Report: 49ers contact USC coach Carroll

lkelly

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
The 5 Million dollar figure was from an editorial that was aired on ESPN, I believe last night. It was mentioned that the sum the 49rs would have to be willing to pay in order for Carroll to leave SC would be in the area of 5 Milion Dollars. I don't know that this is what he makes as a base salary but that is what was said. He may have TV deals or clinics or whatever, I don't know.

The 1 Million plus for Chow was written in several diffent publications when he left NCST for USC. It was a big to do down there as they didn't have the money to counter the offers.

Also, I believe that Stoops just signed a new extension that pays him something in the area of 4 Million. I could be very wrong there but I believe it was the result of the bidding war it took to keep him at OU rather then losing him to Florida.

What San Fran would need to pay him to lure him to the NFL doesn't really relate to what he's making in college.

From an article dated Jan. 1, 2005 about Stoops:
" Stoops was guaranteed $2.3 million in 2004. The total 2004 income could increase to almost $2.66 million, depending in part on the outcome of Tuesday's Orange Bowl."

" Stoops has been at or near the top of college football's salary structure for the last several years, but other coaches have recently reached the $2 million benchmark.

Nick Saban, who last week accepted the Miami Dolphins' head coaching position, made $2.3 million in 2004 and would have made $2.4 million next season. This week, Texas' Mack Brown received a new contract worth $25 million over 10 years. Last week, Auburn's Tommy Tuberville agreed to a seven-year deal worth approximately $15 million."

Now, with Carroll, I don't believe his contract is public info since USC is a private University. However, it isn't hard to guess:

From today's LA Times:
"When Carroll was hired by USC in December 2000, he signed a five-year contract that paid him approximately $1 million annually. He is thought to have received a significant raise after leading the Trojans to an 11-2 record in 2002, a season that culminated with a victory over Iowa in the Orange Bowl."

From CNNSI, just 13 months ago:
"Coach: Pete Carroll
Not Available/private university. Reportedly: $1.2 million"

There isn't any way Carroll is making far more than Stoops, nor did they quadruple his salary in the last 12 months.

From the Jan. 2, 2005 San Jose Mercury News on Chow:
"Estimates place his salary at close to $500,000, about what he would have made at Stanford. Two years ago he turned down Kentucky's offer, the only he's received."

From CNNSI on Chow:
" Perhaps more than even Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush or Dwayne Jarrett, Chow is USC's most valuable weapon. With an impeccable track record, universal respect among his players and a salary (nearly $500,000) approaching that of many head coaches, Chow carries more clout than any assistant in the country."

Once again, if you'd like to provide some sort of evidence that Chow is making double what the media is reporting, and Carroll is making twice what the highest paid college coaches are making, I'll be happy to read it. I certainly hope Mike Garrett knows what you know. Otherwise, his budget will be severely in the red for 2005.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
lkelly said:
What San Fran would need to pay him to lure him to the NFL doesn't really relate to what he's making in college.

From an article dated Jan. 1, 2005 about Stoops:
" Stoops was guaranteed $2.3 million in 2004. The total 2004 income could increase to almost $2.66 million, depending in part on the outcome of Tuesday's Orange Bowl."

" Stoops has been at or near the top of college football's salary structure for the last several years, but other coaches have recently reached the $2 million benchmark.

Nick Saban, who last week accepted the Miami Dolphins' head coaching position, made $2.3 million in 2004 and would have made $2.4 million next season. This week, Texas' Mack Brown received a new contract worth $25 million over 10 years. Last week, Auburn's Tommy Tuberville agreed to a seven-year deal worth approximately $15 million."

Now, with Carroll, I don't believe his contract is public info since USC is a private University. However, it isn't hard to guess:

From today's LA Times:
"When Carroll was hired by USC in December 2000, he signed a five-year contract that paid him approximately $1 million annually. He is thought to have received a significant raise after leading the Trojans to an 11-2 record in 2002, a season that culminated with a victory over Iowa in the Orange Bowl."

From CNNSI, just 13 months ago:
"Coach: Pete Carroll
Not Available/private university. Reportedly: $1.2 million"

There isn't any way Carroll is making far more than Stoops, nor did they quadruple his salary in the last 12 months.

From the Jan. 2, 2005 San Jose Mercury News on Chow:
"Estimates place his salary at close to $500,000, about what he would have made at Stanford. Two years ago he turned down Kentucky's offer, the only he's received."

From CNNSI on Chow:
" Perhaps more than even Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush or Dwayne Jarrett, Chow is USC's most valuable weapon. With an impeccable track record, universal respect among his players and a salary (nearly $500,000) approaching that of many head coaches, Chow carries more clout than any assistant in the country."

Once again, if you'd like to provide some sort of evidence that Chow is making double what the media is reporting, and Carroll is making twice what the highest paid college coaches are making, I'll be happy to read it. I certainly hope Mike Garrett knows what you know. Otherwise, his budget will be severely in the red for 2005.

Nice research. I don't have anything in writting that would disprove anything you have put down here. Having said that, I know that 5 million was the number reported on ESPN. With a little luck, it will be rebroadcasted for you to hear.

Chow is surprising and I am skeptical of the 500K salary. However, I don't have anything in writting so I have to conceed your point. I will try to find some of the old articles from when he left NCST.

lkelly

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Nice research. I don't have anything in writting that would disprove anything you have put down here. Having said that, I know that 5 million was the number reported on ESPN. With a little luck, it will be rebroadcasted for you to hear.

Chow is surprising and I am skeptical of the 500K salary. However, I don't have anything in writting so I have to conceed your point. I will try to find some of the old articles from when he left NCST.

Carroll may WANT five million to go to the 49ers. I know that's what I would ask if I were his agent. Spurrier got that to go to the Skins. If he gets control over personnel, he'll be in a position of power so he should be paid well. Heck, now I sound like his agent.

Regardless, there's no way USC can match what a big spending owner (since when is York one?) would pay. Maybe if Speilberg and some other big money alums opened up their wallets and gave him cash...

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
From USA Today...
Posted 1/6/2005 8:40 PM
Carroll says he's not interested in 49ers

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Southern California coach Pete Carroll, mentioned as a possible target of the San Francisco 49ers' coaching search, said Thursday that he has no interest in the job.
"I have not been contacted, I don't expect to be contacted, and I'm not interested," Carroll said.

A former 49ers assistant and later head coach of the New York Jets and New England Patriots, Carroll has guided USC to consecutive national titles.