RIP Ernie Shavers

terra

Reaction score
Ali said he thought he was going down at least three times during that fight; said no one had ever hit him harder.

Imagine if shavers had gotten his shot when he was younger and even more powerful?

quickccc

Reaction score
Hardest Knockout hitting Heavyweights i've seen him my lifetime:

Mike Tyson
George Foreman
Ernie Shavers
Joe Frazer
Deontay Wilder

RS12

Reaction score
I believe Ali described getting hit by him was like an electric shock.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Hardest Knockout hitting Heavyweights i've seen him my lifetime:

Mike Tyson
George Foreman
Ernie Shavers
Joe Frazer
Deontay Wilder

Julian Jackson carried a hammer. Although he was not in the same weight class as those mentioned above, pound-for-pound he should make any list of hardest punches.

mrmojo

Reaction score
What a great era for boxing, every fight seemed to be epic in the heavyweight ranks bac then. RIP Ernie.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He had Holmes, if he just settled down a bit and paced himself there he would have won. Great punch though, not sure how Holmes got up from it.

Plankton

Reaction score
He had Holmes, if he just settled down a bit and paced himself there he would have won. Great punch though, not sure how Holmes got up from it.

Holmes is the most underrated heavyweight champion of all time. He had a great chin, and the ability to recover from big shots. Also a fantastic jab.

RIP to Shavers. The guy hit like a truck. His demolition of Ken Norton was something to behold.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Holmes is the most underrated heavyweight champion of all time. He had a great chin, and the ability to recover from big shots. Also a fantastic jab.

RIP to Shavers. The guy hit like a truck. His demolition of Ken Norton was something to behold.

Yeah, Holmes would have done well in any era of boxing. Holmes vs. Fury or Lewis would be an interesting fight. Dude was like 300 years old when he schooled Ray Mercer.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Saw an interview with Larry Holmes not long ago and he said he doesn’t know how he ever got up from that punch. Shavers was one of the hardest punchers of all time but his biggest flaw was stamina. He ended up punching himself out in that round trying to finish off Holmes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Muhammad Ali claimed Shavers was the hardest puncher he ever fight and the strongest fighter. Shavers had a punch but unfortunately for him he never had the stamina. He had Ali in trouble but ran out of gas. Not sure how Ali
ever survive the punches he took in this fight. He was already getting older and should’ve hung them up after this fight.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry Quarry lost to all the top fighters Ali, Joe Frazier and Ken Norton but he knocked out Ernie Shaver in the first round. A few years later Shavers knocked out Ken Norton in the first round.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Julian Jackson carried a hammer. Although he was not in the same weight class as those mentioned above, pound-for-pound he should make any list of hardest punches.
Add Boom Boom to that list