RIP Golden Richards

Big_D

Reaction score
This is sad.. He was one of my favorites.. Rest in Peace 83.

1942willys

Reaction score
Tony Hill, Butch Johnson, Drew Pearson, Golden Richards 1978 receiver room.
You add Dupree at TE and Tony at RB and Roger had a wealth of talent to throw to. I would argue that group collectively is right up there with the greatest collection of offensive skill players in one place at one time ever. I think Dupree is very under rated as a TE. Not HOF caliber but extremely good. TD was dangerous as a safety valve. Dallas could legitimately put four WRs on the field that could take it to the house. Even with just 3 and Dupree and TD you were screwed if you left any of them open

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I saw Golden catch a pass once along the sidelines, someone undercut him him and he flipped through the air and landed back on his feet, where he then raced down the sidelines.

Anyone else remember that play?

CowboysFanLover

Reaction score

Skip to 4:40 and you will see Richards made an incredible catch, he is very underrated and does not get enough credit!

Motorola

Reaction score

I recall watching that piece.
Ed and Steve Sabol = NFL Films: the footage, plus the stories behind them, made the game, its players, and coaches a viewing treasure.

Thanks for posting PAPPYDOG.

Last edited:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Tony Hill, Butch Johnson, Drew Pearson, Golden Richards 1978 receiver room.
Late 70's Cowboys is when the press coined the term "many weapons" and we have heard this phrase non stop for decades since about many teams. It's become part of the regular lexicon of sports as has "Hail Mary" The 70s Boys also brought back the shotgun and Landry was the first coach to call plays. Now most plays are in shotgun and no qb's call plays except audibles. That team in that decade has had so much influence on the game as we know it.
As for "weapons"; they had depth at WR, TE and RB. They had Dorsett, P Pearson, Newhouse, Newsome and Springs and that was just the backfield!!!