Remember Al Harris?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Probably one of the most influential coaches this team has had in several years. He's changed the culture here for our secondary guys. With that said, he was named assistant head coach. At some point in the season, will he get the "interim" coaching position if things aren't going well? Please give your thoughts

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Mike Zimmer will be the coach as soon as McCarthy is no longer the coach.

Zimmer embodies “Jerry guy”.

Jerry will never hire Al Harris for the HC. Jerry likes old, washed up, other people’s trash types. He likes the broken ones that will be grateful for one last opportunity, because they’re the easiest to control.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

Jerry will never hire Al Harris for the HC. Jerry likes old, washed up, other people’s trash types. He likes the broken ones that will be grateful for one last opportunity, because they’re the easiest to control.
Jason Garrett was here for a decade though....Still a 'Jerry guy", but Jerry certainly isn't opposed to the young guy either. Kellen Moore seemed to be on that path too until McCarthy ran him out of town. Al Harris has been here a few years now so I wouldn't rule him out as being a possible guy Jerry has taken an interest in, and the Asst HC tag is a bit of a trial run for the post McCarthy era. Jerry sits in those Monday coaching meetings regularly so you know he's familiar with the guy by now.

If you have to go with an interim tag on a HC mid way through this season I think Harris makes a ton of sense. At that point you're going to be down in the standings. Either you get a young guy the team rallies around for the story of the year, or Harris isn't ready for that role and the team ends the season with a top 10 draft pick. I just don't see the point in an interim HC like Zimmer fighting to get this team to 8 wins in what would most likely be a lost season at that point.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I’d be shocked if the HC next season is anyone other than Zimmer or McCarthy.

My early guess….MM accepts a two year extension…IF he doesn’t lose the team early on, which could easily happen over the tougher part of the schedule to a team that’s going to need time gel on each side of the ball.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Jason Garrett was here for a decade though....Still a 'Jerry guy", but Jerry certainly isn't opposed to the young guy either. Kellen Moore seemed to be on that path too until McCarthy ran him out of town. Al Harris has been here a few years now so I wouldn't rule him out as being a possible guy Jerry has taken an interest in, and the Asst HC tag is a bit of a trial run for the post McCarthy era. Jerry sits in those Monday coaching meetings regularly so you know he's familiar with the guy by now.

If you have to go with an interim tag on a HC mid way through this season I think Harris makes a ton of sense. At that point you're going to be down in the standings. Either you get a young guy the team rallies around for the story of the year, or Harris isn't ready for that role and the team ends the season with a top 10 draft pick. I just don't see the point in an interim HC like Zimmer fighting to get this team to 8 wins in what would most likely be a lost season at that point.
Jerry doesn’t see the point of an interim like Zimmer either.

That’s why he won’t be an interim. He will just be the new HC.

Garrett, like Romo, was basically Jerry’s kid. They would go to Jerry’s grandkids high school games together like family. Garrett is an outlier due to his father/son relationship with Jerry.

Nobody here now has that kind of a relationship with Jerry.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I’d be shocked if the HC next season is anyone other than Zimmer or McCarthy.

My early guess….MM accepts a two year extension…IF he doesn’t lose the team early on, which could easily happen over the tougher part of the schedule to a team that’s going to need time gel on each side of the ball.
McCarthy or Zimmer are the only comfortable options for Jerry.

Jerry will always, especially at his age, choose the comfortable option at HC.

Even his greatest hire, Jimmy Johnson, was a comfort hire due to their close friendship.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There will not be an interim coach this year.
TC has not even started yet. But yet this topic comes up again.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
There will not be an interim coach this year.
TC has not even started yet. But yet this topic comes up again.
yet there are millions of other threads about things that haven't started yet, or people who shouldn't be on the team for whatever reasons

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I like Al Harris. A lot actually.

But you can go back and see the exact same sentiments about Kris Richard a few years ago. Jerry and his acolytes swore he was a sure-thing Head Coach in the making.

2019 - last year in Dallas
2020 - out of football
2021 - Saints position coach
2022 - Saints Co-DC
2023 - Jaguars position coach
2024 - Jaguars position coach

We (as a fanbase) have to stop listening to Jerry when it comes to his thoughts on head coaches. He's proven to be quite bad at it.

Jason Garrett is in fact not the "next Tom Landry"
Kellen Moore is not "our very own version of Sean McVay"
Barry Switzer, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett never went onto another NFL HC job, McCarthy will continue that trend.

Chan Gailey did get another NFL HC gig...11 years later.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Who is Al Harris? I remember Al Bundy!
One of the best shows!

FEZuE87WYAIv1PE.jpg

ATXSRT

Reaction score
If we get a new coach next year it's going to be Bill Belichick. The writing is on the wall already, no one took a chance on him this year and he seems ok with waiting till next year.