Report: NFL could push for 18-game schedule in labor talks

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Players are gonna be mush by the end of 18 games. $ sucks.
You add the potential for even more games in the postseason, which arguably are more taxing games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd watch 52 games a year if I could, I love the game. But things would need to be adjusted with scenario.

Of course, there would be practices, but not these farcical preseason games that nobody plays in anyway.

So, I still think preseason or scrimmages are more important than they get credit for. Just my opinion.
Another thing is all of the recorded statistics and records would all change again. Not that it really matters, but still.

Not necessarily. My own idea and one that I've seen mentioned elsewhere as well, involves an 18-game season, but only 16 games for individual players.

In other words, while the team overall plays 18 games, each player only plays 16 games with two required off weeks. It would require expanded rosters (but I think they're doing that anyway) and some creative scheduling, but it would ultimately accomplish both things. It would minimize wear and tear on the players, and also keep the 16-game player records intact.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't like it because I don't think we need more than 16 games to determine who the best teams are. What would help is to expand the roster.

For those that dislike the pre season, cutting the pre season doesn't have to mean you add two games. But they'll never do that if it means losing money. But now pre season is rarely used to ready the starters for the regular season. More to see who stands out among the backups.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Of course, there would be practices, but not these farcical preseason games that nobody plays in anyway.

Not necessarily. My own idea and one that I've seen mentioned elsewhere as well, involves an 18-game season, but only 16 games for individual players.

In other words, while the team overall plays 18 games, each player only plays 16 games with two required off weeks. It would require expanded rosters (but I think they're doing that anyway) and some creative scheduling, but it would ultimately accomplish both things. It would minimize wear and tear on the players, and also keep the 16-game player records intact.
The preseason games are for evaluating new /young players. It's not for established starters. They're not meant to be authentic games. As it is, there are only 4 preseason games to iron your entire roster out.

Yeah, I don't see your scenario as reasonable, but that's just me.

At the very least, I would leave things as is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The preseason games are for evaluating new /young players. It's not for established starters. They're not meant to be authentic games. As it is, there are only 4 preseason games to iron your entire roster out.

The vast majority of which don't even make it to NFL rosters. Very few roster decisions are made based on what happens in preseason games.

Yeah, I don't see your scenario as reasonable, but that's just me.

At the very least, I would leave things as is.

Then we agree to disagree. Respectfully.

Preseason games are a waste of time and I'll gladly trade them for games that would count.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Not sure this will fly with players and frankly I don't blame them. Why should they agree to two additional games when they can get paid the same money for 16 games. Concessions on the marijuana policy won't cut it either coz I'm sure players with say hell I don't smoke so why should agree to that. Just me, but the only way I see players agreeing this is new money from an additional percentage of revenues.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...uld-push-for-18-game-schedule-in-labor-talks/

Report: NFL could push for 18-game schedule in labor talks
Posted by Charean Williams on May 29, 2019, 6:54 PM EDT
The NFL could seek an 18-game regular season or an expanded playoff field in a new labor deal, Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports. In return, Maske says, many owners are willing to offer players concessions to the commissioner’s disciplinary authority and to the marijuana policy.

Maske quoted a high-ranking official with one NFL team saying “some owners . . . would like to expand the season” to 18 games but added it’s not clear “if there is much support from the players on that.”

Of course player safety is 100% the primary driver of all decisions...

Gooddell is such a disaster. The product on the field has already taken a down turn. The preseason is a joke. They change all these rules to "protect" the players then turn extra points into field goals, have Thursday games, 2 point conversions, International play, and now 18 games? Simply moronic. The first thing they need to do is expand the rosters. The second thing they need to do is make kick offs mean something again with the expanded roster. The third thing they need to do is make the extra point no longer a FG. The fourth thing they need to do is make preseason 3 games. Starters play 1Q, 2Q, 3Q in those games. Plenty of time to work out the kinks and see what else you have on the roster. The last game is simply useless. The fifth thing they need to do is to impose extreme fines for dirty plays. I am talking $250K to the player, the head coach, and the owner. Each. Then they need to enforce that. Let's do this for 10 years and then see if 18 games is even possible. If these clowns need to make more money sooner - expand the playoffs.

I swear everything that comes out of the league office these days hurts the game.

Big_D

Reaction score
Of course player safety is 100% the primary driver of all decisions...

Gooddell is such a disaster. The product on the field has already taken a down turn. The preseason is a joke. They change all these rules to "protect" the players then turn extra points into field goals, have Thursday games, 2 point conversions, International play, and now 18 games? Simply moronic. The first thing they need to do is expand the rosters. The second thing they need to do is make kick offs mean something again with the expanded roster. The third thing they need to do is make the extra point no longer a FG. The fourth thing they need to do is make preseason 3 games. Starters play 1Q, 2Q, 3Q in those games. Plenty of time to work out the kinks and see what else you have on the roster. The last game is simply useless. The fifth thing they need to do is to impose extreme fines for dirty plays. I am talking $250K to the player, the head coach, and the owner. Each. Then they need to enforce that. Let's do this for 10 years and then see if 18 games is even possible. If these clowns need to make more money sooner - expand the playoffs.

I swear everything that comes out of the league office these days hurts the game.

Thursday games are ridiculous. You can't preach player safety then have them on a 4 day turnaround to play again. Should just be Sundays and Mondays with a few Saturdays sprinkled in toward the end of the year. But you're absolutely right, it seems like most decisions the league has made hurts more than it helps. And that 4th preseason game is pure garbage but fans still pay full price for it. 3 is more than enough to evaluate what you have. 2 games and a few scrimmages would also do the job. I think there are too may elements that would have to change to move to 18 games as it stands right now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thursday games are ridiculous. You can't preach player safety then have them on a 4 day turnaround to play again. Should just be Sundays and Mondays with a few Saturdays sprinkled in toward the end of the year. But you're absolutely right, it seems like most decisions the league has made hurts more than it helps. And that 4th preseason game is pure garbage but fans still pay full price for it. 3 is more than enough to evaluate what you have. 2 games and a few scrimmages would also do the job. I think there are too may elements that would have to change to move to 18 games as it stands right now.

Ask the players projecting to only a three year career, if they would rather be paid for real games or just practice games, and see where they side. Not even considering the injury challenges.