RIP Bart Starr

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bart Starr made quite an impression on this young football fan growing up. QB has always been my favorite position and Starr along with Namath and Unitas were who I idolized early in the 60’s in my childhood as Iconic figures.

Starr represented the stability and class of the greatest champion of that era in the 60’s. He’s still the only QB to win 3 straight league championships. And that 60’s Packers team who won 5 championships in the 60’s including first 2 Super Bowls I’ve considered greatest team all time with now 13 players in HOF. Next closet team is Steelers 70’s team with 9.

I went to Green Bay and Lambeau Field In 1989 in Cowboys inaugural season Cowboys Travel Club. It’s still the greatest road venue I’ve ever attended. Title Town USA to me is like the home of the NFL. The Packers HOF museum features much from the Cowboys from those 60’s famous championship battles which those victories help define their greatest era. Their fans greeted us warmly.

Their fans are the classiest I’ve ever encountered on the road. They are the only publicly owned team in the NFL. Season tickets are passed down and willed to family members. It’s the toughest ticket in the NFL.

I came real close to becoming a Packer fan in the 60’s when my uncle was offered a Free Agent contract from Lombardi but in 1961 $10,000 a year and $1,000 signing bonus wasn’t enough for him to move his family and infant daughter away from home in Ft Worth.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
One of those players that is held in such regard that it transcends team rivalry or fan loyalty. There have not been too many of them. As the OP alludes to, the game wasn't purely about money then, it truly was about pride and determination and healthy competition.