Remember the Structure of Amari Cooper's Contract

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So if we could do that with Cooper, why not do it with Byron? :huh:
Byron isnt on offense lol , jones boys dont think much of CB's unless it is big name star like deion. They like big names, stars , offensive players.
And like some here they think he cant get int's. which I think was just the system and DC's, as none of them got int's unless it was a tipped ball
or thrown right to them.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I find it a lot more enjoyable being a Cowboys fan by not worrying about size and length of player contracts. I just worry about them being on the team or not. I like Cooper on the team.
lol...... on or off !
That is pretty simple, but overall not a bad way to look at it.
probably how many here should look at Dak?
He is on so just roll with it!

USArmyVet

Reaction score
For everyone that is about to start a thread complaining about Amari Cooper's contract averaging 20 Million a year, remember that the total dollar amount of the contract is a very small part of the picture.

Zeke's contract was the "biggest RB contract in history" at 6 years and 90 Million. 15 Million per season. But the contract doesn't have a cap hit that big until the fourth year of the contract.

These are the cap hits for the first three years of that record breaking, 15 Million dollar a year contract:

2019 - 6.3 Million

2020 - 10.9 Million

2021 - 13.7 Million

Amari's contract is NOT going to take up 20 million in cap space next year.

You left off 2022 & 2023:

2022- $16.5M cap hit ($10.8M dead money)

2023- $15M cap hit ($6.7M dead money)

So at the earliest Dallas is stuck with Zeke until after the 2023 season when he will be 29 years old. Sorry but committing $13.7M in 2021 and the higher numbers in 2022 and 2023 is far too much for a RB in the NFL.....especially when you just gave $100M deal to the WR and expected $35M+ to the QB.

So for 3 players (Zeke, Cooper, and Dak) the team is committing upwards of $50M-$75M between 2020 and 2023.......sorry but that is a formula for more 8-8 seasons at best.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He’s getting $60 million guaranteed that puts him right there with Julio Jones and Michael Thomas Lol

Nice spin though

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
For everyone that is about to start a thread complaining about Amari Cooper's contract averaging 20 Million a year, remember that the total dollar amount of the contract is a very small part of the picture.

Zeke's contract was the "biggest RB contract in history" at 6 years and 90 Million. 15 Million per season. But the contract doesn't have a cap hit that big until the fourth year of the contract.

These are the cap hits for the first three years of that record breaking, 15 Million dollar a year contract:

2019 - 6.3 Million

2020 - 10.9 Million

2021 - 13.7 Million

Amari's contract is NOT going to take up 20 million in cap space next year.
being reported that sources saying first yr at 10mil or lower

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So if we could do that with Cooper, why not do it with Byron? :huh:I mean the cap is going up anyway right? By that time all these deals would look great with respect to the new cap.
Maybe because Dallas wants to bring someone else in, as far as could they have signed Byron....... yes they could but we don't know their plans.

Kaiser

Reaction score
So for 3 players (Zeke, Cooper, and Dak) the team is committing upwards of $50M-$75M between 2020 and 2023.......sorry but that is a formula for more 8-8 seasons at best.

So the formula for more wins is to get rid of your Pro Bowl players. I'm afraid I'm going to disagree there.

I left off the last three years because they will be renegotiated or the player will take a pay cut, just like every other big contract in the NFL. The 5th year of a contract is basically meaningless.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like the way the Cowboys have protected themselves in the early-going of that contract. At least, it leaves room for them to renegotiate in future years.

CCBoy

Reaction score
His $20 million base salary for 2022 is guaranteed for injury at signing. It becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2022 league year. Which means that the Cowboys can pull the plug and end the deal after two years and $40 million.

Of course, the balance of Cooper’s deal may look very attractive to the Cowboys, if the cap keeps climbing, thanks to the new TV deals. The point is that the team has exclusive flexibility for 2022, 2023, and 2024 to decide whether to keep Cooper or let him go.

If it’s a good deal for the Cowboys based on Cooper’s performance, they’ll keep him. If it’s a bad deal for the Cowboys, they’ll cut him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...million-over-two-years-then-its-year-to-year/