Rodgers-Cromartie as our S?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Giants are parting ways with this 120-year vet. Not a bad stopgap for our secondary.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
Blimey!
The Giants wanted to move him there. Then they could not get close in negotiations. I would make him a safety here in a new yawk minute.

Which is strange because a quality safety can make more than a corner. Maybe he just doesn't wan't (or can't) play the position effectively?

Carter

Reaction score
The Giants released him cause he declined a move to Safety! He wants to a Team that Plays him on the Outside. So Pass.

spook930

Reaction score
Yeah I was going to say he wants to go back as an outside corner....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He wants to stay at CB. Made that clear on his way out of New York.

canters

Reaction score
We cannot sign everyone, and this smells like grasping at straws. If he was so good, they would have found a way to keep him. Money can be hidden and moved for players a team wants. They did not want him bad enough, and their D was average last year.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Look I know it has been done before, good CBs that lost a step making the transition to safety ala Rod Woodson, but it seems that the transition is much harder than expected, see Ball and jones. While I am sure some have made an acceptable transition none come to mind. Its seems to be a boom or bust transition.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He's 31. Who would he replace? A 22 year old Xavier Woods, a 25 year old Byron Jones or a 26 year old Heath?

The Cowboys are a young team, offensively and defensively, for the most part. He doesn't fit.

And before anybody brings up the "veteran presence" comment, how'd that work out with Nolan Carroll?

NO...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He's 31. Who would he replace? A 22 year old Xavier Woods, a 25 year old Byron Jones or a 26 year old Heath?

The Cowboys are a young team, offensively and defensively, for the most part. He doesn't fit.

And before anybody brings up the "veteran presence" comment, how'd that work out with Nolan Carroll?

NO...
Veteran presence is overrated.look at Witten.
I was thinking R-C, as stated, as a stopgap.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Veteran presence is overrated.look at Witten.
I was thinking R-C, as stated, as a stopgap.

If he plays, one of the young guys gets set back. Then after a couple of years your "stopgap" player leaves, and you have a young guy who's got only 1 year, maybe left on his rookie contract, so either you pay him big $$ not knowing he can hack it, or he leaves and some other team gets a player that has been in camps and pre-season games and probably some regular season games and had had training.

I hear you, and if he was 27-28, maybe, but 31? And he'll be 32 at the start of the season.
Just too old...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If he plays, one of the young guys gets set back. Then after a couple of years your "stopgap" player leaves, and you have a young guy who's got only 1 year, maybe left on his rookie contract, so either you pay him big $$ not knowing he can hack it, or he leaves and some other team gets a player that has been in camps and pre-season games and probably some regular season games and had had training.

I hear you, and if he was 27-28, maybe, but 31? And he'll be 32 at the start of the season.
Just too old...
If only we also could think of Witten on those terms. Swaim, Hannah, etc. were set back
last season and I don't think I can take another year of his expernsive 8-yard routes ... but back to Rod-Cro...
He is available, serviceable and will be relatively cheap as a stopgap.
...and it is the off season for such musings.