Roger Goodell stinks at pronouncing some players names

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I think it's disrespectful that he can't take the time and ask the questions necessary to get the pronunciations right. This is a big event for the draftees. Don't understand why a guy who makes $35M a year and is charged with announcing the picks can't take the 30 seconds or so that would be required to learn the correct pronunciation of Tua Tagovailoa, for example. It's shameful. But Goodell is a clown.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
If a cop pulled him over and looked at him, they would have to do a field sobriety test...don't know if he is drunk, stoned or on a three day bender with no sleep.
I wouldn’t want his job right now. Multi billion dollar business has no control over how to put its product out there and advertisers revenue is also going to be less this year.

As the one trying to steer a ship into a tsunami and just praying that the ship doesn’t capsize and no guarantee the lifeboats will survive, it’s not a good job to have.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, it would interesting to examine Goodell's draft cards and find out if there are any pronunciation clues listed. I have thought for a long time the NFL could prepare better by having the phonetic spelling of each player's name on the cards. Maybe they have already done so and announcers like Goodell still butcher the names.

Goodell's on-screen persona is simply poor. His body posture is stiff. His facial expressions are listless, although his smiles do him good whenever something funny happens spontaneously for him. He is the Ben Stein of the NFL.

All that said, the booing is old. It was fresh for the first year or so and kinda made a bit of an impact on Goodell. He has since gotten past it.

Goodell had made booing an annual laughing matter and capitalized on a (really) weakly publicly-constructed villain persona. Now, he and the owners have become so used to the nonsense that they are proactively channeling it into worthwhile charitable contribution. Budweiser developed a brilliant campaign (link) for exactly that reason. Good stuff.

Fans getting air time are still missing golden opportunities to throw real mud at Goodell. I have said several times in the past folks attending the draft in person could have done things like STAND UP and turn their backs in silence to Goodell each time he walked on stage. The networks would have loved it.

This draft has given some fans unique opportunities of being IN THE SAME camera shot as the NFL commissioner. Somebody, one person, could have MOONed him. Or held up a sign in front of their cam like 'YOU SUCK GOODELL!' Heck. Throwing the middle finger would be a classic move. Maybe someone has and I missed it. Otherwise, it is business as usual and Goodell plus the league and now Budweiser are smirking even more over the practice than before.

Whatever. "BOOOOOOOOOO!"

[The above had the exact same effect on Goodell just now. Zip.]

/rant

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
For being a well educated and business experienced man, plus the NFL Commissioner, he stinks at pronouncing some players' names. o_O

Overall, though, I think the Commish is doing a pretty good job micro-managing and hosting the 2020 NFL DRAFT "social distancing" style. Just hope he reinstates current Cowboys suspended DEs Randy Gregory and Aldon Smith soon afterwards.
Educated doesn't mean cultured, there's a big difference. And it doesn't surprise he can't pronounce the names. I bet 50% of this board can't as well.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
For being a well educated and business experienced man, plus the NFL Commissioner, he stinks at pronouncing some players' names. o_O

Overall, though, I think the Commish is doing a pretty good job micro-managing and hosting the 2020 NFL DRAFT "social distancing" style. Just hope he reinstates current Cowboys suspended DEs Randy Gregory and Aldon Smith soon afterwards.
The names used to be pretty easy in the old days....Lilly, Staubach lol

Now you have guys from all over the place. The hyphenated names are what get me but that's just me. If it were me announcing the picks I would be butchering them worse than God-ell. :laugh: