Rex Ryan's book..

dwmyers

Reaction score
Coaching Football's 46 Defense, by Rex Ryan and Jeff Walker.

A review.

<<Rex, for those who don't know, is one of two sons of Buddy who currently is a defensive coordinator in the NFL.>>

Got it a few days ago. I've been browsing it, which probably isn't the best idea, as this isn't a book for fans. The target audience seems to be high-school to college, as there is a whole chapter on handling the option. Line technique has been simplified a little bit, though "simplifed" means that 40 full pages past the introduction are devoted to line play alone.

The book has promotional blurbs on the back by people like Ted Cottrell, and Eric Swan. The version of the 46 that Rex promotes is sold as being the modern analog to Earle Neale's double eagle (a kind of 5-2-4) defense of the late 1940s. If I were to talk about analogies, I'd say it's a 6-2-3 in the way Rex coaches it. Typically, from a 4-3, two linebackers step into the line and the strong safety fills one of the linebacker holes. It's unapologetically an 8 in the box defense, and it requires a SS with linebacker skills, and a lineman/linebacker hybrid that can rush and also cover a receiver (shades of Roy Williams and DeMarcus Ware..).

According to the Rexter one point of the defense is to overload the region from guard to guard and eliminate many pulls and fancy blocks. These players are forced to take on DL one on one and handle the man in front of them. In the passing game it tends to lend itself to a 5 man rush, though on a max protect situation the 46 players are coached to rush 8. A lot of seeming blitz-like behavior is actually dictated by the protection, as opposed to being an outright blitz.

I can't speak much for the section on pass defense, because by this point my eyes tend to glaze and the book works like Sominex for me. However its clear that the linebacker-turned-linemen have substantial pass coverage responsibility, as does the ss-turned-linebacker.

It wouldn't be that hard to shift into this kind of defense from a 3-4. Have 3 of your linebackers step into the line, have one of the three shift outside a bit, and have the SS fill the hole. And though it's a little goofy, if I were going to be pulling stunts like this, I'd have Ellis or Ogbogu on one of the outside linebacker slots and LaRoi Glover on one of the inside linebacker slots, just to see the looks in players eyes when that unit comes onto the field.

David.