Video: Remembering Don Meredith

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
One of a kind and so poorly treated by the fans. The man was a SMU star and went on to the Cowboys, can't get more local than that, and they booed him into early retirement.

If Booger thinks Weeden throws a pretty pass, he should have seen Don's deep ball. If he'd played in the AFL, he would have been a superstar and rivaled Lamonica as "the mad bomber".

One of the guys I know in the media has a brother that worked for ABC and was actually the booth director the night Cosell was so drunk he puked on Dandy's brand new ostrich skin boots during a break. The booth went silent as Cosell exited and Don was looking down at his boots. He said "since they're ostrich, maybe it won't show". They were all laughing so hard they had a hard time continuing. The director had a crew member take his boots down to clean them and Don took his socks off and put his feet up. Cosell comes back after a while and Don never even acknowledged Howard was back, which only served to keep cracking up the crew. The next month, Don received a brand new pair, signed by Samuel J. Lucchese, grandson of the founder and boot designer to the stars.

I do not know why they never verified the rumor of that happening but it wouldn't surprise me if Don kept a lid on that to protect Howard. That was the beginning of Cosell's decline in health and the shaking mic that he would have preferred people think was because of being intoxicated and not the beginning of Parkinsons.

Don Meredith was my Mickey Mantle of the NFL.
Excellent story. Thanks.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
One of a kind and so poorly treated by the fans. The man was a SMU star and went on to the Cowboys, can't get more local than that, and they booed him into early retirement.

If Booger thinks Weeden throws a pretty pass, he should have seen Don's deep ball. If he'd played in the AFL, he would have been a superstar and rivaled Lamonica as "the mad bomber".

One of the guys I know in the media has a brother that worked for ABC and was actually the booth director the night Cosell was so drunk he puked on Dandy's brand new ostrich skin boots during a break. The booth went silent as Cosell exited and Don was looking down at his boots. He said "since they're ostrich, maybe it won't show". They were all laughing so hard they had a hard time continuing. The director had a crew member take his boots down to clean them and Don took his socks off and put his feet up. Cosell comes back after a while and Don never even acknowledged Howard was back, which only served to keep cracking up the crew. The next month, Don received a brand new pair, signed by Samuel J. Lucchese, grandson of the founder and boot designer to the stars.

I do not know why they never verified the rumor of that happening but it wouldn't surprise me if Don kept a lid on that to protect Howard. That was the beginning of Cosell's decline in health and the shaking mic that he would have preferred people think was because of being intoxicated and not the beginning of Parkinsons.

Don Meredith was my Mickey Mantle of the NFL.

Good comments..

My biggest memory was watching #17 in the Green Bay Packer Championship games of 1966 and 1967.

In the first game, Meredith had driven the team the length of the field late in the game and in a position to win the game with Goal to Go.

Several plays got stopped and it came down to 3rd down needing a TD.

I was in the end zone that game. I was 14 years old. I was in a wheel chair having had knee injury surgery that week and I got put in the handicap section right down on the wall behind the goalposts.

I could see Dandy roll out right looking for Frank Clarke in the back of the end zone.

I could also see everybody in the end zone for Dallas was covered.

I saw Meridith throw the ball..

His eyes wer wide open watching what was a desperation pass.

It got intercept by the Packers and game over.

Everybody in the stadium groaned.

It had been the first year the cowboys were any good and it was really exciting to see us do it.

The next year..

We returned to the Championship Game against the Packers..

the Ice Bowl.

We lost that too.

But Meredith was the guy who kept them in the game against Bart Star.

And will never forget him handing off to Danny Reeves and him throwing a TD to Lance Rentzel.

Unforgettable play.

Thanx Dandy Don.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like a running theme.
We've not had a player take the fan abuse Don took. I think people thought he was so laid back and easy going that it didn't bother him. I can't imagine the feeling of doing everything you can do and getting booed. I have never liked that part of any sport unless it's the other team's fans booing a player and that's respect....and fear.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Redball, I used to work with a guy from GB and he and his Dad were at the Ice Bowl and he said everyone felt the game was in the bag because how could a team from the south come to GB and play in those conditions. And GB was considered the more blue collar team and the Cowboys were finesse.

He said the next week, how bout dem Cowboys was talked about more than the Pack. They earned a lot of respect from fans all over this country that day and were no longer a co-favorite of mine with the Cards. They don't have to win to own my football heart.

I think what they did that day was the first cornerstone laid in the America's Team foundation.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Redball, I used to work with a guy from GB and he and his Dad were at the Ice Bowl and he said everyone felt the game was in the bag because how could a team from the south come to GB and play in those conditions. And GB was considered the more blue collar team and the Cowboys were finesse.

He said the next week, how bout dem Cowboys was talked about more than the Pack. They earned a lot of respect from fans all over this country that day and were no longer a co-favorite of mine with the Cards. They don't have to win to own my football heart.

I think what they did that day was the first cornerstone laid in the America's Team foundation.

Great story Coach.

Since I've been Dandy Don forever in here, this is my favorite Meredith story.

Don's life changed forever after the Ice Bowl. Immediately after the game, CBS sent Frank Gifford down to interview players but couldn't get anybody to come out.

Don found out that a camera crew was set up outside the locker room door, he came out in his underwear, shook hands with Frank and said, "I got no pants Frank, is that okay?" He then gave one of the most gracious and heartfelt interviews Frank had ever heard and he knew how bad he hurt inside.

Gifford was blown away and never forgot how Don conducted himself. He went to the networks and was responsible for getting Don into broadcasting.

I always use that story when talking to people about "Life Defining Moments."

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We've not had a player take the fan abuse Don took. I think people thought he was so laid back and easy going that it didn't bother him. I can't imagine the feeling of doing everything you can do and getting booed. I have never liked that part of any sport unless it's the other team's fans booing a player and that's respect....and fear.
Don's biggest nemesis was the Cleveland Browns.

He could be burning up the league offensively and when it came time to play the Browns..

he would lose 50-0.

Gary Collins, Jim Brown, would run wild.

I know that ate at him too.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Dandy Don was one of the best announcers ever.
Yes..

But I think Romo is on his way to being a top announcer.

I enjoy his point of view and little nugget comments about what the defense and offense is doing with their schemes.

Different from Troy.

And like Meredith..let's his knowledge add to your viewing.

Like him.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yes..

But I think Romo is on his way to being a top announcer.

I enjoy his point of view and little nugget comments about what the defense and offense is doing with their schemes.

Different from Troy.

And like Meredith..let's his knowledge add to your viewing.

Like him.

I agree. I really like Romo a lot. I like Aikman quite a bit too. Not every QB can do it. Joe Theisman was terrible at it. Staubach tried it and wasn't very good.