Report: Chargers tell Rivers, Gates not to go to Tomlinson ceremony

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rivers-gates-not-to-go-to-tomlinson-ceremony/

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2017, 11:49 AM EDT

457511308-e1501516104526.jpg

Two of LaDainian Tomlinson’s former teammates are reportedly being told they’re not allowed to get out of practice to see Tomlinson enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday.

Alex Marvez of Sporting News reports that new Chargers coach Anthony Lynn told quarterback Philip Rivers and tight end Antonio Gates they need to attend the Chargers’ open training camp practice at their new home field, the StubHub Center, rather than travel to Canton.

According to the report, Gates is considering going to Canton anyway, against his coach’s orders.

Lynn is like many football coaches in thinking a training camp practice is more important than a ceremony, although if his stance is alienating two respected veteran players, he may be wise to consider making an exception.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I usually get annoyed when incoming rookies hold out over contract disputes, but I didn't blame him when Bosa did it last year.

I'm surprised any free agent would ever voluntarily play for that organization. And now the coach is falling right in line with the rest of ownership

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I usually get annoyed when incoming rookies hold out over contract disputes, but I didn't blame him when Bosa did it last year.

I'm surprised any free agent would ever voluntarily play for that organization. And now the coach is falling right in line with the rest of ownership
I hope they like being a second class team in their new city.

joseephuss

Reaction score
How often do current players attend the HoF induction ceremonies? Were Rivers and Gates even planning on attending in the first place? They definitely should now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Talk about no awareness by the coach.

1 practice means nothing.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO really lame by the owner as well. This should be a moment for the entire organzation to celebrate and should have been planned accordingly. Like say have opening day moved forward or back to avoid the conflict.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If I were either of them, I would go and the Chargers would be smart to ST Youknowwhat U

Aven8

Reaction score
is this a San Diego/LA thing or what?? Have fun playing this season for 30k fans from a city that could give a crap!