CFZ Remaining FA needs and who I think would be the best players to address this

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Going into the offseason, the needs that I felt the Cowboys had were the following: NT, WR, CB, S, LB, Guard, K, RB, and backup QB.

We've addressed CB with Gilmore, WR with Cooks, LB with LVE (though Wagner would be the cherry on top as well), backup QB (Cooper Rush), and S (Kearse). The remaining needs, as I see it, are NT, Guard, K, & RB. I have kicker because I think Maher needs competition and him missing XPs contributed to our early edit. The good news is, I think these can be addressed in the draft.

The NTs I think can be addressed in the draft. The players in this situation that I'd like are Siaki Ika from Baylor, Mazi Smith from Michigan, Broderic Martin from Western Kentucky, or Jerrod Clark from Coastal Carolina. I'd also be happy with Colburn of Texas. I think these NTs would be able to help our defence be secured against the run. I think we are going to be fantastic against the pass. Having a NT or two (I'd prefer drafting two of these for rotational purposes) can make running the ball against us very difficult. Plus, having a massive NT can help us defend against the Hurts sneak.

I think the guards that I'd like include Steve Avila in round 2 from TCU or Zavala from NC State in round 5. I'd also happily take O'Cyrus Torrence from Florida in round 1. I think guard is a position that we can get in rounds 2 or later because I see Tyron starting at LT and Tyler at LG. However, Tyron is going to probably get injured during the season. So, having a guard taken from round 2 or later means that Tyler can be moved to LT and were prepared for it with a guard who can step in immediately.

The RBs I'd like are Bijan Robinson, Tank Bigsby, or McBride. These will help us replace Zeke.

Finally, at kicker. Don't worry, I'm not going to bore you all with the Japanese kickers this time. I think I'd draft Noah Ruggles from Ohio State in round 5 or Jake Moody in round 7. I'd also possibly sign Chad Ryland from Maryland. I think one of these three kickers can be useful competition or replacements for Maher.

I think these should be the positions of priority. I think that, if we address these positions with these players, I think this team will have the biggest holes in the team filled with high quality players. This means, assuming the team stays relatively healthy, the team should be able to compete for the Super Bowl.

I suppose on a sidenote, I'd also probably draft either Hooker in round 2 or one of 3 QBs later in the draft as rookies who can be groomed to possibly take over at starting QB or become trade bait (ideally) for extra draft picks later. The other QBs being Clayton Tune from Houston, Dorian Thompson-Robinson of UCLA, or Maxx Duggan of TCU. I think these QBs could compete to possibly take over some day or be traded for a nice haul of draft picks.

What say you all? Am I missing anything?

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Look for quiet before the draft. Fowler offer stands but could be pulled if he waits too long. If he signs for 3-4 million, we’re down to 10 million in cap space, 7 of which will go to draft picks.

Second tier free agents will sign 1 year deals after the draft to fill out certain positions. The guys that sign those deals will depend mostly on who we draft.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Going into the offseason, the needs that I felt the Cowboys had were the following: NT, WR, CB, S, LB, Guard, K, RB, and backup QB.

We've addressed CB with Gilmore, WR with Cooks, LB with LVE (though Wagner would be the cherry on top as well), backup QB (Cooper Rush), and S (Kearse). The remaining needs, as I see it, are NT, Guard, K, & RB. I have kicker because I think Maher needs competition and him missing XPs contributed to our early edit. The good news is, I think these can be addressed in the draft.

The NTs I think can be addressed in the draft. The players in this situation that I'd like are Siaki Ika from Baylor, Mazi Smith from Michigan, Broderic Martin from Western Kentucky, or Jerrod Clark from Coastal Carolina. I'd also be happy with Colburn of Texas. I think these NTs would be able to help our defence be secured against the run. I think we are going to be fantastic against the pass. Having a NT or two (I'd prefer drafting two of these for rotational purposes) can make running the ball against us very difficult. Plus, having a massive NT can help us defend against the Hurts sneak.

I think the guards that I'd like include Steve Avila in round 2 from TCU or Zavala from NC State in round 5. I'd also happily take O'Cyrus Torrence from Florida in round 1. I think guard is a position that we can get in rounds 2 or later because I see Tyron starting at LT and Tyler at LG. However, Tyron is going to probably get injured during the season. So, having a guard taken from round 2 or later means that Tyler can be moved to LT and were prepared for it with a guard who can step in immediately.

The RBs I'd like are Bijan Robinson, Tank Bigsby, or McBride. These will help us replace Zeke.

Finally, at kicker. Don't worry, I'm not going to bore you all with the Japanese kickers this time. I think I'd draft Noah Ruggles from Ohio State in round 5 or Jake Moody in round 7. I'd also possibly sign Chad Ryland from Maryland. I think one of these three kickers can be useful competition or replacements for Maher.

I think these should be the positions of priority. I think that, if we address these positions with these players, I think this team will have the biggest holes in the team filled with high quality players. This means, assuming the team stays relatively healthy, the team should be able to compete for the Super Bowl.

I suppose on a sidenote, I'd also probably draft either Hooker in round 2 or one of 3 QBs later in the draft as rookies who can be groomed to possibly take over at starting QB or become trade bait (ideally) for extra draft picks later. The other QBs being Clayton Tune from Houston, Dorian Thompson-Robinson of UCLA, or Maxx Duggan of TCU. I think these QBs could compete to possibly take over some day or be traded for a nice haul of draft picks.

Pretty good coverage there rusty!
Who do you like for waterboy?
Haha

NotForLong

Reaction score

I got a Man crush on Dorian Thompson Robinson

It is exciting to watch Him Run . . . Almost like He has a second gear that kicks in . . . He is Narrow but we can ride Him until the Wheels Fall off

Very similar to Hurts

Shannon1

Reaction score
Look for quiet before the draft. Fowler offer stands but could be pulled if he waits too long. If he signs for 3-4 million, we’re down to 10 million in cap space, 7 of which will go to draft picks.

Second tier free agents will sign 1 year deals after the draft to fill out certain positions. The guys that sign those deals will depend mostly on who we draft.
No we get 10 million from Zeke want be down to 7

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
No we get 10 million from Zeke want be down to 7

I’m not sure if the current numbers count Zeke or not. If we get an additional 10 million in saving from Zeke, that would make things far less tight and a large 1 year contract for Wagner doable.

tm1119

Reaction score

Rule of 51 keeps the cap space needed for rookies way down. The Cowboys will only need around 3M in cap space to sign the rookie class

Sydla

Reaction score
Disagree at NT
No rookie mid rounder will get the job done
Sign Hankins and Ashawn who will both be cheap
I just don't get it at DT with this franchise. It's easily the most puzzling thing about what they do every offseason. And despite chatter that they wanted to fix the run D this offseason, they've shown zero effort in attempting to address it.

I have zero doubts they once again are going to wait a bit and keep their fingers crossed that there are DTs in a week or so desperate for a deal. That way of building the DT room has worked so well in the past.

What's more frustrating is that bad DT play can derail what looks like a quality secondary and some good edge rushers. But the Cowboys just seem to not give a crap about the position.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I got a Man crush on Dorian Thompson Robinson

It is exciting to watch Him Run . . . Almost like He has a second gear that kicks in . . . He is Narrow but we can ride Him until the Wheels Fall off

Very similar to Hurts

Yes, and I think he's the sort of QB who might take a season or two to develop. The good news is that we have Dak Prescott, which means that he will have time to learn.