Rod Marinelli Appreciation Thread

RandyOh

Reaction score
I'll admit I started to turn on him but he has definitely done a much better job then expected. Would be great if we made next year's draft a defensive draft and gave him some young and hungry weapons that u know arnt morons like his right end and middle linebacker.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Sorry this old man is a terrible hire.He has prevented jerry from drafting Defense because Jerry thinks he can turn Jags into good players.Our D will never improve as long as he is here.We need dominant players on the DL and we will never have that as long as is the coach.look at the eagles,theiy dont have great talent across their D but they have 1 all pro and another solid player in the DL who make everybodys job that much easier.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Sorry this old man is a terrible hire.He has prevented jerry from drafting Defense because Jerry thinks he can turn Jags into good players.Our D will never improve as long as he is here.We need dominant players on the DL and we will never have that as long as is the coach.look at the eagles,theiy dont have great talent across their D but they have 1 all pro and another solid player in the DL who make everybodys job that much easier.
He is overrated big time, and cant wait till he no longer the DC of this team

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

So he was a bad hire because got better than expected production from his roster? OK.

BTW, they have been drafting defense. 2nd round this year. 1st and 2nd round in '15. 2nd rounder in '14.

This was a horrible post, @reddyuta.

T-RO

Reaction score
This coming off-season we need to get Coach Rod real pieces on his side of the ball if he can do this with the little he has just imagine if we invest in that side of the ball

Exactly. Not since he's been here has Rod had a nice set of weapons for his side of the ball.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This coming off-season we need to get Coach Rod real pieces on his side of the ball if he can do this with the little he has just imagine if we invest in that side of the ball
We need to invest with more than risk in the 2nd rd.

T-RO

Reaction score

Was this dream of yours in black and white or color? You seriously conjured a scene in your head where Rod told Jerry, "Nah...I don't need any players on defense, Jerry. You go spend get Scott and the offense some more first rounders!"

You do win something for such a post! I award you "Cowboys Zone Most Imaginative" poster decal! Can you tell me a story while I eat crackers?

reddyuta

Reaction score
So he was a bad hire because got better than expected production from his roster? OK.

BTW, they have been drafting defense. 2nd round this year. 1st and 2nd round in '15. 2nd rounder in '14.

This was a horrible post, @reddyuta.

a guy who may never play a down of football? In fairness that is not Marinellis fault but we still are scrapping the bottom for pass rushers and more importantly DTs.It requires significant talent infusion and my fear is that Jerry will never do it as long as Marinelli is here.

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
I remember when people tried to run Sean Payton and Mike Zimmer out of town. Coaches make convenient scapegoats and 9/10 times the talent is the problem.

I don't think it's possible to put together a top defense with this type of pass rush talent. I'm not sure what people are expecting.

T-RO

Reaction score
I remember when people tried to run Sean Payton and Mike Zimmer out of town. Coaches make convenient scapegoats and 9/10 times the talent is the problem.

I don't think it's possible to put together a top defense with this type of pass rush talent. I'm not sure what people are expecting.

Post of the day. My work is done here!

waving monkey

Reaction score
The DB coach deserves more credit if you ask me. Claiborne and Wilcox are performing better than anyone expected. Jones and Brown, two very young players, look good. And his best player, Scandrick, has been injured all year. They seem to have 1-2 egregious busts in coverage each game but otherwise the secondary has played well.
no question about this

waving monkey

Reaction score

What Marinelli is doing not many can do.
quote-default.jpg
Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n.

T-RO

Reaction score
I fully expect some offensives are going to light it up against Rod's D. It's coming, almost for sure as the season advances. Scheme and motivation and duct tape can only go so far.

And when that happens we'll have all the simple-minded fans on here wanting to fire all the coaches and fix everything with a waive of the magical wand.

We don't have a wand. There is no wand. This is the NFL and league rules all in favor the offense. The league wants to put on a show. Frankly I prefer a show even if that makes life hell on defensive coordinators.

There is no wand...but we do have a rod...and under the circumstances he's been served....he's doing remarkable things in Dallas.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

What about all those years Peyton and Zimmer teams struggled....fans love to cherry pick the good years when making comparisons....I have not been that impressed with Marinelli, I don't see a scheme or mindset that inspires me......all I see is bend and don't break and a bunch of easy to read blitzes

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I'm sure Rod likes to remind Linehan of who has the tougher job!

Just compare all the groceries that the offensive coaches get to play with
Elliott - high first round
Dez - high first round
Smith - high first round
Martin - first round
Frederick - first round

Half of offensive starters were first rounders!!!! And that's not even counting the fact that Linehan inherited all-pros Romo and Witten.

Meanwhile Marinelli has a cluster of good players but is often been forced to fill out his roster with second hand clothes, lumber yard scraps and duct tape!
That's not fair! Give the defense 5 1st rd picks and it would be sick

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Didn't wanna start any arguments but when peeps say that the Eagles don't have any talent on their D line, I offer the following:
  • Fletcher cox 1st rd 12th pick overall
  • Marcus smith 1st rd 26th pick overall
  • Brandon graham 1st rd 13th pick overall
  • Conner barwin 2nd rd 46th pick overall
  • Vinny curry. 2nd rd 59th pick overall
  • Bennie Logan 3rd rd 67th pick overall
  • Steven means 5th rd 147th pick overall
Comeon man. That's what I call investing in the D line

Now what makes the Eagles special is that they are able to put together a decent Oline without much investment, so they can spend those dollars on the D.

Jason Peters - UDFA.
Jason Kelce - 6th rd
Brandon Brooks - 3rd rd
Lane Johnson - 1st rd
Allen barber - 4th rd.

Basically, the Eagles and Cowboys took opposite approaches with their O and D lines.

Oh and on a totally different topic, Carson Wentz kinda reminds me of jay novecek except he plays qb.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bingo. It's talent. Almost always talent. You have to draft it, develop it, bring it in in FA, know when to let it walk and when to pay it. Then you have to get lucky.

The quality of coaching is a function of an entire staff and of all the work that goes into preparation and not just what happens on gamedays. You need stability, and you need to somehow outperform the rest of the league in finding players. It's tough to do in a league where several teams are pretty good at it. Tougher when you have an owner who's willing to devote precious resources to long-shots over and over.