Remember Dalton Schultz? He is part of the 5-headed monster in Texas

shabazz

Reaction score
Everyone all in when you got a rookie starter on a rookie deal. Clock starts ticking.
It's the smart way to do so, but doesn't always work.

The Jets were stacked but their cheap rookie qb held them back so they had to drop the bread for Rodgers.

In hindsight the Falcons could have done it with Pennix but they already gave the bag to Cousins.......lots of different approaches for sure.

I really can't explain our current situation here in Dallas though.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's the smart way to do so, but doesn't always work.

The Jets were stacked but their cheap rookie qb held them back so they had to drop the bread for Rodgers.

In hindsight the Falcons could have done it with Pennix but they already gave the bag to Cousins.......lots of different approaches for sure.

I really can't explain our current situation here in Dallas though.
Yeah those teams also have young talent too though. Jets still haven’t had to pay Sauce or Wilson yet. Falcons don’t have to worry about Pitts and Bijan yet.

Cowboys are in this stupid spot because they don’t want to commit to any future salaries but don’t want to start over. The dumbest place to be is nowhere and that’s where we are.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cowboys when they don’t look in the 2nd round typically find quality tight ends I don’t even know why they reach there. James Hanna, Dalton, Ferg, Hendershot, Witten, Jarwin…..I don’t recall us ever struggling to find a tight end. Even when we failed in the 2nd round we had guys already in place.
Higher upside. Jerry is convinced he needs to have a TE who is a major downfield threat.

When we go later in the draft, we aim for good solid prospects as opposed to the extreme obsession w/ downfield receiving.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Schultz is a good player but TE is a position that if the player isn't elite you can typically replicate their production fairly cheaply with young talent.

kskboys

Reaction score
Turn that around and ask what is Ferguson doing that Dalton isn't. First, the blocking isn't even in question as to who does a better job. Second, the yards gained after the catch isn't even close. That's two biggies right there.
Yeah, Dalton is a beast after the catch.

Blocking is really close, w/ Fergie getting the edge. Dalton missed a block early on, so he got the stigma of being a bad blocker when it just wasn't true.

Once again, same player. Dalton wasn't worth 15 mil so we let him walk, good decision.

kskboys

Reaction score
Schultz is a good player but TE is a position that if the player isn't elite you can typically replicate their production fairly cheaply with young talent.
Yeah, him insisting on 15 mil/season was just stupid.

And what did he just sign for w/ the Texans? Yup, 12 mill/season. He's either really stupid or he's getting some really bad advice.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Higher upside. Jerry is convinced he needs to have a TE who is a major downfield threat.

When we go later in the draft, we aim for good solid prospects as opposed to the extreme obsession w/ downfield receiving.
But like I said they are addressing the position when we already have a tight end here. In Wittens prime they drafted Escobar, Bennett and Fasano. You have Ferg and Hendershot and go with Schoon. I don’t get it but nothing you can do about it now.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yeah, him insisting on 15 mil/season was just stupid.

And what did he just sign for w/ the Texans? Yup, 12 mill/season. He's either really stupid or he's getting some really bad advice.
He still got a franchise tag paycheck out of us. We shouldn't have even done that. But Dak needed his security blanket that we see was easily replaceable.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
What is Dalton doing that Ferguson isnt
Turn that around and ask what is Ferguson doing that Dalton isn't. First, the blocking isn't even in question as to who does a better job. Second, the yards gained after the catch isn't even close. That's two biggies right there
But like I said they are addressing the position when we already have a tight end here. In Wittens prime they drafted Escobar, Bennett and Fasano. You have Ferg and Hendershot and go with Schoon. I don’t get it but nothing you can do about it now.
Yes, you are right about that. A wasted draft pick last year for tight end. That draft could go down as one of the worst in the last 30 years. Why they selected schoon with that pick, well, it just ruined that 2023 draft for me. I was hoping for a offensive lineman, a running back or even a linebacker.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Turn that around and ask what is Ferguson doing that Dalton isn't. First, the blocking isn't even in question as to who does a better job. Second, the yards gained after the catch isn't even close. That's two biggies right there

Yes, you are right about that. A wasted draft pick last year for tight end. That draft could go down as one of the worst in the last 30 years. Why they selected schoon with that pick just ruined that 2023 draft for me.
Should’ve got two starters in last years draft in those first two rounds….too cute.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Dallas could have had Schultz AND a second round draft pick, or they could have had Schoonmaker.

A little salary cap money could have literally bought Dallas a second round pick.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I like Schultz more than many do. He’s exceptional at finding soft spots and getting open.

That being said I’ll happily take Ferguson.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Meh. Same guy.

No, it's actually not easy to find this type of TE. Many teams struggle for years doing just that. We got lucky we had Fergie waiting in the wings.

Of course, then we just had to get stupid again and waste a high draft pick on another TE w/ a higher ceiling but a much lower floor.
They’re totally different. Ferguson‘s a Dawg with attitude. Shultz isn’t.