Rod Gardner Almost Released From Skins!

Compacity

Benched
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2087512

Just another sign Gardner leaving Commanders

Pasquarelli_Len_35.jpg

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Moving closer to the divorce both sides have acknowledged is imminent, the Washington Commanders and Rod Gardner have mutually agreed that the veteran wide receiver will not attend the team's mandatory mini-camp this weekend.

The absence of Gardner at the mini-camp, which begins on Friday, is hardly surprising. Given that his four-year tenure in Washington has all but ended, the team essentially excused Gardner from all offseason activities. The agreement that Gardner will skip the mini-camp, however, further suggests his pending departure.

Early in the offseason, Washington afforded Gardner and agent Joel Segal permission to seek potential trade scenarios with other NFL teams. Despite discussions with several franchises — Minnesota, Seattle and Cleveland, among them — a deal never developed. That is in part, likely, because teams knew that Gardner would eventually be released and they could then sign him as an unrestricted free agent.

That scenario, with the Commanders officially cutting ties to their 2001 first-round draft choice, will come in the next few weeks.

By releasing Gardner, the Commanders will recoup $2.096 million in cap space, the full amount of his scheduled 2005 base salary. Washington will need that salary cap room to help sign its draft picks and possibly tinker slightly with the roster before camp begins. Gardner's base salary is currently the highest on the team.

In four seasons, Gardner has 227 receptions for 2,997 yards and 22 touchdowns. The former Clemson star, selected with the 15th overall choice in 2001, posted a career-best 71 catches for 1,006 yards and eight touchdowns in 2002. But what many felt would be a breakout season was followed by two years in which Gardner averaged 55 catches, 625 yards and five touchdowns.

Gardner, 27, suffered through stretches of inconsistency in 2004, dropped too many passes, and had just 51 receptions for 650 yards. His problems in 2004 aside, some teams still feel Gardner can be a solid No. 2 receiver, and that he can be acquired with a palatable contract, perhaps a one-year deal that would provide him the chance to re-establish himself and then go back into the free agent market next spring.

Washington has dramatically revamped its wide receiver corps in the offseason. The Commanders traded starter Laveranues Coles to the New York Jets for Santana Moss. The club also signed veteran free agents David Patten, Kevin Dyson and Jimmy Farris.

Hoods

Reaction score
I'll add him to my list of guys we shouldn't pick up.

ravidubey

Reaction score
He would add quality depth for when Key and/or Glenn go down with injury.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Compacity said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2087512

Washington has dramatically revamped its wide receiver corps in the offseason. The Commanders traded starter Laveranues Coles to the New York Jets for Santana Moss. The club also signed veteran free agents David Patten, Kevin Dyson and Jimmy Farris.
Sarcasm on.
Yeah this WR corps really is dramatically revamped! ;) :skins:

Santana is soo much better than Laveranues Coles. Thats a plus.
David Patten and Kevin Dyson are practically starters>Rod Gardener
Sarcasm off.

31smackdown

Reaction score
I actually think Gardner is a decent receiver, at least on par with Quincy Morgan.

Of course the first thought that comes to my head is Roy beheading him to end the Monday night game last year... but he did hold on to the football...

Roughneck

Reaction score
Depending on his price, I wouldn't mind giving him a look. After what we went through at this postion last year, it certainly wouldn't hurt to make a veteran addition or two.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
I think Lenny P is whiffing on this one.

They released Morton to get alittle cap room.....and I bet hold onto Gardner for the summer to see if somebody gets a WR dinged. Then try to work a trade for conditional watever.

playit12

Reaction score
Wheat said:

They released Morton to get alittle cap room.....and I bet hold onto Gardner for the summer to see if somebody gets a WR dinged. Then try to work a trade for conditional watever.

The didn't gain much room by releasing Morton (500k if I recall correctly). They need to drop Gardner in order to sign their two first round picks.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would like to see us sign Gardner. He is exactly the kind of compliment we would need to go with Key and Glenn IMO.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
31smackdown said:
Of course the first thought that comes to my head is Roy beheading him to end the Monday night game last year... but he did hold on to the football...

That was a vicious collision. I remember how loud it was. They must have had one of those little sideline audio picker uppers really close.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Combine Key's lack of speed with Morgan's undependable hands, and you have Rod Gardner. All he's missing is Terry Glenn's fragility.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
playit12 said:
The didn't gain much room by releasing Morton (500k if I recall correctly). They need to drop Gardner in order to sign their two first round picks.
Barrow is going to just be forced to retire soon. He still is hurt.

there is your cap room.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wheat said:

That was my first thought. He's too good a player not to get at least a conditional pick for the guy from somebody. I think he'd make a fine #3 WR.

Bufford, I mean, Wheat: has he ever played any ST in Wash?

k19

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll be almost signed by someone since he's almost released

playit12

Reaction score
Wheat said:
Barrow is going to just be forced to retire soon. He still is hurt.

there is your cap room.

Maybe maybe not... Everyone thought so at the beggining of the off season but without Barrow they don't have a natural MLB on the team. They have a few guys bulking up but you usually like to keep at least one guy who you know can play the spot at least into camp. I'd say they keep Barrow until the middle of camp to see if he can be replaced. Then cut him when he has helped train his replacement.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
He's similar to Morgan in a way - looks very much like a career fourth receiver.

No thanks! Give Crayton, Copper, et al a shot before a career underachiever with a bad 'tude.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
Considering..........Why not? He's been productive since coming into the league, and that one really good 2002 season. This will only be his 5th season, only 27- perhaps a change of scenery is what he needs to break out. He's exactly what I'm looking at to upgrade this position this late in the 4th quarter. A young guy with a good upside, that's what we need. Decent size too- the midgets are yesteryear.

To the guy that said "Career Forth Reciever",.. give me a guy who averages 50 catches a year for a forth guy anyday of the week. Around here we're lucky to have a number 1 guy and the TE with over 50 catches.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:
To the guy that said "Career Forth Reciever",.. give me a guy who averages 50 catches a year for a forth guy anyday of the week. Around here we're lucky to have a number 1 guy and the TE with over 50 catches.

Gardner cut his teeth in Spurrier's Fun N Gun, he should have put up big numbers. Like Coles, (a true talent), he's had a hissy fit the wideouts aren't going to put up Randy Moss stats in a Gibbs offense.

This 'guy' will take his chances with Crayton/Copper/Crowder developing into something as least as competent as Gardner, and twice as classy.