Rod Smith odd man out?

blueblood70

Reaction score
maybe, maybe not but his days are numbered, we have crowded Camp Backfield,

Zekes a lock, Olalwlae just resigned, Weber/Pollard rookies, and person ive never heard of in Chun? , and finally Jackson..

Rod Smith limited carried ok on ST but I feel 3 of them wont make it and I doubt the rookies get cut unless they absolutely suck or fumble a lot etc..

It could be interesting with Zeke being spelled by Weber and Pollard both different skills sets , keep the D guessing with how to approach each guy when they come in..

Interesting camp for this group and the Dline..both were needs and I feel like we have the bodies to provide competition and drive each other to let the best rise to the top..

stinkface

Reaction score
Rod's best quality is he could do a lot of things. Special teams were a huge part of him being here. I think one of these DE's that can run will be the new Rod Smith.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Rod Smith isn’t on this team
LMAO spent too much time on the lake the last 2 days, sun got me :omg::huh::lmao2:

thats news to me I thought he was URFA type that they had to make decsions on but that makes it easier, makes sense now why they drafted 2 RBs..

still interesting camp battle to figure out roles..

DandyTom64

Reaction score
LMAO spent too much time on the lake the last 2 days, sun got me :omg::huh::lmao2:

thats news to me I thought he was URFA type that they had to make decsions on but that makes it easier, makes sense now why they drafted 2 RBs..

I hope you didn't recycle your beer in the lake. Wouldn't want the fish to get tipsy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Rod's best quality is he could do a lot of things. Special teams were a huge part of him being here. I think one of these DE's that can run will be the new Rod Smith.
true, I think Pollard is the guy now with a higher upside, since he can return kicks...

question is would pollard be able to return punts....

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Rod Smith's role on offense will be replaced by Weber. Watching him on tape, he's that same kind of north-south guy that Smith is and he's not a bad pass blocker.

As far as special teams, we will have to see, because I think Rod was one of our leading tacklers there. But 2.9 YPC just ain't going to cut it for a #2 running back.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

Desert Storm 2019?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Rod was always a glorified FB

He won't be missed and that is why he is still a FA

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
Rod was always a glorified FB

He won't be missed and that is why he is still a FA

Oh hell yes. Nice guy, ran hard but I got sick and tired of him crashing into the line and falling forward for 3 yards when someone with some wiggle could've got a LOT more. Ready for Pollard and Weber to backup Zeke in a big way. As someone else said, Zeke should be grateful. They're actually looking out for him with these two picks.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Interesting camp for this group and the Dline..both were needs and I feel like we have the bodies to provide competition and drive each other to let the best rise to the top..

I think their position on Rod Smith was to see what they got in the draft and then bring him back if things didn't fall their way. They clearly targeted one RB and got two, so that would rule out them bringing Smith back IMO.

Weber was rated as a 5th round pick by Dane Brugler and the Cowboys have said they had him rated higher than his draft round, so you have to think Rod Smith won't be back.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
It's not looking good for rod remaining a cowboy. Hope someone picks him up.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Rod Smith is an unrestricted FA whom Dallas doesn't have interest in bringing back.