Rodrigue Wright & Jason Tuck

Nightshade

Reaction score
Rodrigue Wright at 11 & Jason Tuck at 20!!

How would that 1st round go over with the Cowboyszone faithfull?

Or you never know maybe Mathias Kiwanuka might fall all the way to us at
20. :eek:

lkelly

Reaction score
The BC defensive end may fall to us - in 2006.

Actually, I hope he doesn't since it will mean we won about 3 games in 2005.

Bobo

Reaction score
Kiwi is going back to school.

What happened to Wright? Didn't he have great years as a SO and JR? Then he fell off a lot as a SR? Any Texas fans got any info on that?

mullet

Reaction score
Nightshade said:

Wright is a junior, and has not declared.
Tuck has not declared either.
We will find out about both these players decisions this week.

Bobo

Reaction score
mullet said:
Wright is a junior, and has not declared.
Tuck has not declared either.
We will find out about both these players decisions this week.

You're right, he's a JR. I just looked up his stats and they are a noticable drop off from his SO year and even FR year. So maybe the guy will stay and try to get his #'s back up in his SR year.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Tuck tore his ACL the final game of his Soph. year. He didn't explosion didn't really start coming back to him until the end of the season. That's probably why he'll return to Notre Dame. He's a physical freak of nature when he's healthy.

I think he'll have a better career than Kiwanuka in the NFL.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Nightshade said:

Kiwanuka is staying in school, will have to wait until 06 for him... I'd rather have Haloti Ngata DT of Oregon instead of wright, IMO. Check out some other links on him and his bio... Check out his forty time dude. FAN FRIGGIN TASTIC.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
I think teams starting paying more attention to Wright this year. So that might explain his drop in numbers. But the one game I saw him play in he was constantly in the backfield. I take him if a number of other players werent there at #11.

As for Tuck. He had a good year despite the injury. He has first round potential and the thought of another injury might be enough for him to declare.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Kevlee06 said:
I think teams starting paying more attention to Wright this year. So that might explain his drop in numbers. But the one game I saw him play in he was constantly in the backfield. I take him if a number of other players werent there at #11.

As for Tuck. He had a good year despite the injury. He has first round potential and the thought of another injury might be enough for him to declare.

Wright also suffered a ankle injury. He missed one game I believe and was hampered the rest of the time. I never thought he was deserving of a top ten pick, but late 1st round or early second wouldn't be bad. He probably will stay in school because Mack Brown has never had a player leave early.

There has been speculation that the other tackle, Larry Dibbles is big and could come out early. Don't know if he will, but he could be a day two pick up.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Haloti Ngata, (if he declares) would be a far better pick than Rodrique Wright. I'm on that bandwagon, and it hasn't even left the station.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Seems like all of the best DT's and DE's are juniors.

What about Antaj Hawthorne and Erasmus James. I could see these guys being worth it at 20, but any of the esteemed members of this forum see these players being good value at 11?

If not what combination of DT and DE would do it for you, or should we trade down?

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
Seems like all of the best DT's and DE's are juniors.

What about Antaj Hawthorne and Erasmus James. I could see these guys being worth it at 20, but any of the esteemed members of this forum see these players being good value at 11?

If not what combination of DT and DE would do it for you, or should we trade down?
James is not an option for a 3-4...won't happen. Hawthorne could be a DE...rather have others like Marcus Spears or Sean Cody with #20.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
James is not an option for a 3-4...won't happen. Hawthorne could be a DE...rather have others like Marcus Spears or Sean Cody with #20.

I don't see us going exclusively or even predominantly 3-4 until we can pick up a NT. Word around Buffalo is that Pat Williams is staying in Buffalo. Ferguson would also probably be a DE in a 3-4 scheme so I can't see us veering away from the 4-3 for more than 30% of situational defenses.

To be honest I don't think the talent is there to take a DT or a DE at 11 this year. I hope we either trade down for more picks or go with WR at 11 and pick up a DT or DE at 20.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
I don't see us going exclusively or even predominantly 3-4 until we can pick up a NT. Word around Buffalo is that Pat Williams is staying in Buffalo. Ferguson would also probably be a DE in a 3-4 scheme so I can't see us veering away from the 4-3 for more than 30% of situational defenses.

To be honest I don't think the talent is there to take a DT or a DE at 11 this year. I hope we either trade down for more picks or go with WR at 11 and pick up a DT or DE at 20.
Ferguson would not be a DE...he is a NT in a 3-4, Pat Williams is an option. As far as draft there are 4 or 5 targets in the 3-5 rounds that fit the 3-4 nose very well. Example....

Sign either Williams or Ferguson at NT
Draft...
NT’s

Luis Castillo

Anthony Bryant (Perfect Fit)

Albert Means

Ronald Fields

Sione Pouha (Perfect Fit)

Also...when we go 3-4 now Glover moves to NT...him along with one of the above works. Add Spears or Sean Cody to DE and we are set! Not nearly as difficult as folks here are making it out to be...

lkelly

Reaction score
I can't imagine any sane coach playing Glover at NT in a 3-4 alignment for very long. The interior linebackers would be flattened.

Derinyar

Reaction score
lkelly said:
I can't imagine any sane coach playing Glover at NT in a 3-4 alignment for very long. The interior linebackers would be flattened.
DING DING DING. Give the man a Cupie doll.

Glover is almost too small for a 3-4 DE, and doesn't play right for one anyway.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
If we drafted either one of those guys in the first round I'll drive to Valley Ranch and kick the crap out of Bill Parcells and Jerry Jones. Hell, I'll even find Larry Lacewell and whoop his a** too.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
Ferguson would not be a DE...he is a NT in a 3-4, Pat Williams is an option. As far as draft there are 4 or 5 targets in the 3-5 rounds that fit the 3-4 nose very well. Example....

Sign either Williams or Ferguson at NT
Draft...
NT’s

Luis Castillo

Anthony Bryant (Perfect Fit)

Albert Means

Ronald Fields

Sione Pouha (Perfect Fit)

Also...when we go 3-4 now Glover moves to NT...him along with one of the above works. Add Spears or Sean Cody to DE and we are set! Not nearly as difficult as folks here are making it out to be...

Great quote dude PF!
Thanks for the info and the links. So we could do alot better for ourselves if we trade down and get some extra picks. We could pick up a DT, FS and maybe Mark Clayton would still be there at 20 after that national championship.

Now if we did go to the 3-4 frequently enough to supersede picking James, would we then have to play John Abraham as an OLB if we got him in FA? And how do you think Glover would perform as a DE in a 3-4?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If Tuck has the workout many are expecting he will, there is a better than zilch chance he's not going to be there at #20. He's been nicknamed "The Freak" at Notre Dame for his athletic ability, and broke their all time sack record with still a season of eligibility to go.

I would be ecstatic with those two picks. The only thing about Wright is that he's not a nosetackle. He's more of a Kevin Williams type.

(and as far as free agent NT's, I've seen Marcus Bell rated as a better player than Pat Williams)