Rice WR Jarrett Dillard a team player

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
April 3, 2009
Rice WR Jarrett Dillard a team player
11:00 AM Fri, Apr 03, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips

Jarrett Dillard caught more passes (292) than any player in Rice history. He caught more touchdown passes (60) than any player in NCAA Division I history. He also set NCAA records for consecutive games with a touchdown reception (13) and career games with a TD catch (37).

Dillard was a four-year starter and a three-time All-Conference USA selection. He caught at least two passes in all 49 games of his career, the longest such streak in the nation. There are few players on the 2009 NFL draft board who had better college careers than Dillard. But the five years Dillard spent on the Rice campus were not about building a personal legacy.

"It means more to me to leave Rice with our first bowl victory in 54 years," Dillard said. "The records I broke are fine, but to leave Rice the place I left it is more important to me."

When Dillard arrived on campus, Rice hadn't been to a bowl since 1961 and hadn't won a bowl game since 1954. But the Owls went to two bowls during Dillard's career, losing to Troy in the 2006 New Orleans Bowl and then defeating Western Michigan in the 2008 Texas Bowl.

"Rice is on the map," Dillard said. "We're going up."