Video: Remembering Don Meredith

Pokes12

Reaction score
My hero growing up in Dallas and then as I moved to Iggles country. Great QB, unbelievably gutty, not disciplined and fun to watch. He had some unreal games in Washington after he and Sonny Jurgenson stayed out till 4 am drinking and having a whale of a time. Dandy always picked up the tab. Sonny had very short arms. One of the best quotes of Mr. Meredith, when a rookie saw him pay a tab that was about $900 and made a comment about the size of the tab, Dandy retorted, "Yup, it is $900 but I had $5,000 worth of fun!!"

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yup, I miss him a lot.
I remember him as a new announcer for Monday Night Football..

him and Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell.

It was his first game back since retiring to the Cotton Bowl.

We were getting killed by the then St. Louis Cardinals like 38-0.

Suddenly the crowd started chanting "Dandy Don..Dandy Don"

and he went to the window of the broadcast booth and waved at the crowd.

He was dearly loved as a player and personality even after retirement.

I was very sorry to see him finally retire from broadcasting.

When I think of all those plays where he would drop back and throw deep to Bobby Hayes and the crowd would jump to its feet to watch.

Those were some great moments.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

When I think of all those plays where he would drop back and throw deep to Bobby Hayes and the crowd would jump to its feet to watch.

I heard of that game. Too young to remember. I heard he said something like, "You ain't getting me out there."

waving monkey

Reaction score

I think this thread made me realize the Meredeth is my favorite from the past ,incredible talent and human being

cowboyec

Reaction score
a true legend.
one of the all-time greats.
gutty,tough,fun-lovin'....an all-time good'n.

bark

Reaction score
Walt Garrison told a story about the time the team charter flight hit turbulence and dropped 300-400 feet in mid flight.
He looked over at Meredith who was sipping a scotch and smoking a cigarette.
Dandy looked up and said” “it’s been a good un huh ?”
R.I.P. dandy don

MS17

Reaction score
That is a great story, easy to visualize Dandy saying that. Safe to say, there will never, ever be another Cowboy like him. God Bless him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of a kind and so poorly treated by the fans. The man was a SMU star and went on to the Cowboys, can't get more local than that, and they booed him into early retirement.

If Booger thinks Weeden throws a pretty pass, he should have seen Don's deep ball. If he'd played in the AFL, he would have been a superstar and rivaled Lamonica as "the mad bomber".

One of the guys I know in the media has a brother that worked for ABC and was actually the booth director the night Cosell was so drunk he puked on Dandy's brand new ostrich skin boots during a break. The booth went silent as Cosell exited and Don was looking down at his boots. He said "since they're ostrich, maybe it won't show". They were all laughing so hard they had a hard time continuing. The director had a crew member take his boots down to clean them and Don took his socks off and put his feet up. Cosell comes back after a while and Don never even acknowledged Howard was back, which only served to keep cracking up the crew. The next month, Don received a brand new pair, signed by Samuel J. Lucchese, grandson of the founder and boot designer to the stars.

I do not know why they never verified the rumor of that happening but it wouldn't surprise me if Don kept a lid on that to protect Howard. That was the beginning of Cosell's decline in health and the shaking mic that he would have preferred people think was because of being intoxicated and not the beginning of Parkinsons.

Don Meredith was my Mickey Mantle of the NFL.