Robin Williams...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I was watching Conan tonight... he was on...

Is it just me... or has he NEVER been funny... I remember being annoyed by Mork & Mindy in the 70's...

I am not discounting his roles in movies as he has had a few good offerings and he is talented... he plays the creep really well... but funny... he is not...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
When I was a kid I loved Robin Williams but yeah, I don't laugh as much as I used to at his stuff. I disagree about him not being funny, he's still better than most of the comedians out there, but his stuff doesn't have the same appeal it used to. Maybe it's because I've seen it for 20 years now and it all starts to sound the same. I thought Jimmy Fallon's impression was right on. Have you ever seen it?

Rude

Reaction score
I havent laughed at one of his jokes in years if ever, I think his comedy is lame even though he had a few hit movies a while back

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I personally think he's as funny as he's ever been. He's one of my favorites.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I Tivo'd that Conan episode and caught it later, and I thought Williams was pretty darn funny. Yeah, he did a lot of the same impressions and accents he has thrown out for 25+ years, but I guess I'm just a pushover, I still find that stuff funny.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I was watching Conan tonight... he was on...

Is it just me... or has he NEVER been funny... I remember being annoyed by Mork & Mindy in the 70's...

I am not discounting his roles in movies as he has had a few good offerings and he is talented... he plays the creep really well... but funny... he is not...

Robin Williams is brilliantly funny, whether it be on TV, in the movies, or just doing his stand-up... he is unlike any comedian I've ever known...

I became a big fan about 15 minutes into the first "Mork & Mindy"... hearing him sing "Fire" using Elmer Fudd's voice never fails to put me on the floor... but I think my favorite was on one of his albums (I think it was "Throbbing Python of Love"), where he called for the audience to call out two subjects which he would then combine into an improvisational bit... well, the audience called out for "Shakespeare" and "Three Mile Island", at which point he went off on an INSPIRED rant...

Another favorite was when he talks about the invention of golf, using a broad Scottish accent... it's a little too "R" rated to reproduce in here...

I'm bettin' you're more of a Three Stooges kind of guy, right?? LOL...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
silverbear said:
but I think my favorite was on one of his albums (I think it was "Throbbing Python of Love"), where he called for the audience to call out two subjects which he would then combine into an improvisational bit... well, the audience called out for "Shakespeare" and "Three Mile Island", at which point he went off on an INSPIRED rant...

There is still no one better at improv than Robin Williams. :) I have a lot of respect for someone who can just go out there with nothing prepared and make the audience laugh until it hurts.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Robin Williams is hilarious, especially his 'Live on Broadway' show.

I do have it on cd, let me work on it over the weekend and I'll upload a few clips...

trickblue

Reaction score
silverbear said:
I'm bettin' you're more of a Three Stooges kind of guy, right?? LOL...

Each has their own taste... actually I am not a big fan of slapstick/physical comedy...

I am more a person that likes comedy that makes you think... things with hidden/subtle humor...

Robin Williams is a bit over the top for me...

silverbear

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
There is still no one better at improv than Robin Williams. :) I have a lot of respect for someone who can just go out there with nothing prepared and make the audience laugh until it hurts.

That bit was quite interesting-- Robin messed around a little bit, throwing out silly one liners at random, and you could tell he was furiously working out the details of the sketch he was gonna do... but in a minute or two, he came up with his own Shakespearean play about Three Mile Island:

"He sits and watches his TV, and his balls do glow in the dark"... LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Robin Williams is a bit over the top for me...

He sure is over the top, and that's precisely why I like him... like you said, each to his own taste, and I hope I'm not insulting you by standing up for the guy...

The way you describe your comedic tastes, my second guess would be that you're a Dennis Miller/Bill Maher type of comedy fan...

silverbear

Reaction score
GTaylor said:
Here's the clip from 'Live on Broadway' about how the Scottish invented golf. *Warning - language*

Robin Williams - How Golf Was Invented

Can't tell you how much I appreciate you posting that, I've saved it for future enjoyment... I still LMAO at it...

Perhaps that's because I worked 15 years as a golf pro (club pro, not touring pro)...

trickblue

Reaction score
silverbear said:
He sure is over the top, and that's precisely why I like him... like you said, each to his own taste, and I hope I'm not insulting you by standing up for the guy...

The way you describe your comedic tastes, my second guess would be that you're a Dennis Miller/Bill Maher type of comedy fan...

Exactly... I am a big fan of Dennis Miller especially...

But I do admit I have a weak spot for Triumph the Insult Comic Dog... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Exactly... I am a big fan of Dennis Miller especially...

Dennis is one of my favorites, too... coincidentally, my nephew was talking just this morning about how he misses his show on HBO...

trickblue

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Dennis is one of my favorites, too... coincidentally, my nephew was talking just this morning about how he misses his show on HBO...

Yep... it was a great show...

I think Robin Williams does real well in dramatic roles... and of course... he is sometimes funny... I was just never a big fan of that type of humor... Martin Short is the same way... immensley talented... just not my cup o' tea...

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
silverbear said:

I found a lot of his shows on Newsgroups (audio portions only), sadly like most sitcoms he was running on cruise control and it wasn't as edgy and funny as the earlier clips.

I'll have to look up those clips, they might be too large to upload though so I'll probably have to do a yousendit.

BTW - I grew up on the golf course and played 10 years myself, never played pro, then again a 22 handicap and a horrible slice made that decision easy for me...

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Yep... it was a great show...

I think Robin Williams does real well in dramatic roles... and of course... he is sometimes funny... I was just never a big fan of that type of humor... Martin Short is the same way... immensley talented... just not my cup o' tea...

Please sir. Robin Williams makes Martin Short look like a sidewalk act.

Although Robin Williams' act may have grown tiresome. Martin Short NEVER EVER did ANYTHING funny.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Live on Broadway is great. It's just all of his other stuff where he's being cartoony is unraveling.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
DANTHEMAN said:
Please sir. Robin Williams makes Martin Short look like a sidewalk act.

Although Robin Williams' act may have grown tiresome. Martin Short NEVER EVER did ANYTHING funny.

Have you ever seen Martin Short's skit on SNL about synchronized swimming in the Olympics? Now that was funny! ;)