think that once a player clears the waiver period, they can be resigned to a NEW contract...but then again, they could just as easily sign another contract INSTEAD of leaving, so it's sort of moot. The first scenario usually takes place with marginal players or role players, not marquee guys like Glover, etc.

I don't think there is a Waiver period right now. I think players become immediate FAs if they are released.

superpunk

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

That's not true with Glover, might not be true elsewhere either. Some players are just released because their production and involvement in the team doesn't match their current compensation.

playit12

Reaction score
nathanlt said:
Well the reason I asked is because Clayton from ESPN was stating that some high priced players could simply be out of a job because the available funds that each team has is so low, the teams can't support a high priced market anymore. The veteran minimum would restrict them to the point that they can only have a limited number of veterans, and because of this veterans would be out of a job.

Not too many vets are making the vet minimum... It think that is around 650k or something? Perhaps Adam can correct me. That might price out a few guys... but I really doubt it's going to keep Glover from getting signed for isntance.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nathanlt said:
This shouldn't be the case. See: Scout.com.

How does the veteran minimum salary system work?

The system was implemented to make it less costly to retain older veterans at the minimum salary. Under this new system, the Salary Cap count for a player with four or more Credited Seasons who signs a contract will be the same as the count for a player with three Credited Seasons. The difference between the Salary Cap count for a qualifying contract and the stated minimum for the qualifying player's years of service will be counted as a Player Benefit and as such is not charged against the teams Salary Cap.

For example, in 2003, a veteran player with 5 Credited Seasons will receive a Minimum Salary of $530,000; however, only $450,000 will count against his club's Team Salary. The difference of $80,000 will be counted as a Player Benefit and be paid out of the NFL-wide benefit pool. Similarly, a qualifying player with 12 Credited Seasons will receive a Minimum Salary of $755,000; however, only $450,000 will count against his club's Team Salary. The difference of $305,000 will be counted as a Player Benefit and be paid out of the League-wide benefit pool. As a result, the 10-year veteran making $755,000 will cost the club the same as the three-year veteran making $450,000.

Therefore a veteran should never be priced out of playing. At the minimum he is as costly as a 3rd year player. Whether or not he accepts vet. minimum is another story.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
playit12 said:
I don't think there is a Waiver period right now. I think players become immediate FAs if they are released.

They do become FAs when released...to any other team, but to the releasing team, there are limitations to the time frame for resigning...otherwise teams would just circumvent the venerable cap by simply cutting and immediately resigning. As it stands now (for another year or so) teams must wait and then obviously all contracts must have league approval (usually only a formality). There may be other points to this, but I'm pretty sure the gist is correct.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:
They do become FAs when released...to any other team, but to the releasing team, there are limitations to the time frame for resigning...otherwise teams would just circumvent the venerable cap by simply cutting and immediately resigning. As it stands now (for another year or so) teams must wait and then obviously all contracts must have league approval (usually only a formality). There may be other points to this, but I'm pretty sure the gist is correct.
How would they bet getting around the cap? If resigned after the date, they'd still be over.

playit12

Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:

I really thought that only applied either in season or with regards to injured players. I think during the FA period, players become immediate FAs and can resign with their respective teams if desired. It really doesn't circumvent the cap in any way, as the team that released the player is at best at the same status, or at worst pays more for the player than another team would.