CFZ Remaining FA needs and who I think would be the best players to address this

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This…we tried with Bohanna….don’t have time to wait. Get someone proven, won’t cost that much.
I agree that we need someone proven. But, I'd still also draft one to have rotating. Having a young NT like Ika rotating with Hankins and/or Robinson would give us a nice rotation. Plus, if one of the NTs goes down with an injury, we wouldn't be in trouble because we'd have quality depth.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like the D tackles OP suggested and think they should/must still pursue Robinson. It's time the Cowboys understand the importance of a great NT

Exactly. We need to be good at stopping BOTH the run and pass. Especially in the playoffs. The best way to do that is get NTs. So, the players I've highlighted are players that can develop while rotating with a player like Robinson. In the case of Ika or Mazi Smith, they're players, imo, who can start day 1 if needed, but a veteran NT would help them through camp and help with the rotation. I'd also draft one later or sign a UDFA as a 3rd or 4th option so that, if we have an injury at NT, we'd have depth to hold the line. That way, we're not completely screwed if our main run stopper goes down. Plus, having a nice rotation of NTs means that guys like Parsons have a field day with either the RB or QB. Especially since the QB won't be able to step up in the pocket.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Really they can draft any position as they need depth everywhere. Take the best players with great work ethic, they are the ones youll want to keep. We could use a CB, DT, RB, WR, OL, LB and TE is deep and may be the best player available at some point.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Really they can draft any position as they need depth everywhere. Take the best players with great work ethic, they are the ones youll want to keep. We could use a CB, DT, RB, WR, OL, LB and TE is deep and may be the best player available at some point.

I agree with you, but I would argue that our top priorities are NT, RB, OL, and maybe TE. I think those our our remaining weaknesses.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Going into the offseason, the needs that I felt the Cowboys had were the following: NT, WR, CB, S, LB, Guard, K, RB, and backup QB.

We've addressed CB with Gilmore, WR with Cooks, LB with LVE (though Wagner would be the cherry on top as well), backup QB (Cooper Rush), and S (Kearse). The remaining needs, as I see it, are NT, Guard, K, & RB. I have kicker because I think Maher needs competition and him missing XPs contributed to our early edit. The good news is, I think these can be addressed in the draft.

The NTs I think can be addressed in the draft. The players in this situation that I'd like are Siaki Ika from Baylor, Mazi Smith from Michigan, Broderic Martin from Western Kentucky, or Jerrod Clark from Coastal Carolina. I'd also be happy with Colburn of Texas. I think these NTs would be able to help our defence be secured against the run. I think we are going to be fantastic against the pass. Having a NT or two (I'd prefer drafting two of these for rotational purposes) can make running the ball against us very difficult. Plus, having a massive NT can help us defend against the Hurts sneak.

I think the guards that I'd like include Steve Avila in round 2 from TCU or Zavala from NC State in round 5. I'd also happily take O'Cyrus Torrence from Florida in round 1. I think guard is a position that we can get in rounds 2 or later because I see Tyron starting at LT and Tyler at LG. However, Tyron is going to probably get injured during the season. So, having a guard taken from round 2 or later means that Tyler can be moved to LT and were prepared for it with a guard who can step in immediately.

The RBs I'd like are Bijan Robinson, Tank Bigsby, or McBride. These will help us replace Zeke.

Finally, at kicker. Don't worry, I'm not going to bore you all with the Japanese kickers this time. I think I'd draft Noah Ruggles from Ohio State in round 5 or Jake Moody in round 7. I'd also possibly sign Chad Ryland from Maryland. I think one of these three kickers can be useful competition or replacements for Maher.

I think these should be the positions of priority. I think that, if we address these positions with these players, I think this team will have the biggest holes in the team filled with high quality players. This means, assuming the team stays relatively healthy, the team should be able to compete for the Super Bowl.

I suppose on a sidenote, I'd also probably draft either Hooker in round 2 or one of 3 QBs later in the draft as rookies who can be groomed to possibly take over at starting QB or become trade bait (ideally) for extra draft picks later. The other QBs being Clayton Tune from Houston, Dorian Thompson-Robinson of UCLA, or Maxx Duggan of TCU. I think these QBs could compete to possibly take over some day or be traded for a nice haul of draft picks.

What say you all? Am I missing anything?
Love most of it. Replace Zeke?

would love Florida guard or Michael Mayer the TE in round…

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They need to sign a DT then draft one. But we know whomever they draft will take some time to be ready so a decent vet is needed.

Fur sure, which is why bringing back Hankins or getting Robinson is a must. Like I said, I'd then take Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith as they can start day one, but the vet presence would naturally help them.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fur sure, which is why bringing back Hankins or getting Robinson is a must. Like I said, I'd then take Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith as they can start day one, but the vet presence would naturally help them.
Amen! I dont know the prospects but give me tge best run stuffer.