Rivera versus Rex Ryan, which one do you

Woods

Reaction score
prefer?

Both are relatively young, both are (successful) defensive coordinators. And both are DC on winning franchises. Neither has been a HC before, either. So, in that respect, we would be taking a risk on either of them.

With respect to Ryan, we know he can run the 3-4 and variations of it. (If we are to believe JJ, he wants to stick with the 3-4). Also, he could be available this week, meaning he could get his assistants together quicker.

On the other hand, you'd think JJ would at least want to interview Rivera, and he may not be in a rush to hire and really take his time and do his due diligence. If that's the case, he wouldn't mind waiting for a couple weeks to interview Rivera. Plus, Rivera has already stated he would love to coach the DC.

As for who could assemble the BETTER coaching staff, I have no idea.

Opinions?

Woods

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1330490 said:
We need an experienced head coach. Remember who our owner is.

I thought I get some responses on these two candidates first.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I would like Ryan, he has been in the Ravens organization for awhile, can run the 3-4 and the 4-3 and isnt afraid to blitz, move around and play mind games with opposing offenses.

I really think this team is 1 HC like Ryan, an OL coach and two OG's away from being one mean team next year.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Ryan...he knows the 3-4 and his players will go through a wall for him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rex, he's a 3-4 coach, and will bring Mike Singletary along w/ him

but I'll be more than fine if we hire Rivera instead, those 2 are my HC choices

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Ron Rivera! We have the personel to easily switch back to our beloved 4-3 defense. These are my starters in the 4-3:

DE - Hatcher/Canty
DT - Spears/Ratliff
DT - Ferguson/Ratliff
DE - Ware/Bowens

OLB - Carpenter/Ayodele
MLB - James/Ayodele
OLB - Burnett

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
5mics;1330543 said:
Ron Rivera! We have the personel to easily switch back to our beloved 4-3 defense. These are my starters in the 4-3:

DE - Hatcher/Canty
DT - Spears/Ratliff
DT - Ferguson/Ratliff
DE - Ware/Bowens

OLB - Carpenter/Ayodele
MLB - James/Ayodele
OLB - Burnett

Actually this is the reason that I would prefer Ryan.. Hey has coached his defense in the 3-4, 4-3 or whatever scheme is needed.. I just pulled this from another thread.
Here's another possible (sorry if already posted).

Jan. 22, 2007 - 8:05 p.m. ET

Jay Glazer of FOXSports believes Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan could become a candidate to be the Cowboys' next head coach.

Ryan's scheme is "multiple" and could make good use of DeMarcus Ware and Dallas' stand-up pass rushers. Glazer calls Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan (Rex's twin brother) a less likely candidate.

Source: MSN Video
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79069

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
I'll be fine w/ Rex but I still prefer Rivera. In any case, as long as it's NOT a re-tread coach. I want someone energetic, aggressive, and "new" school.....

Eddie

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with giving a top quality coordinator a chance. Heck, all the top coaches were coordinators at one time. Pick the young, hungry guys. The available, old, established coaches have proven mediocre at best.

We need young fire like Mangini, Payton, Lovie Smith, et al. All were coordinators and assistant coaches until recently. All have done a remarkable job with their new teams.

No more re-treads. We need a brand new set of tires.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
VACowboy;1330597 said:
Rex Ryan is my pick of the two. 1b is Russ Grimm.

I like Russ Grimm also, he coached under Joe Gibbs and Bill Cowher

AbeBeta

Reaction score
5mics;1330543 said:

You might want to check the Greg Ellis comments where he says that going back to the 4-3 would set the team backa few years. And that is from a guy who didn't really like the switch to begin with.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;1330534 said:
Ryan...he knows the 3-4 and his players will go through a wall for him.

I also agree with this. Baltimore has a great defensive tradition, which Ryan helped to formulate. He is young, and can relate to the modern player. I don't see a downside except, as a HC, he would still need a DC that thinks like he does. How about Mike Singletary as DC under Ryan.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1330490 said:

actually, I think Jerry might be fine with a less experienced guy if he could bring in someone that he knew as a coordinator as well -- that makes the Jason Garrett speculation seem plausible

superpunk

Reaction score
abersonc;1330697 said:
actually, I think Jerry might be fine with a less experienced guy if he could bring in someone that he knew as a coordinator as well -- that makes the Jason Garrett speculation seem plausible

That's the angle the NFL Network was playing up this morning, and to be honest, it makes alot of sense - Wade Phillips to coach for now (he can't seem to motivate that long, he's so laid back) with Garrett groomed to take over.

It makes sense, but I doubt that is what happens.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
abersonc;1330677 said:
You might want to check the Greg Ellis comments where he says that going back to the 4-3 would set the team backa few years. And that is from a guy who didn't really like the switch to begin with.
I dunno know about that though. Just looking at the current DLs & LBs on the roster, I just don't see where going back to a 4-3 would be difficult other than at DT.....

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1330490 said:
I don't think he has to be an experienced HC but he does have to have a strong personality. This is not the job for the faint of heart.

No more Gailey/Campo milksops. We need a strong forceful guy who is young enough for the grind who has Ice Water in his veins.