Rewatching NY Jets vs Cowboys

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't recall it clearly enough to say for sure. but this seems like a reasonable take. I'm sure a conservative game plan is what killed them against New Orleans. In that game, with Brees out, it seemed apparent the team believed they would win as long as they didn't make big mistakes, so they went ultra conservative on offense to avoid mistakes. The result is it stagnated the offense. The same may well have been the case against the Jets.

I just listened to part of a Cowboys Break episode the other day, and they mentioned "Garrett's M.O.", where he tried to play conservatively no matter what and keep the game within a touchdown to hopefully 'pull out a victory' at the end. I guess it's now OK for even the Cowboys-owned media to admit the obvious at this point since the pet project is no longer here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just listened to part of a Cowboys Break episode the other day, and they mentioned "Garrett's M.O.", where he tried to play conservatively no matter what and keep the game within a touchdown to hopefully 'pull out a victory' at the end. I guess it's now OK for even the Cowboys-owned media to admit the obvious at this point since the pet project is no longer here.
If that's true, it's a ridiculous strategy because it also allows weaker teams to keep pace and have a chance in the end. If you can muscle past a team you should do it. That doesn't mean getting reckless, but it does mean using your weapons fully and letting them do what they are paid to do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that's true, it's a ridiculous strategy because it also allows weaker teams to keep pace and have a chance in the end. If you can muscle past a team you should do it. That doesn't mean getting reckless, but it does mean using your weapons fully and letting them do what they are paid to do.

They also mentioned how it played out in results, and how the Garrett-led Cowboys teams very rarely 'blew teams out' even when they clearly had a huge advantage in talent. And then of course, how many games did they lose where you knew the other team should have never have been in it? Look no further than the final nail in Garrett's coffin against Philadelphia. That team was a MASH unit of injuries and yet they still beat Garrett's Cowboys.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cowboys hurt bad, no TSmith, no LCollins, Cooper goes out. Rd taken off board in 3rd for bogus Offensive interference on Wilson.
drops by Gallup.

Our defense got us beat. We allowed Sam Darnold who had been quarantined for three weeks with a disease to have a career game. He shredded us for 338 yards. He had 2 TDs, completed 71% of his passes and finished with a passer rating of 113.8. Our defense gave up one of the longest touchdown passes in the entire league. Our offense couldn’t do much but our defense was embarrassing!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If there’s one game from last season I would hate to rewatch it’s the Jets game. They may have been the worst team in the league when we played them. I knew after that game we were in for a rough season. We were coming off back to back losses and the Jets looked like just what the doctor ordered to get back on track. lol

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Darnold, Trubisky, Allen, Driskel to name a few

And what was Darnold saying after the Cowboys win? "The Cowboys do what they do."

Darnold's quote the following week against the Patriots? "I'm seeing hosts out there."

One team is attacking, the other sits back plays basic stuff, and hopes that they don't get beat. Checkers vs chess. And that's why one has either been winning championships or in the mix for titles for decades and the other hasn't.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
usually you do that if your team is less talented and if he was payton, bilicheck I would say fine, his in game management and strategy will lead to more victories that losses. however, given he lacked in game management often making wrong calls at wrong time, then its a very bad strategy....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
usually you do that if your team is less talented and if he was payton, bilicheck I would say fine, his in game management and strategy will lead to more victories that losses. however, given he lacked in game management often making wrong calls at wrong time, then its a very bad strategy....

It's one that you use in the situations you described - when you're overmatched. But for Garrett, that was his every week strategy, no matter who they lined up against. And it's why otherwise mediocre quarterbacks like Darnold, Allen, and Trubisky could have 'career days' against him.

Tussinman

Reaction score
This fanbase overrates their talent. I'm fine with overrating them when they win 11 or 12 wins. But when you are hovering around 7 to 9 wins......you are a game away from being a 6 win team. Ultimately they are no better than the Jets were. That's what they exhibited.
Kinda like how half the fanbase said the Thankgiving game was going to a spanking because the Bills our pretenders (pretenders = I can't name 3 players on their roster but there the bills and where the cowboys, guranteed win)

Everyone who had watched the bills up till that game was like "uhh they have a top 10 defense, Singletary is back from injury and is getting over 5 yards a carry, and Allen has 14 TD's with only 1 pick in his last 6 games. this game is going to be a wake up call".

No surpise the cowboys got spanked

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Kinda like how half the fanbase said the Thankgiving game was going to a spanking because the Bills our pretenders (pretenders = I can't name 3 players on their roster but there the bills and where the cowboys, guranteed win)

Everyone who had watched the bills up till that game was like "uhh they have a top 10 defense, Singletary is back from injury and is getting over 5 yards a carry, and Allen has 14 TD's with only 1 pick in his last 6 games. this game is going to be a wake up call".

No surpise the cowboys got spanked
Bills were pretenders though. Cowboys just happened to be pretenders too and even worse offenders of it then they were.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don't care what they were, upsets happen in every sport . That's a fact, you don't have to rationalize anything.

Calling it an upset is rationalizing. Let's look at the two teams:

Jets went 0-3 with a third-string bum named Luke Falk playing QB, signed off the street after they lost two QBs to injury. Jets went 7-6 in their other games.

Dallas went 8-8.

The Jets were playing at home.

The fantasy is that the Cowboys were soooooooooo much better than the Jets. Reality says otherwise.

Dre11

Reaction score
Our defense got us beat. We allowed Sam Darnold who had been quarantined for three weeks with a disease to have a career game. He shredded us for 338 yards. He had 2 TDs, completed 71% of his passes and finished with a passer rating of 113.8. Our defense gave up one of the longest touchdown passes in the entire league. Our offense couldn’t do much but our defense was embarrassing!

our defense didnt get us beat, we couldnt score, our defense gave up points, but we couldn't compete offensively

Dre11

Reaction score
Calling it an upset is rationalizing. Let's look at the two teams:

Jets went 0-3 with a third-string bum named Luke Falk playing QB, signed off the street after they lost two QBs to injury. Jets went 7-6 in their other games.

Dallas went 8-8.

The Jets were playing at home.

The fantasy is that the Cowboys were soooooooooo much better than the Jets. Reality says otherwise.

it was an upset at the time we were the better team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
our defense didnt get us beat, we couldnt score, our defense gave up points, but we couldn't compete offensively

Our defense got us beat. We moved the football and put up 22 points but our defense couldn’t stop Darnold who we made look like a Hall of Fame QB. We actually had more total yards than the Jets. We certainly weren’t great offensively but our defense was dreadful! Our offense didn’t get near the opportunities they would have had our D showed up.

Dre11

Reaction score
Our defense got us beat. We moved the football and put up 22 points but our defense couldn’t stop Darnold who we made look like a Hall of Fame QB. We actually had more total yards than the Jets. We certainly weren’t great offensively but our defense was dreadful! Our offense didn’t get near the opportunities they would have had our D showed up.

we had 6 damn points at half and 9 after 3 quarters. the defense gave up 3 points the entire second half. The offense had plenty opportunities in the first half, they missed fg, drops by Gallup, bad throws a by Sam, stopped in the redszone. Go watch the damn game

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
we had 6 damn points at half and 9 after 3 quarters. the defense gave up 3 points the entire second half. The offense had plenty opportunities in the first half, they missed fg, drops by Gallup, bad throws a by Sam, stopped in the redszone. Go watch the damn game

All the damage was done in the first half. We gave up a 90+ yard TD pass that should’ve never happened. The Jets scored on four of their 6 first half possessions. You’re not going to win many games giving up 21 points in the first half. We dug ourselves a hole in the first half that we couldn’t climb out of.