Robinson relishes Rams' reunion

Jon

Reaction score
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...5B270AE1C1DFFD39862570740017BB13?OpenDocument

Robinson relishes Rams' reunion
By Jim Thomas
Of the Post-Dispatch

Jeff Robinson knew there were a few remaining veterans in St. Louis from Super Bowls past. But then he looked around the Rams locker room Monday and saw Bruce, Holt, Little, Pace, Timmerman, Nutten, Wilkins and more.

"I didn't realize it was going to be a reunion," Robinson joked. "It was like the five-year reunion from the Super Bowl team."

Actually, the Rams are now six seasons removed from their Super Bowl championship team, but you get the point. With the addition of Robinson, who signed with the team Monday, there are a dozen members of the 1999 NFL championship team now playing for the Rams.

"It's good to see those guys," Robinson said. "We all know each other. We all know what we're going to get from each other, and that's going to be important in winning games."

Robinson, a tight end and long snapper, joins offensive guard Tom Nutten, offensive tackle Matt Willig and tight end Roland Williams as 1999 alums who have rejoined the team since the end of the 2004 season.

In putting together his 2005 roster, coach Mike Martz has made an effort to add experienced players, particularly those who have played in Super Bowls and playoff games. So, he jumped at the chance to add Robinson when he was cut by Dallas on Saturday.

"These guys have played at a very high level," Martz said. "And they're not done. Now, if they were done, that would be different. They're not done. All these guys give you that veteran leadership.

"We've been a very young team for a few years now. And a young team kind of lacks direction. I think the leadership that comes with guys that have been in the league playing at such a high level is invaluable."

Robinson, 35, was part of Dick Vermeil's first free-agency class with the Rams in 1997, coming to the team from Denver. He was a long snapper and defensive end when he arrived in St. Louis. But after starting tight end Ernie Conwell suffered a career-threatening knee injury in 1998, Robinson began helping the scout team in practice. He performed so well that he started working as an extra tight end in goal-line and short-yardage situations in games.

In 1999, with Conwell still working his way back from the injury, Robinson was switched to tight end permanently. In spot duty at tight end, Robinson caught 22 passes, with three touchdowns, from 1999 through the 2001 season.

"Jeff was a very integral part of the team, obviously, when we had the good runs there in the Super Bowls," Martz said. "He's an outstanding tight end, and he just happens to be a good long snapper, too. But he's here to be a tight end for us."

After playing most of his career at close to NFL minimum-salary levels, Robinson couldn't pass up the chance for financial security following the Rams' 2001 Super Bowl runner-up season. He signed a four-year, $4.8 million free-agent contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

"I always laugh whenever someone says it's not about the money," Robinson said. "It's about the money. I had to do it. And I'm glad I did. It really put me in a different kind of position financially and for the rest of my life. It's something I had to do."

In Dallas, Robinson's streak of 144 consecutive regular-season games played ended in 2002, when he missed the entire season because of reconstructive surgery on his knee following a training-camp injury.

Robinson resumed his flawless work as a long snapper in 2003 and 2004. At tight end, he was used exclusively in goal-line and short-yardage situations. He caught only four passes for 10 yards in those two seasons under coach Bill Parcells, but all four grabs went for touchdowns.

This season, the Cowboys are going with Jason Witten, Dan Campbell, and Brett Pierce at tight end. Undrafted rookie Jon Condo is handling the long snapping. Cowboys observers say Condo isn't the long snapper that Robinson is, but. ...

"He's a million dollars cheaper than I was," Robinson said.

Before his release, Robinson was scheduled to make $1.1 million in base salary. He was so sure that his days were numbered in Dallas that he has had his house on the market there since spring.

Robinson didn't stay unemployed for long. Just an hour or so after his name showed up on the league transaction wire Saturday, the Rams had him on the line. So, here he is, back for NFL season No. 13, and another go-around with the Rams.

"I wasn't just going to go anywhere," Robinson said. "I made that deal with my wife, that I wasn't just going to go to XYZ city just to snap or whatever. I was going to hang it up. But this was such a great opportunity. And to come back here was something that was totally unexpected."

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Does it? Problem with Robinson is that what we paid for when we signed him wasn't what we ended up with. We signed a guy who snapped, played on a few of the other special teams units, and good TE. When he got hurt here we started to limit his use so much that it just didn't justify the cost. A solid deep snapper is nice but, are there any other long snappers getting that kind of money?

Eskimo

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Does it? Problem with Robinson is that what we paid for when we signed him wasn't what we ended up with. We signed a guy who snapped, played on a few of the other special teams units, and good TE. When he got hurt here we started to limit his use so much that it just didn't justify the cost. A solid deep snapper is nice but, are there any other long snappers getting that kind of money?

The Robinson signing was a classic knee-jerk response by Jerry Jones - we had a couple of bad snaps the year before which cost us a couple of games so Jones decided the thing to do was to buy the best long snapper in the game and pay a high premium for it.

The year he was out Jeff Grau did the snapping and I don't recall a bad snap that year and he made the rookie minimum.

To put things in perspective, who do you think is more responsible for successin the kicking game - the kicker or the snapper? Well we've been paying our kickers rookie min salaries and our deep snapper $1.2M/yr. That situation is backwards.

My guess is Robinson got about a vet min contract with the Rams which is about right for a guy of his skill. He is a good player and I have no beef at all with him. I wish him well with the Rams.

Jon

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
The Robinson signing was a classic knee-jerk response by Jerry Jones - we had a couple of bad snaps the year before which cost us a couple of games so Jones decided the thing to do was to buy the best long snapper in the game and pay a high premium for it.

The year he was out Jeff Grau did the snapping and I don't recall a bad snap that year and he made the rookie minimum.

To put things in perspective, who do you think is more responsible for successin the kicking game - the kicker or the snapper? Well we've been paying our kickers rookie min salaries and our deep snapper $1.2M/yr. That situation is backwards.

My guess is Robinson got about a vet min contract with the Rams which is about right for a guy of his skill. He is a good player and I have no beef at all with him. I wish him well with the Rams.
:hammer:

Despite the big-money contract he was rewarded with, Robinson said he was surprised to last longer than one year in Dallas.

“I thought for sure they’d cut me that second year and they never did,” Robinson said. “Then I thought they would cut me before the third year and they didn’t. I had my house on the market this spring if that tells you anything.”

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/50804/

Compacity

Benched
Reaction score
This comes as a surprise diffently when we are low on tight ends.... he was more of the least you expect guy to get a touchdown.... so this move was whack...

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Good for Jeff, I enjoyed having him on the team, was a good team player and I am sure a good guy. Hope things work out well for him. Man I hope Condo is just as good or close to it, that will suck if we dont have a decent LSer.