Remember Al Harris?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Regardless of whether the next coach following MM is Zimmer or Bill Belichick, I suspect many of the players would be unhappy with that situation. They're both somewhat fanatically inclined to be no-nonsense types that some, if not many, will be somewhat unhappy with. Just wait. We'll see. The recent head coaches of this team were inclined to pamper their charges and in turn, their playoff efforts reflected as much. It'll be interesting in 2025.

Last edited:

cowboyed

Reaction score
Probably one of the most influential coaches this team has had in several years. He's changed the culture here for our secondary guys. With that said, he was named assistant head coach. At some point in the season, will he get the "interim" coaching position if things aren't going well? Please give your thoughts
I think the first sign of Al Harris becoming the interim head coach is if Jerry is sporting a new toupee styled with dread extensions and Stephen is flaunting a piercing in his left eyebrow. My instincts are usually spot on!

shabazz

Reaction score
If we get a new coach next year it's going to be Bill Belichick. The writing is on the wall already, no one took a chance on him this year and he seems ok with waiting till next year.
I wouldn't bet against this scenario. The FO is playing hardball and hesitant to overpay some players......a la Belichick?

shabazz

Reaction score
I think the first sign of Al Harris becoming the interim head coach is if Jerry is sporting a new toupee styled with dread extensions and Stephen is flaunting a piercing in his left eyebrow. My instincts are usually spot on!
I'd prefer my Jerry keeping his new aquired nap in the "natural"..... but that's just nitpicking.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Probably one of the most influential coaches this team has had in several years. He's changed the culture here for our secondary guys. With that said, he was named assistant head coach. At some point in the season, will he get the "interim" coaching position if things aren't going well? Please give your thoughts
Coog, I hope Al Harris doesn't get tagged as the interim HC. That would mean things have gone south and MM got fired mid-season.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Coog, I hope Al Harris doesn't get tagged as the interim HC. That would mean things have gone south and MM got fired mid-season.
This is all i'm saying that could happen, in Dallas we wait and wait and wait to make a move. We have to wait until MM is 0-10 to make a change. Hope it doesn't happen this way

shabazz

Reaction score
he'd be happy with over paying players!!:rolleyes:
We haven't seen him overpay to keep Biadiaz, Fowler, Gallimore, Pollard, etc etc

The old Jerry would have resigned all of these players AND I don't see him rushing to pay Dakota, Parsons or Lamb either......somebody with better instincts than Jerry is making these calls behind the scenes. We will know who it is after this season

This is just one hung man's opinion....nothing more.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Al who?
:muttley:

conner01

Reaction score
No

quickccc

Reaction score
Jason Garrett was here for a decade though....Still a 'Jerry guy", but Jerry certainly isn't opposed to the young guy either. Kellen Moore seemed to be on that path too until McCarthy ran him out of town. Al Harris has been here a few years now so I wouldn't rule him out as being a possible guy Jerry has taken an interest in, and the Asst HC tag is a bit of a trial run for the post McCarthy era. Jerry sits in those Monday coaching meetings regularly so you know he's familiar with the guy by now.

If you have to go with an interim tag on a HC mid way through this season I think Harris makes a ton of sense. At that point you're going to be down in the standings. Either you get a young guy the team rallies around for the story of the year, or Harris isn't ready for that role and the team ends the season with a top 10 draft pick. I just don't see the point in an interim HC like Zimmer fighting to get this team to 8 wins in what would most likely be a lost season at that point.
What is it abut Al Harris that makes him HC credential worthy ? what stands him out as a HC candidate ?

Usually we see new HC's come from coordinator roles into eventual HCs'. but sometimes there are exceptions , ala Dan Campbell from
TE coach to HC (Lions) ..and he's had a few HC interviews in the past prior to the Lions HC role.

One issue with the Cowboys future HC role, is AL Harris is on the defensive side - unlike Garrett and Kellen Moore , there will be
no " Boy Wonder " offensive genius projections per Jerry.

And i highly doubt the Jones are gonna make a Dave Campo like nutty HC move.- the worse HC decision in the Jones era.
At least Wade Phillips had previous HC experience and directed the Cowboys into a NFC East division and 1 win season
as compared to the hapless Campo.

I'm not so sure what the Asst. HC title means and values - as I believe even Rod Marinelli himself was anointed as " Asst. HC"

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Hasn't Al Harris said he's "not really an X & O's" kinda guy or something along those lines? That's fine as a positional coach where you're focusing more on technique but that doesn't really work as a head coach.