Rod Marinelli Appreciation Thread

T-RO

Reaction score
-Scandrick isn't healthy...not the same
-DLaw out
-No draft/FA replacements for Gregory, Hardy
-No help from Jaylon
-Lee isn't the same player has he was few years ago

In other words we have no pass rush, below-par linebackers, questionable secondary.

And yet the Cowboys have given up 20, 23, 17 and 17....and they've had clutch stops.

Granted the competition is about to get a whole lot tougher but I'm simply blown away that our defense has been pretty good so far.

Even with good coaching there are going to be some games where this defense gets torched. There just isn't enough talent. But wow, super job by the defensive coaches!

MileyDancer

Reaction score
I'll give him credit. I'm not a fan of his (overrated, imo), but our defense has NOT been NEAR as bad as i thought it would be, ESPECIALLY with the garbage he gas to work with. Props.

T-RO

Reaction score
I'm sure Rod likes to remind Linehan of who has the tougher job!

Just compare all the groceries that the offensive coaches get to play with
Elliott - high first round
Dez - high first round
Smith - high first round
Martin - first round
Frederick - first round

Half of offensive starters were first rounders!!!! And that's not even counting the fact that Linehan inherited all-pros Romo and Witten.

Meanwhile Marinelli has a cluster of good players but is often been forced to fill out his roster with second hand clothes, lumber yard scraps and duct tape!

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I like Rod and think he's an excellent coach, but here's two important facts to consider:

1) Dallas is 2nd in Time of Possession and 2) Dallas is 3rd in Fewest Turnovers. When your offense is controlling the game and not turning the ball over, it makes it easier on your defense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Im
Not a fan but his unit always plays far better than people predict. That's why I laughed when people said we'd give up 30 a game.

But his defensive line.......let's just hope it's a Lawrence away from getting pressure.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I like Rod and think he's an excellent coach, but here's two important facts to consider:

1) Dallas is 2nd in Time of Possession and 2) Dallas is 3rd in Fewest Turnovers. When your offense is controlling the game and not turning the ball over, it makes it easier on your defense.

That's usually how it works though. The Eagirls have a great defense and they are #1. Most of the solid defenses have offenses that hold the ball awhile.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

only 6 sacks......OP needs to tap the breaks

T-RO

Reaction score
only 6 sacks......OP needs to tap the breaks

No you need to adjust your sensors.

Marinelli is working with late rounders and guys off the street. The fact is we have zero pass rushers on this team..yet the D has held all 4 opponents under 23 points...only demonstrates Rod's brilliance.

M'rNelli...is..a..miracle. A mir...cle

Last edited:

Daillest88

Reaction score
No you need to adjust your sensors.

Marinelli is working with late rounders and guys off the street. The fact that we have zero pass rushers on this team...and we can safely say ZERO...and yet the D has held all 4 opponents under 23 points...only demonstrates Rod's brilliance.

M'rNelli...is..a..miracle. A mir...cle

Agree with what your saying, Lawrence should make it easier on the dline and secondary

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Marinelli could end up being the first player/coach to be honored with an appreciation thread one week and hate thread the following week if we can't contain AJ Green on Sunday.

T-RO

Reaction score
nobody else wants to say it huh? ok fine:

Eli
Cousins
Hoyer
Gabbert

-Skins and Cousins put up 31 on Cleveland and 29 points on Giants
-Hoyer threw for +300 years against Detroit
-Eli threw for 360 against Saints, 350 against Skins.
-Giants posted 450 yards and 27 points on Skins
-Niners put 28 on Rams

Yet Rod's defense has permitted nothing like that. Have we faced a great offense? No! I already said that. But with what Marinelli has in his tool shed to work with...this is nothing short of stunning and scintillating coaching job. Defense has been stable, consistent, successful. Double his pay!

As for your post...Nice Try. Insert Coin. Try Again.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The DB coach deserves more credit if you ask me. Claiborne and Wilcox are performing better than anyone expected. Jones and Brown, two very young players, look good. And his best player, Scandrick, has been injured all year. They seem to have 1-2 egregious busts in coverage each game but otherwise the secondary has played well.

T-RO

Reaction score
The DB coach deserves more credit if you ask me. Claiborne and Wilcox are performing better than anyone expected. Jones and Brown, two very young players, look good. And his best player, Scandrick, has been injured all year. They seem to have 1-2 egregious busts in coverage each game but otherwise the secondary has played well.

Throw him in for honors. Props to Coach Joe Baker. Jerry....You need to double his pay too!

rockj7

Reaction score
-Scandrick isn't healthy...not the same
-DLaw out
-No draft/FA replacements for Gregory, Hardy
-No help from Jaylon
-Lee isn't the same player has he was few years ago

In other words we have no pass rush, below-par linebackers, questionable secondary.

And yet the Cowboys have given up 20, 23, 17 and 17....and they've had clutch stops.

Granted the competition is about to get a whole lot tougher but I'm simply blown away that our defense has been pretty good so far.

Even with good coaching there are going to be some games where this defense gets torched. There just isn't enough talent. But wow, super job by the defensive coaches!

This coming off-season we need to get Coach Rod real pieces on his side of the ball if he can do this with the little he has just imagine if we invest in that side of the ball