Romo Among Fastest to 4,000 Yards?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Romo currently has 3,501 yards passing in 13 regular season starts. Here are the five fastest to reach 4,000:

1. Warner 15 starts (4,218 yards)
1. Bulger 15 starts (4,015 yards)
3. Marino 16 starts
4. PManning 17 starts
4. Culpepper 17 starts

499 yards in the next 2 games would tie Romo at the top.

BTW, no Dallas QB has ever thrown for 4,000 yards in a single season.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Thats an interesting stat

He plays very differently than those other guys too, they are pure pocket passers (maybe culpepper is the exception) but tony makes a lot of his plays on the run. He shouldn't have any problem getting to 4,000 in the next two games.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
I never thought I'd see the day when comparisons were being made to the Dallas O, and the Greatest Show on Turf. Big props to Jerry for getting Garrett in here, despite the complaints and accusations.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;1675821 said:
I never thought I'd see the day when comparisons were being made to the Dallas O, and the Greatest Show on Turf. Big props to Jerry for getting Garrett in here, despite the complaints and accusations.

You know, I haven't seen any of those guys who I label primarily as JJ haters come forward and say that JJ knew what he was doing. I would expect them to say he just got lucky.

Maybe they did admit it and I just didn't see it, but I saw a lot of them criticize him. I haven't seen any of them man up and admit they were wrong.

J-DOG

Reaction score
I don't see ESPN on thier high horse talking about how you shouldn't hire the offensive coordinator before the head coach now.
That was such a lazy reporting effort by saying that. If they had done thier homework they would have realized that Jerry has been trying to get Jason for years and when he finally got the chance he was going to do it.
Schlereth-wrong.
Golic-wrong.
Greenberg-wrong.
Tom Jackson-wrong.
I seem to remember that the new Pittsburgh head coach had a requirement of taking the defensive coordinator Lebaeu before he was offered the job.
Not a peep about that from ESPN.
All ESPN does is go off the pre-concieved notions about Jerry Jones and criticize him for anything they can. It is a double standard for sure.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
The most important fact is that each QB had awesome receivers.

Warner/Bulger = Bruce, Holt and Faulk
Marino = Clayton and Duper
Manning = Harrison and Faulk
Culpepper = Moss and Carter
Romo = Owens and Glenn

Edit: And 5 out of 6 came during an era when you sneezed on the WR and a flag was thrown on the defense.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1675931 said:
The most important fact is that each QB had awesome receivers.

Warner/Bulger = Bruce, Holt and Faulk
Marino = Clayton and Duper
Manning = Harrison and Faulk
Culpepper = Moss and Carter
Romo = Owens and Glenn

Edit: And 5 out of 6 came during an era when you sneezed on the WR and a flag was thrown on the defense.

I agree, but not all great QBs that had great receivers made it that quickly. Montana with Rice, Taylor and Clark didn't do it and they got more breaks from the officials that anyone during that era.

pgreptom

Reaction score
Considering I don't think we'll pass for 499 yards in the next game - he will only tie that record.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1675909 said:
OUR BEST QB EVER:

Tony ROMO!
Let's win a couple of Super Bowls before we go that route CC. Remember Danny White (which I'm still a fan of) put up monster numbers his first 3 years, but we never went to the big dance.

I believe Romo may possibly hit 4000 this year alone if he keeps it up. But he will need huge games on teams with soft secondaries, and I already have this suspicion that Garrett isn't going to let up on the throttle offensively anytime soon.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1675931 said:
And this latest era has blitz schemes and zone blitzes the previous era has never seen. ;)

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
wastedfluid;1675961 said:
Considering I don't think we'll pass for 499 yards in the next game - he will only tie that record.
Even if he doesn't tie it (let's say it takes him 16 starts like it did Marino), it would still be a huge achievement because he has done it without a lot of dumpoffs resulting in yards after the catch.

Very little of Romo's yardage has come after the catch. He actually had the lowest percentage of YAC yardage among all QB's last season. A good % of YAC results from RB receptions. The five QB's on this list averaged 81 completions to RB's in the season when they made most of their first 16 starts.

In his 13 starts, Romo has only completed 31 passes to running backs. (That projects to 38 over 16 games, or less than half of what the other QB's averaged.) Here are the number of RB receptions for each QB over the season in which that QB made most of his first 16 starts:

1. Warner 110
1. Bulger 68
3. Marino 75
4. PManning 101
4. Culpepper 51

Interesting to note, Marshall Faulk was personally responsible for 218 catches and 2,246 receiving yards for three of the guys on this list. Faulk had 86 receptions during Manning's first 16 starts, than added another 87 in Warner's first 16. He added another 45 catches for Bulger in 2003.

Take the effect of Faulk's YAC under consideration and Romo's accomplishment is that much more impressive.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
percyhoward;1675977 said:
Even if he doesn't tie it (let's say it takes him 16 starts like it did Marino), it would still be a huge achievement because he has done it without a lot of dumpoffs resulting in yards after the catch.

Very little of Romo's yardage has come after the catch. He actually had the lowest percentage of YAC yardage among all QB's last season. A good % of YAC results from RB receptions. The five QB's on this list averaged 81 completions to RB's in the season when they made most of their first 16 starts.

In his 13 starts, Romo has only completed 31 passes to running backs. (That projects to 38 over 16 games, or less than half of what the other QB's averaged.) Here are the number of RB receptions for each QB over the season in which that QB made most of his first 16 starts:

1. Warner 110
1. Bulger 68
3. Marino 75
4. PManning 101
4. Culpepper 51

Interesting to note, Marshall Faulk was personally responsible for 218 catches and 2,246 receiving yards for three of the guys on this list. Faulk had 86 receptions during Manning's first 16 starts, than added another 87 in Warner's first 16. He added another 45 catches for Bulger in 2003.

Take the effect of Faulk's YAC under consideration and Romo's accomplishment is that much more impressive.
You my friend, are a genius.:star:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Ironically I believe Bledsoe was fastest to 10,000 yards.....

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Nors;1676036 said:
Ironically I believe Bledsoe was fastest to 10,000 yards.....
Warner supplanted him, reaching 10,000 in 35 starts.

It's that Faulk factor again.

JPostSam

Reaction score
percyhoward;1676058 said:
Warner supplanted him, reaching 10,000 in 35 starts.

It's that Faulk factor again.

just a reminder that dallas shouldn't be shy with the screen pass. both our rb's have made decent gains with it so far this year. i'm willing to bet there'll be some good yardage in that all year long.

BTW, part of the reason that marino passed so much was that miami's running game was entirely forgettable.

BTW part II: if romo throws for only 2,500 yards on the season, but tosses 40 TDs, i'll be much happier than if he throws for 4,000 yards and 20 TDs.

:)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

1. Warner 110
1. Bulger 68
3. Marino 75
4. PManning 101
4. Culpepper 51

Terrific research.

Great post.

What people have to understand (and you do... along with a few others) is that we are potentially watching NFL history.

It truly is amazing. And I don't think Cowboy fans (in general) appreciate what Romo & co. are doing.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JPostSam;1676077 said:
just a reminder that dallas shouldn't be shy with the screen pass. both our rb's have made decent gains with it so far this year. i'm willing to bet there'll be some good yardage in that all year long.

BTW, part of the reason that marino passed so much was that miami's running game was entirely forgettable.

BTW part II: if romo throws for only 2,500 yards on the season, but tosses 40 TDs, i'll be much happier than if he throws for 4,000 yards and 20 TDs.

:)

The statement about Marino is partially accurate. Yeah, Miami's running game was forgettable BUT Marino so elevated their passing game that the running game wasn't that critical.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

1. Warner 110
1. Bulger 68
3. Marino 75
4. PManning 101
4. Culpepper 51

Nice ..... This is what I like to see ..... someone doing some research.