Twitter: Rico throws shade at Witt?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Rico is right. Plus he’s getting paid $600,000 in 2019, to play a game. It’s a good living if you ask me.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Rico has had his chances to earn his reps but hasn't impressed the staff sufficiently to gain their trust. He's typical of bevy of the players in the past that felt "entitled" to their unearned opportunities without proving themselves worthy. The Cowboys wouldn't have been drafting guys to replace him if he had applied himself sufficiently to impress the coaching staff. Appropriate people are in place to take notice of everyone that earns it.

Rico is exactly the type of player that this team has been striving to eliminate or change for years now. Rather than going all in to prove themselves, they prefer to pout over their perceptions of being "victims." If Rico Gathers had dutifully devoted himself to learning his assignments as need be, he'd surely be getting his fair share of the reps in practice and in the games. Coaches get paid to notice such things. It's an important part of what they do.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes, it’s Dak’s fault that a failed college basketball player, hasn’t become a successful NFL football player.
YouTube can be a poster's best friend...for those who actually watch film and do some research. Or it can make a poster sound foolish...for those too lazy to research before they comment. Look at this tape, specifically the first 3 plays where Rico failed to catch the football. Look closely. Yeah, it's Rico's fault, eh? Look again.

Those poorly executed plays were on Dak!

HungryLion

Reaction score
The TE depth chart has been pre determined for so long, because Witten is a top 3 tight end of all time. Witten is practically an NFL legend.

The depth chart was anything but pre determined last season. Rico was competing against unproven relative scrubs, two of whom never played an NFL snap. What did Rico accomplish? NOTHING.

You know the coaches and front office badly wanted Rico to prove himself, seize the reigns and do something. Yet he accomplished nothing. Zero, zilch, nada.

He is an idiot, he isn’t any good and I hope to god the team is smart enough to cut him this off-season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The TE depth chart has been pre determined for so long, because Witten is a top 3 tight end of all time. Witten is practically an NFL legend.

The depth chart was anything but pre determined last season. Rico was competing against unproven relative scrubs, two of whom never played an NFL snap. What did Rico accomplish? NOTHING.

You know the coaches and front office badly wanted Rico to prove himself, seize the reigns and do something. Yet he accomplished nothing. Zero, zilch, nada.

He is an idiot, he isn’t any good and I hope to god the team is smart enough to cut him this off-season.
Watch the film, DP. You sound foolish!

Rico should have had at least 2 TD grabs last season had Dak thrown the ball correctly.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
When a player has to be called off the field because he doesn't line up right, he needs another line of work. I don't think he's smart enough to play football. Did I just write that? Well, guess I did so I have to stick by it.

Gathers is just like Bennett was when he was drafted, interested more in running his mouth and being an awesome person than learning his job.

I agree with the Witten favoritism but is it not justified? When a player shows up for work, ready to work and dedicates himself to wringing every ounce of talent out of himself, shows his toughness by trying to get back in the game with a broken jaw, coaches seem to favor that.

Agree 100% on Rico but not sure about Bennett. Yes, he ran his mouth or his dementor/personality rub some the wrong way but he did his job. In fact, he credits his inability to get playing time with the reason became one of the leagues best blocking TE. As he put it, since he had little chance of getting targets behind Witten, he focused on improving his blocking skills, hoping to be reward with more playing time.

Again I agree, Rico just doesn't get it. He probably blew his best chance at making an impact last year while Jason was retired.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Say what you want but in his defense, this coaching staff fails to advantage his strength, especially as a red zone target. We know he has excellent hands, height, and leaping ability. Why not coach the hell out him as a red zone weapon. He's a mismatch for most league DBs.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Rico should have had at least 2 TD grabs last season had Dak thrown the ball correctly.

Ooooh 2 TD grabs in 3 seasons. I stand corrected. Rico is a stud.

Please man. You sound foolish. Rico hasn’t done squat in the NFL. He is a failed basketball player who has done nothing.

Weird how Dak hold Rico back. Yet jarwin and Schultz who have been with the team less time than Rico, both played better than him last season. And Dak was throwing to them too.

Just a strange coincidence I guess.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
"I can't control where I'm at". Actually, you can, by making plays when you're out on the field. I can't wait until this bum is gone. Knowing us, we'll hang onto him for another 3-4 years.

Such a simplistic way of thinking and wrong. Hard to prove yourself on the field when you don't get even close to the same reps as the others in practice. Especially Witten, who has been a bum for years now. Spare me his numbers. He's only open because not one single defender needs to cover him knowing he is just barely quicker than a corpse. Witten will suck the life out of the offense again. Can't wait for those 2 yard routes on 3rd and 10. Oh but hey, he will rack up pointless catches and everyone will point to that about how he still has it. Witten coming back is terrible for the growth of this team. And Rico is right, Witten doesn't need to do anything at all to secure his spot and targets. Marty B and TO already spoke on this about Witten. But everyone brushes it off because it's them. Yet Marty B goes to NE and contributes to a ring while Witten withered away in Dallas. He's been a net negative here for years. But Dallas/Witten is that couple who can't move on because they love comfortable and fear change. Just like we have been running the same stale offense with the same stale coach for a decade. We hate change.

Rico was not a football player. So yes, his learning curve is higher. Your thinking of everyone controls their destiny in sports is silly. Tons of politics at play. Go look at many teams in all sports who refuse to let younger players get a chance and keep the vet in place, no matter how bad they are (ex: Rougie Odor).

HungryLion

Reaction score

Matter of fact. When you watch rico play. What sticks out about him? What about him looks like a good tight end? He is tall?

He isn’t explosive, he runs poor routes, he isn’t a good blocker, his on field awareness is trash.

He is just a big tall kind of fast guy running around out there. That’s all he is.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yes, it’s Dak’s fault that a failed college basketball player, hasn’t become a successful NFL football player.
Didn't you know that Dak sucks, and most everything is his fault. Geez.. Rico isn't the starting TE because they don't like the same foods. Dak likes Dannon yogurt and Rico only eats Chobani.. Its obvi..

Mr_437

Reaction score
Rico's right
But
Nobody wanted
To
Here it
From him

Jourdan Lewis has a much better gripe (than Rico), and his mindset about the situation is really good.

Via whatever means, Rico is most likely out of DAL come end of August.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The fact this guy is now a millionaire should be a crime against humanity.
1.5 after this year and paid 34k in fines for weed. and is suspended for a game or so.. After taxes he is barely making ends meat.. 200K a year for a baller like that isn't much...