Remembering Stevie Ray Vaughan who was killed in a helicopter crash 30 years ago today

Hardline

Reaction score
vaugn_stevie_ray_002.jpg

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
It's even Steven for me.
Both are greatness.

For me greatness is creating originality in the stage presence. Alot of performers just redo what's been done before. I guess I like more spotaneity.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For me greatness is creating originality in the stage presence. Alot of performers just redo what's been done before. I guess I like more spotaneity.
Even Eric Clapton once said that when he saw SRV play,he knew he was in the presence of greatness. I like Hendrix, but Stevie was much more precise and fluid.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I remember the traffic congestion his funeral caused in the Metroplex. He was a vastly beloved and respected musician in Texas at the time of his death. It wasn't until after his death that his memory grew to legendary status. RIP SRV.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I remember the traffic congestion his funeral caused in the Metroplex. He was a vastly beloved and respected musician in Texas at the time of his death. It wasn't until after his death that his memory grew to legendary status. RIP SRV.
I have a couple of friends who were venue roadies back in the day. They worked a SRV show once, and afterward they were partying with the band. One of them asked why Stevie wasn't there with them, and one of the band said he was sleeping on the bus, and told my friend to go wake him up. Naturally my friend didn't have the stones to do it, so the guy went and woke him up, and he came back and partied with them. I'm glad he got sober in his life, but I wish I was in on that!

Creeper

Reaction score
Even Eric Clapton once said that when he saw SRV play,he knew he was in the presence of greatness. I like Hendrix, but Stevie was much more precise and fluid.

Clapton made a similar remark about Hendrix. But we have to remember, Hendrix was unique at the time. No one played guitar liked Hendrix. Guitar players who came after him used him as the bar. With time some surpassed Hendrix in playing technique but few could create their own style like Hendrix. SRV came after Hendrix and was clearly one of those guys who picked up from Jimi and in some ways improved on what Jimi did. IMO, SRV is one of the better guitarists of his time. He is also not as well known as he should be.

btw, I never thought Clapton was anywhere near as good as Hendrix. Clapton got better with age and produced some pretty good guitar pieces himself, but as far as ability, technique, originality, Clapton never really achieved the level of Hendrix. I think SRV was a better guitarist than Clapton. Change my mind!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Clapton made a similar remark about Hendrix. But we have to remember, Hendrix was unique at the time. No one played guitar liked Hendrix. Guitar players who came after him used him as the bar. With time some surpassed Hendrix in playing technique but few could create their own style like Hendrix. SRV came after Hendrix and was clearly one of those guys who picked up from Jimi and in some ways improved on what Jimi did. IMO, SRV is one of the better guitarists of his time. He is also not as well known as he should be.

btw, I never thought Clapton was anywhere near as good as Hendrix. Clapton got better with age and produced some pretty good guitar pieces himself, but as far as ability, technique, originality, Clapton never really achieved the level of Hendrix. I think SRV was a better guitarist than Clapton. Change my mind!
I agree, both Jimi and Stevie were better guitarists than Clapton, but that's a really high bar. Even so, it's difficult to compare their styles, as EC is a more laid back, flowing kind of guitarist. For me, SRV is the best there ever was, and I wish he'd had more time to create even more.

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree, both Jimi and Stevie were better guitarists than Clapton, but that's a really high bar. Even so, it's difficult to compare their styles, as EC is a more laid back, flowing kind of guitarist. For me, SRV is the best there ever was, and I wish he'd had more time to create even more.

Clapton met Hendrix for the first time at a club in London. Cream asked Hendrix to take the stage and jam with them. Clapton was literally blown away by Hendrix. He walked off the stage in the middle of the song and said to his band mates, "You didn't tell me he was that f-ing good!" Clapton knew Hendrix was the real deal and that he could not play the way Jimi played.

I can't say I agree that SRV was the best ever. They keep getting better and better all the time. I can't say who is the best anymore, but I am amazed by the technique and versatility of Brian May (Queen) and the natural talent of Slash (Guns n Roses). But there are guitarists who can do so much more than them even. What I do know is Hendrix changed the way everyone plays rock guitar now.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Clapton met Hendrix for the first time at a club in London. Cream asked Hendrix to take the stage and jam with them. Clapton was literally blown away by Hendrix. He walked off the stage in the middle of the song and said to his band mates, "You didn't tell me he was that f-ing good!" Clapton knew Hendrix was the real deal and that he could not play the way Jimi played.

I can't say I agree that SRV was the best ever. They keep getting better and better all the time. I can't say who is the best anymore, but I am amazed by the technique and versatility of Brian May (Queen) and the natural talent of Slash (Guns n Roses). But there are guitarists who can do so much more than them even. What I do know is Hendrix changed the way everyone plays rock guitar now.
Like David Gilmour, May is much better than I realized growing up, and Slash is incredible, but SRV has more emotion to his blues than I've ever felt with any other guitarist.