News: Report: Cowboys designate OG La'El Collins for return from IR

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Ima go on a limb and say they're probably not going to replace their healthy starting RT of 10 seasons right before the playoffs with a young player just returned from IR for 10 weeks who's never played the position at this level.

It must mean that they think there could be an issue with Leary, and in turn with Collins. Not that we'd expect to make that many roster changes leading into the playoffs, but we're limited to 4 total, and this was one of them, so there probably is a reason for it beyond a player they liked at OG being available.

At first, I thought maybe they were looking at bringing Tapper in with Gregory going out and wanted insurance for Leary and so brought in Cooper to fill that role, but that doesn't look like that's what they're doing.

Ima gonna think this is the most outstanding post concerning the o-line, Collins and Free in the history of o-line posts. If it wasn't a waste of a great mod, I'd nominate you for Dallas Cowboys GmM/coaching school.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Ima go on a limb and say they're probably not going to replace their healthy starting RT of 10 seasons right before the playoffs with a young player just returned from IR for 10 weeks who's never played the position at this level.

It must mean that they think there could be an issue with Leary, and in turn with Collins. Not that we'd expect to make that many roster changes leading into the playoffs, but we're limited to 4 total, and this was one of them, so there probably is a reason for it beyond a player they liked at OG being available.

At first, I thought maybe they were looking at bringing Tapper in with Gregory going out and wanted insurance for Leary and so brought in Cooper to fill that role, but that doesn't look like that's what they're doing.

I don't know about you guys, but I really love it when you see a really practical post like this, and @Common Sense is one of the 'likes' below it.

It's hilarious.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ima gonna think this is the most outstanding post concerning the o-line, Collins and Free in the history of o-line posts. If it wasn't a waste of a great mod, I'd nominate you for Dallas Cowboys GmM/coaching school.

Inside this 40 year old body, there's the brain of a 40 year old, after all.

Knotamus

Reaction score
4 combo guards on the roster, plus Looney.

Something must be happening. Is Leary more hurt than they're leading on?

Is Collins potentially going to slide into the tackle position?

I don't know. The numbers just don't seem to add up at face value

The more concerning question.. Is Tyron Smith more injured? He's been dealing with multiple injuries all season. He hasn't been practicing and didn't play last game. I know it's "precautionary", but Smith's injuries have been worrying me lately. He hasn't looked himself the last few games he's played. Granted, Smith at 80% is still better than most LT's in the league. But it is worth mentioning.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Looks like we are loading up on the oline..........no surprise that our strategy in the playoffs will be to just road grade teams into the ground.

I like it:thumbup:

silver

Reaction score
Seems to me they don't want to rely on Cleary or Looney seeing extended playing time with both Smith and Leary nursing back injuries. They want as little drop off as possible in the OL play. Don't know about Cooper, but Collins is a bonafide NFL offensive lineman.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Seems to me they don't want to rely on Cleary or Looney seeing extended playing time with both Smith and Leary nursing back injuries. They want as little drop off as possible in the OL play. Don't know about Cooper, but Collins is a bonafide NFL offensive lineman.

We are going to ride or die with the oline in the playoffs....................this should be good.:D

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was hoping for Tapper also.
It would be good but I prefer they not put him back into action too soon. Giving him the entire season off might be his best chance to recover from his issue.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If Collins had been healthy and practicing at OG, I think he could move to RT with minimal practice and possibly be better than Free; however, considering his injury and time off it seems like a near zero possibility.

chris1995

Reaction score
Man, you guys will think I'm freakin' nuts, but.........I'd give Collins a try at DT next training camp.

He's got a mean streak to him. He's athletic as hell.

I mean he's is 6-4/ 320+..............
Likes to hit people run block.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Just picture Collins roaming into the second level burying LBers and DBs.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Man, you guys will think I'm freakin' nuts, but.........I'd give Collins a try at DT next training camp.

He's got a mean streak to him. He's athletic as hell.

I mean he's is 6-4/ 320+..............

Just nuts because Collins has 1st round talent at OL. He's going to make people forget about Leary, and Leary is a good player.

Haha, I was thinking that same thing about Johnathan Cooper though. It was his athleticism and foot quickness that led him to being #7 in the draft, I was thinking what he'd look like with some 3T snaps. Big enough to be a pass penetrating 1 too.

As far as the topic, i'm pumped that Collins is able to come back this season. Having this kind of depth on our OL in the playoffs is like cheating.

Next year will be Smith - Collins - Travis - Zack, Free/Green. Collins might get snaps at RT in camp, but he's going to start at G.

I'm hoping a RT candidate is BPA in the 3/4. Go ahead and just lock that position down and our OL is set.