Report: 49ers contact USC coach Carroll

Doomsday101

Reaction score
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The San Francisco 49ers have contacted two-time national championship coach Pete Carroll of USC as a possible successor to fired Dennis Erickson, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Thursday.
Carroll and the Trojans routed Oklahoma 55-19 in the Orange Bowl, a.k.a. the BCS Championship Game, on Tuesday to win their second straight national title.
The Chronicle said other candidates include New England Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress and Seattle Seahawks coach and San Francisco native Mike Holmgren, if he is fired.
Asked if Carroll would be considered, 49ers owner John York said, "I think we all watched the (national championship) game (Tuesday night). ... They were very dominant and he's a great coach."
Carroll is a native of Marin County, in the San Francisco Bay Area. He was the 49ers' defensive coordinator in 1995-96.

Erickson and general manager Terry Donahue presided over some of the darkest days in the proud history of the 49ers, who lost games, good players and incalculable respect in recent years. They insisted they had a plan to restore the franchise to glory, but owner York decided it’s time for a whole new plan.
York fired Erickson and dismissed Donahue on Wednesday, just three days after the 49ers finished with the NFL’s worst record. York made a rare public appearance to announce the dramatic changes to his team, which went 2-14 to match the worst season in San Francisco history.
“Sometimes, even when everyone works very hard, the formula for winning just isn’t there,” York said. “We’re going to use the extreme disappointment that we all have felt as our turning point.
“We know how much passion 49ers fans have, and we understand that this is unacceptable to our fans. We need our fans to know that it is equally unacceptable to us. We take our responsibility as owners seriously.”
Erickson went 9-23 in two seasons as Steve Mariucci’s successor, never reaching the postseason. He won two national championships at the University of Miami during a successful college coaching career, but is 40-56 in six seasons as an NFL coach in San Francisco and Seattle.
Erickson got the news in a meeting with York on Wednesday morning.
“There really wasn’t much more than that, other than I thanked him for the opportunity,” Erickson said. “They wanted to go their direction, I’ve got to go my direction. It’s a divorce. It’s final now.”
Erickson had three years and $7.5 million remaining on the contract he signed in 2003. The hefty financial package was thought to be the biggest obstacle to York’s desire to make changes, but the owner decided to shoulder the expense — in total, paying Erickson about $1.39 million for every victory with the 49ers.
The new coach and general manager will get to use the first overall pick in the draft, but the 49ers’ reputation has declined steadily since York and his wife took over in 1999. York believes he can fix things and boost the 49ers’ attempts to raise support for a new stadium by hiring new people who can quickly transform his club.
York said he plans to hire a winning head coach with NFL experience before replacing his general manager, though he doesn’t expect one man to hold both jobs. He has a list of fewer than 10 candidates, including a few coaches still working for playoff teams.
York didn’t deny an interest in speaking to former Patriots and Jets coach Pete Carroll, who wrapped up his second straight national championship with Southern California on Tuesday night.
“I think we all watched the game last night. That was a tremendous game,” York said. “They were very dominant, and he’s a great coach.”
Donahue, the longtime UCLA coach, was the hand-picked successor to Bill Walsh, who led the team’s rebuilding from a similar salary cap-induced funk five years ago. Just four months after Donahue signed a four-year contract extension reportedly worth about $5 million, he reached a financial settlement with York.
“I am very disappointed that I do not have the opportunity to remain with the 49ers,” Donahue said in a statement. “There is absolutely no doubt in my mind with the improvement in the salary cap situation, the return of a lot of injured players along with a good draft, that we would have experienced a great deal of success in the future.”
Since 2001, Donahue has been criticized for mediocre drafts and unorthodox strategies, from his difficult salary cap relief plan to his reliance on unusual player evaluation methods.
After last Sunday’s 21-7 loss to New England, York spent two days interviewing Erickson and Donahue while he mulled his decision.
The 49ers won five championships from 1981-94, but on York’s watch they’ve had just two winning seasons and won just one playoff game. Last month, York said he was extremely disappointed with the 49ers’ season, and he expected to make big changes to the organization.
Erickson is the second coach fired by York in slightly less than two years, following his abrupt dismissal of Mariucci days after a second-round playoff loss at Tampa Bay.
While Erickson took much of the heat for the 49ers’ record, many of their shortcomings were due to a stripped-down roster assembled by Donahue, who waived several veterans and pared the payroll last summer to rid the 49ers of “dead money” being paid to players no longer with the team.
San Francisco had nearly $29 million in dead money this season despite the departures of Terrell Owens, Jeff Garcia, Garrison Hearst and Derrick Deese and Ron Stone.
The 49ers knew they would struggle this season with that young, inexpensive roster.
“Nobody thought we’d be sitting here at 2-14,” York said. “Absolutely nobody.”
Many of San Francisco’s best players missed much of the year with injuries, including linebacker Julian Peterson, center Jeremy Newberry and quarterback Tim Rattay, who started just nine games. Eleven players finished the season on injured reserve.
Erickson, the 14th coach in San Francisco history, is 144-57-1 as a head coach at five universities, but never had a winning season in six years in the NFL.
Erickson said this season was the toughest of his life, and though he expressed his desire to return, he probably isn’t heartbroken to be leaving an organization that seemed to get more dysfunctional with each loss. Last month, Erickson even met with Mississippi officials about their vacant head coaching position.
Erickson said he doesn’t want to get out of coaching. Syracuse has the only remaining Division I-A vacancy.
© 2005 NBC Sports.com

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
It makes sense . . .

Come to San Francisco . . .

Bring Norm Chow . . .

And draft Leinhardt #1 overall . . .

The stars are all aligned . . .

But I'd laugh my arse off if he made the move and drafted Aaron Rogers first . . . :)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is it with this york guy?

I mean first Dennis and now Pete....has he not seen these guys struggle in the pros, then look good in college, only to come back to the pros and struggle?

BTW...do not be shocked if this thread gets moved after a while. :cool:

Gaede

Reaction score
It would be a perfect situation for Carrol, but why mess up a good thing?

You really can't fault him if he stays in college or goes to the NFL again.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Hey, if ya can't beat em.... hope they get stolen away by the NFL!!! :D

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Not good news but they may have to throw him a boat load of money to get him to leave.

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
What is it with this york guy?

I mean first Dennis and now Pete....has he not seen these guys struggle in the pros, then look good in college, only to come back to the pros and struggle?

BTW...do not be shocked if this thread gets moved after a while. :cool:

Carrol wasn't as bad of an NFL coach as people think . . .

He did make two Playoff appearances.

And he wasn't exactly in the best of situations . . .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Midswat said:
It makes sense . . .

Bring Norm Chow . . .

But I'd laugh my arse off if he made the move and drafted Aaron Rogers first . . . :)

Money is a real factor here. I think Carroll currently gets something like 5 mil per. That's a lot to pay a coach. As for Norm Chow, why would he come to the NFL to be an OC? If I were him, I would rather stay on at SC and see if I could get named HC.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Midswat said:
It makes sense . . .

Bring Norm Chow . . .

Now that would be funny, but if York offers Carroll 4 mil a year he might jump, bring in Chow for more than a college job and Liernert would be perfect, then go ahead and draft about 2 more SC players. Draft bush next season and gets fired for going 5 -27 over 2 years...

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Midswat said:
Carrol wasn't as bad of an NFL coach as people think . . .

He did make two Playoff appearances.

And he wasn't exactly in the best of situations . . .

He actually made the most out of some pretty bad positions he was put in. I think the 9er's have only 1 more year of being in salary cap prison.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
This is one of the few stories that profootballtalk.com actually has gotten right. They've been predicting it for days--only saying that it's not the 49ers but that Carroll has been lobbying the 49ers heavily for the position.

Eddie

Reaction score
While Erickson is far from a great coach, but you gotta give the guy a chance. 1st year with NO money on a club with serious Cap issues.

ha ha. Serves them right. I hope they struggle for another 20 years.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
Money is a real factor here. I think Carroll currently gets something like 5 mil per. That's a lot to pay a coach. As for Norm Chow, why would he come to the NFL to be an OC? If I were him, I would rather stay on at SC and see if I could get named HC.

That is what I would do if I was Norm as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Some of these college coaches have it made which is why guys like Bowden never looked to leave. The good ones are treated like gods

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
If i was Carroll i would stay right where i am. Winning the National Championship earns him a free pass for a few years to come that is for sure. I cant Although money does do a lot of talking that is for sure.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
because chow will get more money to be a OC then a head coach at SC, plus he has no heading coaching experience.why mess up a good thing, he's an OC not a HC, Been Head coach Chow would not be able to concentrate on Only Offense. Also he's a great QB coach, been HC someone else does that.....

There's more to been a head Coach expect been a great OC

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
because chow will get more money to be a OC then a head coach at SC, plus he has no heading coaching experience.why mess up a good thing, he's an OC not a HC, Been Head coach Chow would not be able to concentrate on Only Offense. Also he's a great QB coach, been HC someone else does that.....

There's more to been a head Coach expect been a great OC

I would like to see how it is that you have come by this information. Where does it say that Chow will get more money if he's an OC in the NFL? Chow currently makes well over a million dollars to OC per year.

There are lots of HCs that were coordinators before getting a head job. Chow may or may not be able to be a head coach but there's no way of saying he can't do it if he's never tried. It's public knowledge that Chow is interested in being a HC in the right situation. I'd say chances are slim that would take place in the NFL anytime soon. He has a much better chance of becoming an HC at the college level.

I call BS on your post. I don't dispute your right to have an opinion but none of what you said is fact. It's all speculation based on what you believe.

The question here is what does Chow want to do?

lkelly

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I would like to see how it is that you have come by this information. Where does it say that Chow will get more money if he's an OC in the NFL? Chow currently makes well over a million dollars to OC per year.

There are lots of HCs that were coordinators before getting a head job. Chow may or may not be able to be a head coach but there's no way of saying he can't do it if he's never tried. It's public knowledge that Chow is interested in being a HC in the right situation. I'd say chances are slim that would take place in the NFL anytime soon. He has a much better chance of becoming an HC at the college level.

I call BS on your post. I don't dispute your right to have an opinion but none of what you said is fact. It's all speculation based on what you believe.

The question here is what does Chow want to do?

Can you quote where you are getting your financial figures from?

It is my understanding that Stoops is at around the top of the college coaching pay scale at roughly $2.3 million a year. There is no way that Caroll makes 2 times more than any other college coach at $5 million. Right now, that's the top rate of NFL coaches (Joes Gibbs). Show me the link to info that backs up that salary and one that shows Chow makes over a million dollars annually. I estimated he was in the neighborhood of $600K.

There are very few college programs that can ever hope to compete with a motivated NFL owner in the area of coaching salaries. They may be able to stave off a Bill Bidwell type for a year, but if a deep pocketed owner like Jones, Snyder, or Allen comes along it is lights out. College athletic departments are often bloated, misguided financial enterprises, but at some point they have to pay for all the scholarships, equipment, and facilities. They have a college board of directors to satisfy. NFL owners have no salary cap on what they can spend on a coach. If Jerry wants to give a Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Jimmy Johnson, or Ray Handley $20 million a year and partial ownership in the team, it's his call.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
lkelly said:
Can you quote where you are getting your financial figures from?

It is my understanding that Stoops is at around the top of the college coaching pay scale at roughly $2.3 million a year. There is no way that Caroll makes 2 times more than any other college coach at $5 million. Right now, that's the top rate of NFL coaches (Joes Gibbs). Show me the link to info that backs up that salary and one that shows Chow makes over a million dollars annually. I estimated he was in the neighborhood of $600K.

There are very few college programs that can ever hope to compete with a motivated NFL owner in the area of coaching salaries. They may be able to stave off a Bill Bidwell type for a year, but if a deep pocketed owner like Jones, Snyder, or Allen comes along it is lights out. College athletic departments are often bloated, misguided financial enterprises, but at some point they have to pay for all the scholarships, equipment, and facilities. They have a college board of directors to satisfy. NFL owners have no salary cap on what they can spend on a coach. If Jerry wants to give a Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Jimmy Johnson, or Ray Handley $20 million a year and partial ownership in the team, it's his call.

The 5 Million dollar figure was from an editorial that was aired on ESPN, I believe last night. It was mentioned that the sum the 49rs would have to be willing to pay in order for Carroll to leave SC would be in the area of 5 Milion Dollars. I don't know that this is what he makes as a base salary but that is what was said. He may have TV deals or clinics or whatever, I don't know.

The 1 Million plus for Chow was written in several diffent publications when he left NCST for USC. It was a big to do down there as they didn't have the money to counter the offers.

Also, I believe that Stoops just signed a new extension that pays him something in the area of 4 Million. I could be very wrong there but I believe it was the result of the bidding war it took to keep him at OU rather then losing him to Florida.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Midswat said:
It makes sense . . .

Bring Norm Chow . . .

Why would Norm Chow follow him when he could be the head coach at USC? If Carrol leaves, it's likely they will retain Chow as the heac coach considering the available talent they have even if Leinart were to depart