Robinson bashes ESPN over highlights

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - Frank Robinson thinks ESPN is giving his first-place Washington Nationals short shrift.

"Last night, our highlight on ESPN lasted one swing of a bat. One. And that was it. But then you go to the Mets game or whatever and they show four of five things that happened in the game," Robinson said Monday before his team hosted Florida.

"I've been very unhappy with ESPN as far as their coverage."

The manager watched "SportsCenter" on Sunday night, hoping to see plenty of plays from the Nationals' six-run seventh inning in a 7-3 comeback victory over Arizona.

"Show the inning. Or show the big hits and not the three outs, maybe, but show the big hits in the inning. Nope - just one swing of the bat," Robinson said. "I don't know what it is, and I don't care. ... I just don't like the way they treat us. This team, this year."

He considers it a continuation of what he thought was unfair coverage by ESPN of the club when it was the Montreal Expos, saying: "They used to poke fun at the crowds and make jokes about it. That wasn't appreciated."

ESPN spokeswoman Diane Lamb said the network's coverage of the Nationals is comparable to that of the 29 other major league teams.

"We're glad that Frank tunes to ESPN for his baseball news," Lamb said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3549960

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
boo freaking hoo if you are not the yankees, red sox or any other major market team you will get no love from them.

k19

Reaction score
jacs said:
boo freaking hoo if you are not the yankees, red sox or any other major market team you will get no love from them.

My thoughts exactly.

Now if they had fans taking swing at players on the oufield they may get a snipit on Sportcenter. Guess they are mad that the GW bobble head night didnt make plays of the day

joseephuss

Reaction score
Of course they didn't cover his teams game. ESPN only gives extensive coverage to a select few teams. They love the Red Sox even though they hadn't won a World Series until last season. Just the way things are. Next thing you know Frank is going to complain that MTV doesn't show enough music videos.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
If anyone should complain it was the anti-media guys, Canseco and Albert Belle in their days. Every strike-out, error, or miscue made the highlight reels, but their homeruns, well, if ESPN had time they'd show it.

They did the same thing to a lesser degree to A-Rod when he was in Texas.....