Remembering drive-in movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can remember seeing my first naked chick watching Brooke Shields in The Blue Lagoon when I was 7 years old. The Urban Cowboy, The Shining, Flash Gordon, Any Which Way You Can, and Return To The 36th Chamber were all movies I remember silently watching peeking through the blinds when my parents weren't watching.
I hope you have seen and heard Flash Gordon since then. The Queen soundtrack is amazing and fits that movie like a glove. :)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One thing that sucked about the experience was the bathroom trough. You had to be desperate to walk all the way to the concession stand, trying to watch the movie and hear it from different speakers as you went along, then get inside and stand between other guys to pee, with no dividers.
My uncle used to bring a pee cup to drive-ins and always had one handy in his car. He had a technique for sitting and peeing in a cup while in his car. He could even do it while he was driving. He developed it while being a truck driver. Once he was done he would just open his car window and dump it out. lol

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
We still have around 6 or 7 of them here in Oklahoma, 1 in OKC proper. Used to be numerous ones here in the City back in the day. Great times.
Winchester Drive in
ghnewsok-OK-5626727-16090714.webp

jrumann59

Reaction score
Where I live in MD we still have a drive in. Almost exactly how I remembered it when I was kid in Missouri going to Drive-in for all the "great" Slasher and typical 80s action movies. Being old enough now a lot of things you can do now in your car if you do not care for one of the movies....

Creeper

Reaction score
Where I live in MD we still have a drive in. Almost exactly how I remembered it when I was kid in Missouri going to Drive-in for all the "great" Slasher and typical 80s action movies. Being old enough now a lot of things you can do now in your car if you do not care for one of the movies....
Where I am the land is too valuable and the land taxes too expensive. A while ago the drive-ins were replaced by driving ranges and mini-golf. Then those were torn down to make way for mini-malls.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The weirdest one I ever visited was in NW Arkansas in the 70’s.

it didn’t have one big screen but a circle of smaller ones about the size of a 50” monitor and they all faced out with the concession stand in the middle. Sound was provided through the radio and you’d just park in front of your screen.

Drive-Ins remind me of PIC’s, mosquito coils that you‘d light inside your vehicle and they smelled funky but not as bad as the dairy farm next door to the Asher Drive-In in Little Rock. Wind would shift and people couldn’t get their windows up fast enough. But it did answer the age old question will a fart stop you from making out? The answer is no.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Where I am the land is too valuable and the land taxes too expensive. A while ago the drive-ins were replaced by driving ranges and mini-golf. Then those were torn down to make way for mini-malls.
The town I lived in Missouri tore the drive in and salvage yard down in the late 80s for one of those super sized car dealers and retail and apartment buildings.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Our local drive-in was across the street from the Middle School and also across the street from a couple of Drive-In restaurants, the old school curb service type places, The Superdog and The Triangle were the places to hang out. The Triangle had the best FF I've ever had. The drive-in got torn down and they built a supermarket, there was a 4 screen drive-in about 15 miles away, but wasn't the same as having one right down the street. :(

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I definitely remember them. We had a few around the Boise area. The last major one survived up until somewhere in the early 90s. In fact, one of the last movies I can remember driving by and seeing playing on the main screen was Batman Returns. Then it stayed abandoned for a few years (though they did have a regular theater at the front of the property that survived for some years longer).

Dang!! So I found it using the Historical Imagery slider on Google Earth. I totally forget they had a second screen that was around the corner from the main drive-in. Crazy peering back into time.

I always thought they were fun. They just kind of had a vibe to them. There is one still running in Caldwell (a suburb of Boise) and I believe there is another one in Parma (a little ways outside the Boise area). I've been meaning to go one weekend for fun, but just haven't yet. Maybe this thread will reinvigorate that idea.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I prefer them to walk-in. If I want to sit in a room and watch a movie, I am much more comfortable in my own home.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I liked it because most had a double feature.
You sat through the "B" film first before getting to the feature presentation

On occasion the B movie would turn out better than the feature presentation.

I was still pretty young during that time so no drive in dates for me.

I also remember my cousin lived in a little housing area that was walking distance from the drive in
We would take a little radio and sit on the hill to watch the movie. They had the speakers you could put in your car windows but this one also set up so you could turn to a specific am station to get the audio
I think the 1st movie I ever watched at a drive in was a Godzilla or King Kong movie I was a kid and thought it was real

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
We still have around 6 or 7 of them here in Oklahoma, 1 in OKC proper. Used to be numerous ones here in the City back in the day. Great times.
Winchester Drive in
ghnewsok-OK-5626727-16090714.webp
There is a grocery store in Rufe Oklahoma beer bait and movies on the weekend they show movies projected on the side of the building at least they use to may still do it

triplets_93

Reaction score
My parents took me to see Goldfinger at the new drive-in in town when I was 10. They had a play area for children with swing sets.

I went to an all night showing of 3 movies when I was a teen. I got a crick in my neck. Never did that again !!!