Reaction score
Rick Gosselin's final NFL mock draft

10:52 PM CDT on Friday, April 25, 2008
By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News
rgosselin@***BANNED-URL***

Team Needs Selection

1. Miami OT, OLB, WR, QB Jake Long, OT,
Michigan
Comment: Long was a four-year starter at Michigan. With a new five-year contract from the Dolphins, expect him to extend his starting streak to nine consecutive years. Look for him to mix in a few Pro Bowl appearances.

2. St. Louis OT, DT, CB, WR Chris Long, DE,
Virginia
Comment: The Rams covet Long and the Falcons covet Glenn Dorsey, but on most draft boards the order is flipped. Don't be surprised if the Falcons trade up one spot for the right to select Dorsey. That would solve a problem for both teams.

3. Atlanta MLB, QB, OT, DT Glenn Dorsey, DT,
LSU
Comment: If the Falcons don't come away with Dorsey, they will explore trading down. New coach Mike Smith has a defensive background and saw what dominant defensive tackles did for his old team, the Jacksonville Jaguars.

4. Oakland OL, DL, offensive speed Darren McFadden, HB,
Arkansas
Comment: Al Davis is a size/speed advocate. McFadden fills the bill. The Raiders also would entertain a pass rusher, Chris Long, if he falls, and Vernon Gholston. In the end, the Raiders take the best value on the board.

5. Kansas City DE, OT, CB, KR Chris Williams, OT,
Vanderbilt
Comment: The Chiefs have two glaring needs – offensive tackle and defensive end with the departure of Pro Bowl pass rusher Jared Allen. If they wait on the offensive tackle, they miss out. Six could go in the first round.

6. NY Jets CB, OT, DE, QB Vernon Gholston, DE,
Ohio State
Comment: The Jets managed only 29 sacks last season. They need to tackle more quarterbacks and force more turnovers to again become a contender in the AFC East. Gholston is the best pass rusher in this draft with 14 sacks in 2007.

7. New England DL, LB, CB, OT Sedrick Ellis, DT,
Southern California
Comment: Ellis doesn't fit the 3-4 defensive scheme of the Patriots, but his arrival would give them the option of playing some 4-3. He's the best defensive player on the board, and coach Bill Belichick rarely passes up value.
8. Baltimore QB, CB, OT, WR Matt Ryan, QB,
Boston College
Comment: If Ryan doesn't slide to the Ravens at No. 8, they will explore trading out. With the retirement of Steve McNair, quarterback shot to the top of the list of priorities. Ryan posted a 25-7 record at Boston College.

9. Cincinnati DT, WR, RB, DE Derrick Harvey, DE,
Florida
Comment: When you rank 27th in the NFL in defense, just about any defender you draft is an instant upgrade. The Bengals have an opening at end with the departure of Justin Smith in free agency. Harvey is a definite upgrade.
Comment:

10. New Orleans DT, CB, LB, TE Leodis McKelvin, CB,
Troy
Comment: If the Saints fail to trade up for Ellis, they will look to upgrade themselves at cornerback. McKelvin is the most physical of the corners and also the best kick returner in the draft.

11. Buffalo WR, CB, LB, TE Devin Thomas, WR,
Michigan State
Comment: The NFL's 30th-ranked passing attack needs to get bigger, stronger, tougher, more talented and more productive on the flank. Thomas is the most physical receiver in this draft, not to mention the most talented.

12. Denver OT, DE, RB, KR Ryan Clady, OT,
Boise State
Comment: Mike Shanahan has always been able to help average backs flourish because he fielded one of the NFL's best offensive lines. But his current offensive front doesn't push anyone around. Enter the 6-6 Clady.

13. Carolina DE, OT, TE, RB Jeff Otah, OT,
Pittsburgh
Comment: Watching the New York Giants win a Super Bowl reminded Panthers coach (and former Giants assistant) John Fox what it takes to win in the NFL. Dominate both sides of the ball. Otah is the best run blocker in this draft.

14. Chicago OT, WR, RB, TE Branden Albert, OL,
Virginia
Comment: The Bears played power football on the way to the Super Bowl in 2006. But there was a power shortage in 2007 when the Bears finished 30th in the NFL in rushing. Better blocking will make Cedric Benson a better runner.
15. Detroit Defense, RB, OT Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB,
Tennessee State
Comment: Like the Bengals, anyone the Lions draft on the defensive side of the ball would be an upgrade. Rodgers-Cromartie is the most athletic corner on the board blending size (6-1), speed (4.33) and play-making ability.

16. Arizona RB, CB, LB Mike Jenkins, CB,
South Florida
Comment: The Cardinals need to tighten up the NFL's 28th-ranked pass defense. Jenkins is the most ready to play of the three elite cornerbacks in this draft. If you can't play pass defense in the NFC West, you cannot succeed.

17. Kansas City DE, OT, CB, KR Keith Rivers, LB,
Southern California
Comment: The Chiefs want a defensive end, but Rivers is just too good a value to pass up here. He's the slider and would give them a superb set of bookends at linebacker along with Derrick Johnson.

18. Houston OT, CB, Pass rusher Rashard Mendenhall, HB,
Illinois
Comment: Houston is desperate for an offensive left tackle, but the draft board drains five of them before the Texans can go on the clock. Like Rivers, Mendenhall is just too good a value to pass up here.

19. Philadelphia OT, DL, CB Aqib Talib, CB,
Kansas
Comment: With big receivers Plaxico Burress and Terrell Owens dominating in the NFC East, the Eagles need a big cornerback to combat them. Talib is that guy in this draft at 6-0½, 202 pounds.

20. Tampa Bay Offensive speed, CB, DT Jonathan Stewart, HB,
Oregon
Comment: Had Stewart not undergone toe surgery in March, he likely would have been a top 10 pick. He averaged 6.2 yards per carry in 2007 and would ease the burden on quarterback Jeff Garcia to make all the plays that win games.

21. Washington DE, DT, OL, WR Phillip Merling, DE,
Clemson
Comment: When you have a 35-year-old starting defensive end, you need to start looking for his replacement. North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer also is a consideration here, but the need is at end, not tackle.

22. Dallas RB, WR, CB, OL Felix Jones, HB,
Arkansas
Comment: Jones can be the type of speed complement to Marion Barber that Julius Jones was these last few years. Felix Jones led the NCAA with an average of 8.7 yards per carry and also averaged 29 yards on kickoff returns.
23. Pittsburgh OT, CB, WR, RB Jerod Mayo, LB,
Tennessee
Comment: The Steelers have 10 starters back from the NFL's top-ranked defense. Linebacker Clark Haggans departed in free agency. This pick marries ability with need – Mayo can be a walk-in starter for the Steelers.

24. Tennessee RB, WR, G, TE James Hardy, WR,
Indiana
Comment: The Titans are desperate for play-makers to lighten the offensive load of quarterback Vince Young. At 6-5, Hardy can provide Young a huge target, so his inaccuracies as a passer won't be as glaring.

25. Seattle OL, DL, CB, WR Chad Henne, QB,
Michigan
Comment: If you don't see any immediate help on the draft board, select someone who can brighten your future. The Seahawks have no glaring holes. But Matt Hasselbeck is 33 this season. Henne gives them security at quarterback.

26. Jacksonville DT, DE, CB, LB Quentin Groves, DE,
Auburn
Comment: The Jaguars took a couple hits up front, losing end Bobby McCray in free agency and trading tackle Marcus Stroud. On a draft board with so little speed, Groves stands out as a blazer with his 4.57 40 clocking.

27. San Diego OT, RB, CB, DL Gosder Cherilus, OT,
Boston College
Comment: The Chargers have only two offensive tackles currently on the roster. Like left tackle Marcus McNeill, Cherilus could become a walk-in starter at San Diego. He started 51 consecutive games at Boston College.

28. Dallas RB, WR, CB, OL Brandon Flowers, CB,
Virginia Tech
Comment: Flowers is the most technically sound of the five top cornerbacks in this draft. But he's also the smallest (5-9½) and slowest (4.59 speed in the 40). He broke up 18 passes in 2006 and 14 more in 2007.

29. San Francisco WR, OL, DL, QB Kentwan Balmer, DT,
North Carolina
Comment: Like Rivers to Kansas Cty at 17, Balmer is a case of sliding value. Coach Mike Nolan's background is on defense, but the 49ers have struggled on that side of the ball. You can never have enough quality defensive linemen.

30. Green Bay CB, Pass rusher, TE, OT Dustin Keller, TE,
Purdue
Comment: The Packers must do everything in their power to give Aaron Rodgers a chance to succeed at quarterback. You do that by upgrading the supporting cast. Keller is the best pass-catching tight end in this draft.

31. NY Giants OT, WR, CB, Safety Tyrell Johnson, S,
Arkansas State
Comment: The Giants lost starting safety Gibril Wilson in free agency to the Raiders. Johnson is the fastest (4.43 speed) of the three elite safeties in this draft and the best ballhawk with 13 career interceptions.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Interesting note on Seattle pick. I decided to check out the top 5 finishers from the Huddle Reports Mock Draft Contest the last few years and 3 of the 5 have Chad Henne going to Seattle.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Valor;2052025 said:
That's the highest I've seen Chris Williams projected.
The talk on Chicago sports radio today was that he would be the pick at #14.

sago1

Reaction score
Can't say that using our #28th pick on Flowers makes me happy. Would have preferred trading down & adding 2 more additional picks which we could use on Cason & a WR, etc. Can't say I'm excited if Jones & Flowers are our first round picks.

mboy22

Reaction score
I now know where Matt Mosely gets his "sources" from when he says we like Felix Jones at #22 and Brandon Flowers at #28

It's Rick Gosselin

AbeBeta

Reaction score
sago1;2052051 said:
Can't say that using our #28th pick on Flowers makes me happy. Would have preferred trading down & adding 2 more additional picks which we could use on Cason & a WR, etc. Can't say I'm excited if Jones & Flowers are our first round picks.

Teams get too in love with moving down -- we are looking for the same players that everyone wants -- good CBs and receivers who can challenge them. You move down and you miss on those guys. After Flowers, there is one guy that I see on the board who is a good CB and that is Cason - he won't last the 8-10 picks we'd drop down if all those CBs are off the board

I've said it 100 times - moving down works when you want what other teams don't. not the case here

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BTW here is Rick's 2007 Mock

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/042807dnspomockdraft.2ad4086.html

jbsg02

Reaction score
I think Flowers is a reach at 28, I think we trade down there anyways, I bet a team will be looking at moving up from their 2nd to get Brohm

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Neither of those Cowboys picks are particularly exciting.

The other thing that catches my eye is the Buffalo pick - Devin Thomas, WR. They already have a fine WR, Lee Evans, who doesn't get the ball enough. So the plan is to add another one? Ouch.

Pabst

Reaction score
Goose's mocks are never very inspiring.

It's his Top 100 that is definitelly worth reading.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This is exactly why i wouldnt mind packagin our two first to get DMac. If this happens I will be pissed.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Valor;2052025 said:
That's the highest I've seen Chris Williams projected.
I think people are assuming they're trading down and just sticking them with one of the tackles, knowing they'll likely take one after the trade down.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
abersonc;2052075 said:
BTW here is Rick's 2007 Mock

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/042807dnspomockdraft.2ad4086.html

Whew, good thing he's not accurate later in the 1st round. The idea of getting stuck with Felix and Flowers doesn't sit well with me.

Apparently though, all signs point to us taking Flowers.

Spectre

Reaction score
If a veteran WR trade doesn't happen... I think Jones and Flowers is an excellent pair in the 1st. Especially because we could/would probably trade down a few spots with #28 and still get Flowers in addition to a nice pick.

It could be much worse than these 2 so I'd take it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TheCount;2052167 said:
Whew, good thing he's not accurate later in the 1st round. The idea of getting stuck with Felix and Flowers doesn't sit well with me.

Apparently though, all signs point to us taking Flowers.

He sure nailed the early and obvious though....

Goose gets credit for being accurate but he does put out one of the latest mocks around (day before the draft) - he's doing that while many of the other 'experts' are involved in covering the draft -- so he's got a bit of an unfair edge there.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
Flowers is supposed to be a good tackler, but against the bigger WRs in the league do we really want a small, slow tackler or somebody that can stop the ball from being completed.

Jerry probably got it from BP that Flowers is the next Aaron Glenn...

fishspill

Reaction score
Maybe we use the 4th to move up to KC's spot and have our choice of Mendenhall or Stewart? That'd be a nice move. Hope it falls this way.

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
We will be able to get Felix at 28. I think that Brandon Flowers will be drafted in the second round. I don't think we will draft a cb in the first round we will draft one in the second.