roh pessimism...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I hate to be a jackass but...

You know i think the problem with the ring of honor and stuff like this, there will always be people that shouldn't be in, and others who should be.
I think problems can come easily with people who are fan favorites, but weren't really that great of players. Bill Bates comes to mind, but he was a special teams expert, not a superstar, but i dont think anybody would hate to see him in the ROH

And maybe im a little bit ahead of myself here, but what happens when the ring runs out of room?

CowboyFFL7

Reaction score
TheFuture21 said:
would what?

lol, sorry

would hate to see Bill Bates in the ROH

well, not "hate"...

at that point it would be a personal thing and not an accomplishment thing

hell, why don't we put in Lynn Scott too, I heard he's a really nice guy

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheFuture21 said:
And maybe im a little bit ahead of myself here, but what happens when the ring runs out of room?
Start a new ring. Who says we can only have one?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Start a new ring. Who says we can only have one?

With the new stadium, they should consider something like this.

To me the Ring of Honor is a special honor. I hold that in higher esteem than the Hall of Fame.

There is no way players like Billy Bates should even be considered.

And that is nothing bad towards him, but being a solid fan favorite should not be akin to players who are either in Canton, or belong in Canton.

We could easily do something around the new stadium to honor these types players, statues, plaques etc. I just don't think we need to do things like put them in the Ring.

There are many players who fit here (* those with an asterisk are borderline ROH):

CB Cornell Green*
CB Everson Walls
CB Dennis Thurman
S Michael Downs
S Bill Bates
S Brock Marion
S Darren Woodson* (ROH!)
LB Eugene Lockhart
LB Dave Edwards
LB Mike Hegman
LB Dexter Coakley
DL George Andrie
DL Russell Maryland
DL Jethro Pugh
DL Jim Jeffcoat
DL Larry Cole
DL John Dutton
DL Harvey Martin*
DL Ed Jones*
QB Danny White
FB Daryl Johnston*
FB Walt Garrison
FB Robert Newhouse
RB Calvin Hill
RB Duane Thomas
OT Mark Tuinei
OT Erik Williams
OG Larry Allen*
OG Nate Newton
OG Ralph Neely
OG Blaine Nye
C Mark Stepnoski
OL Pat Donovan
OL Tom Rafferty
WR Alvin Harper
WR Drew Pearson (should be in the Ring)*
TE Jay Novacek*
TE Billy Joe Dupree

There are more, but you get the drift.

We should have a walk of honor, stars leading into the stadium, like the Walk of Fame in Hollywood to commorate the great Cowboys we have had over the years.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
With the new stadium, they should consider something like this.

To me the Ring of Honor is a special honor. I hold that in higher esteem than the Hall of Fame.

There is no way players like Billy Bates should even be considered.

And that is nothing bad towards him, but being a solid fan favorite should not be akin to players who are either in Canton, or belong in Canton.

We could easily do something around the new stadium to honor these types players, statues, plaques etc. I just don't think we need to do things like put them in the Ring.

There are many players who fit here (* those with an asterisk are borderline ROH):

CB Cornell Green*
CB Everson Walls
CB Dennis Thurman
S Michael Downs
S Bill Bates
S Brock Marion
S Darren Woodson* (ROH!)
LB Eugene Lockhart
LB Dave Edwards
LB Mike Hegman
LB Dexter Coakley
DL George Andrie
DL Russell Maryland
DL Jethro Pugh
DL Jim Jeffcoat
DL Larry Cole
DL John Dutton
DL Harvey Martin*
DL Ed Jones*
QB Danny White
FB Daryl Johnston*
FB Walt Garrison
FB Robert Newhouse
RB Calvin Hill
RB Duane Thomas
OT Mark Tuinei
OT Erik Williams
OG Larry Allen*
OG Nate Newton
OG Ralph Neely
OG Blaine Nye
C Mark Stepnoski
OL Pat Donovan
OL Tom Rafferty
WR Alvin Harper
WR Drew Pearson (should be in the Ring)*
TE Jay Novacek*
TE Billy Joe Dupree

There are more, but you get the drift.

We should have a walk of honor, stars leading into the stadium, like the Walk of Fame in Hollywood to commorate the great Cowboys we have had over the years.
:hammer:

From top to bottom on the friggin :money:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
TheFuture21 said:
I hate to be a jackass but...

You know i think the problem with the ring of honor and stuff like this, there will always be people that shouldn't be in, and others who should be.
I think problems can come easily with people who are fan favorites, but weren't really that great of players. Bill Bates comes to mind, but he was a special teams expert, not a superstar, but i dont think anybody would hate to see him in the ROH

there are alot of deserving guys, but it has been 10 years now since we won the last of those championships...its not like Jones put them in the ROH the day after we beat Pittsburgh or something

and while people can argue about who deserves to be in and all, nobody that could have been selected deserves to be in MORE than Aikman-Irvin-Smith...only extreme voter bias kept Irvin from being a 1st ballot HOF, and both Aikman and Smith will be first ballot HOF...

David

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I do not argue that Ailman, Irvin and Smith do not deserve to be in the RoH; most certainly they do. I do argue that there are others who should have gotten in before them. Specifically Drew Pearson, the lack of honors that he has been awarded since his retirement is a travesty.

Those listed by Alexander and marked with an asterisk are pretty much on the money though I would remove Novacek and replace him with Everson Walls. Novacek did not play long enough for the Cowboys to be representative of what the Ring means IMO. Walls did miraculous things with what was considered limited ability...too small, too slow, etc. and still lead the league in INT's 3 consecutive years.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Wel i radt in Micks mail, that with the new staduim there also building a cowboys hall of fame, so we wont ahve to wrroy about running out of room on the ring of honor

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JackMagist said:
I do not argue that Ailman, Irvin and Smith do not deserve to be in the RoH; most certainly they do. I do argue that there are others who should have gotten in before them. Specifically Drew Pearson, the lack of honors that he has been awarded since his retirement is a travesty.
:hammer:

jimmy40

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
there are alot of deserving guys, but it has been 10 years now since we won the last of those championships...its not like Jones put them in the ROH the day after we beat Pittsburgh or something

and while people can argue about who deserves to be in and all, nobody that could have been selected deserves to be in MORE than Aikman-Irvin-Smith...only extreme voter bias kept Irvin from being a 1st ballot HOF, and both Aikman and Smith will be first ballot HOF...

David
Was Irvin the all time leading receiver when he retired?