Rey Maualuga perhaps did the most by running his first postseason 40 in 4.69

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
USC's linebackers all helped themselves. Rey Maualuga perhaps did the most by running his first postseason 40 in 4.69. He saved it for day's end so he could do all the other tests before putting pressure on his sore hamstring, which he pulled at the NFL combine six weeks ago and had limited him until Wednesday.

"I did good," said Maualuga, who's at 248 pounds. "I got a lot of positive feedback."

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Rey can tend to get a little fat -- which is why he didn't give other great 40 times. Probably not a huge problem as a bit more attention from a pro-level trainer will help immensly. SD is licking their chops for this guy

dmoore

Reaction score
I would love to have this guy on our defense. He's one of those players that you can't help but notice every time you watch a USC game. He's huge and hits like a truck. I think he'll be a pro-bowler type and an impact LB for the next decade.

JPM

Reaction score
dmoore;2713572 said:
I would love to have this guy on our defense. He's one of those players that you can't help but notice every time you watch a USC game. He's huge and hits like a truck. I think he'll be a pro-bowler type and an impact LB for the next decade.
+ he's got a nasty disposition, he likes to hit and inflict pain.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Really, I think he's been very overrated... Though maybe not so much if he keeps his weight down and thus his speed up.

I still think he needs to go to a Parcells kind of two-gap system where he can be more stationary and use his size to take on blocks. I don't think you want him chasing all over the field.

RESIN8

Reaction score
My only knock on Rey is that he needs to watch the helmet to helmet contact. I've seen many times where he leads with his helmet when he tackles. In the NFL this rule is enforced more and more.

I think the guy has the potential to be a stud. I wouldn't be suprised to see Jacksonville take him to fill the void left by Mike Peterson. Probably a favorite of Jack del Rio right now.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2713634 said:
Really, I think he's been very overrated... Though maybe not so much if he keeps his weight down and thus his speed up.

I still think he needs to go to a Parcells kind of two-gap system where he can be more stationary and use his size to take on blocks. I don't think you want him chasing all over the field.

well, i was just wondering, my first overall pick that i would like for the cowboys to get is duke robinson, it not him maybe herman johnson, but if this player is there, and the next bill bergey; he was a nasty middle linebacker that ran sideline to sideline and was a beast;

so i was wondering, reports are that he fell due to his weight and injured hamstring

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2713634 said:

I think he is vastly overrated myself.

Good solid player made special by being in a scheme with top level talent everywhere. He never faces much in the way of blocks and the entire USC defense flies to the ball with little concern for gap control or over-running plays.

I do like how hard he plays but he is not an athletic marvel by any means.

Probably a r3 athlete made r1 guy by being at USC and on tv every week.

*** I generally have an anti-Pac 10 bias so factor that in but also note reports were all over the place from the Senior Bowl when he was absent the USC scheme and surrounding talent. That's unusual for a mid first round LB prospect.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
For all who think Maualuga overrated b/c of all the talent around him, I ask one question:

How good is this guy if HE stands out on a team as talented (if not more) as some of the better NFL teams? And it is not just his vicious hitting, Maualuga has the best instincts BY FAR on that entire D. BY FAR.

RS12

Reaction score
I like what Mayock said. Not gonna spend first round money on a two down linebacker. I like the guy and the emotion he brings, but something tells me he will have a short injury plagued career.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
RS12;2713875 said:
I like what Mayock said. Not gonna spend first round money on a two down linebacker. I like the guy and the emotion he brings, but something tells me he will have a short injury plagued career.

Both Gruden and Pete Carroll have both stated that Maualuga is a 3 down LB. In either a 3-4 or the 4-3.

Both have more skins on the wall than Mayock.