RIP Don Shula

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
401rcn.jpg

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Per 105.3 The Fan. Shula passes away at age 90.

Shula was able to do what Landry refused to do in the 80's which was change. Shula evolved and rode Dan Marino for another +10 years. I respected Shula but I was always defending Landry with others because Shula, Halas, Walsh, and Belichick would be mentioned as the Mount Rushmore of NFL Head Coaches.

I would argue the only records for consecutive winning seasons, consecutive playoff appearances, most playoff appearances, most conference championship games, and Super Bowl appearances, were all Landry Records chased by Belichick. Landry invented the 4-3 Defense, invented the Flex Defense, multiple formation offense, innovated the Shotgun/Spread formation used today, zone and man coverage, etc.

But then some Dolphin fan or Cowboy hater would say "Only Don Shula can say he was perfect."

God bless the "original chin" and Perfect Head Coach...Don Shula.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Shula was able to do what Landry refused to do in the 80's which was change. Shula evolved and rode Dan Marino for another +10 years. I respected Shula but I was always defending Landry with others because Shula, Halas, Walsh, and Belichick would be mentioned as the Mount Rushmore of NFL Head Coaches.

I would argue the only records for consecutive winning seasons, consecutive playoff appearances, most playoff appearances, most conference championship games, and Super Bowl appearances, were all Landry Records chased by Belichick. Landry invented the 4-3 Defense, invented the Flex Defense, multiple formation offense, innovated the Shotgun/Spread formation used today, zone and man coverage, etc.

But then some Dolphin fan or Cowboy hater would say "Only Don Shula can say he was perfect."

Well said.

Techsass

Reaction score
I remember having to read his book on management about 30 or so years ago. He was a true leader with vision on what he wanted to accomplish & how to do it.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

to be fair to Landry, the ownership change in 84 killed the dynasty.

the 85 team was running on fumes. The DL was old and the OL was jacked.