Romo and the Cleveland Pick

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
The more I think about the extra pick we got for trading down to the 2nd, the more I like it. JJ was able to show he is 100% behind Romo this year which will let Romo play knowing this is his team. We will get 1 more year to watch Romo develop and if he proves he is the man, we pick a stud RB or WR to give him more weapons.

If he does not play well enough next season (I really hope the kid does) then we are sitting with a pick that would allow us to get a stud QB next year. By getting the early pick next year JJ can have his cake and eat it too. Pretty good place to be honestly.

BLT

Reaction score
i love having 2 1st rounders next because lets say JJ and Romo leave or just dont prove to be the "Guys" then next years 1st rounders could be RB,QB and WR in the 2nd... god knows id rather have our guys pan out but we got our selves covered if they dont... Defense has lots of 1st rounders.. so i doubt wed be using our 1st 3 picks on defense.. maybe DT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;1481447 said:
The more I think about the extra pick we got for trading down to the 2nd, the more I like it. JJ was able to show he is 100% behind Romo this year which will let Romo play knowing this is his team. We will get 1 more year to watch Romo develop and if he proves he is the man, we pick a stud RB or WR to give him more weapons.

If he does not play well enough next season (I really hope the kid does) then we are sitting with a pick that would allow us to get a stud QB next year. By getting the early pick next year JJ can have his cake and eat it too. Pretty good place to be honestly.

I do agree that not taking Quinn showed the Cowboys have confidence in Romo. I think Romo showed a lot considering it was his 1st season as a starter and there is no reason to think he will not improve as a player.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I have to say there was always this nagging little voice that said "what if he is a one year wonder?". Now we have a fall back plan and I love that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;1481473 said:
I have to say there was always this nagging little voice that said "what if he is a one year wonder?". Now we have a fall back plan and I love that.

What if Quinn is a bust? I have seen many highly touted QB drafted in the 1st rd that ended up costing teams big money yet never did a thing. Quinn performance in big games against USC, OSU and LSU I think hurt him in the eyes of many around the NFL. I think Romo with the year of experiance under his belt will improve I think that is less of a risk than hoping Quinn turns out to be a great NFL QB

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
From what I've heard of Romo, I don't think Quinn would have rattled him much anyway. Apparently he has had the confidence to be a starter since he arrived as an UDFA.

And even then, he would be able to go somewhere as a starter in 2008, since we have him for 1 more season.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
trickblue;1481509 said:
One word...

Darren McFadden...

Ya better hope the Raiders aren't the worste team in the NFL in 08 because if they are they will take him so fast...

Cowboys22

Reaction score
We are set up well for next year. Everyone screaming for drafting offense will get their wish bigtime next year. The defense will be pretty much set so I predict we go offense and more offense next year. If we don't have to trade up to get the guy we want, I'd expect to get 2 of the following 3 - QB, WR, RB.

fortdick

Reaction score
trickblue;1481509 said:
One word...

Darren McFadden...

Um, that is two. . .. never mind.

I hope you are correct. But I even hope more that JJ turns it loose this year. If JJ runs for 1600 yards, what will we do? Can you pass on a McFadden? What about MBIII? He has a lot of value. Trade him? Let JJ walk? Pay JJ big bucks based to keep him and run the risk it is a one year wonder thing? Look to WR and keep what we got? Is there a Calvin Johnson type receiver coming out next year? Get Joe Thomas (Robert Gallery?) type OT?

Too much to think about with that trade. Jerruh made my head hurt.

:abuseme:

sago1

Reaction score
With a high pick in 08 draft, we will have the opportunity to grab the playmaker we desperately need on this team -- whether that be a RB or a WR. I've never never seen McFadden play, so maybe he's the man or maybe we get a great WR to replace the soon departing TO or Glenn. I'd love to get the best WR possible but it's more likely we get the best RB available in the 08 draft. Will be real interesting to see how these projected mocks change later in the year.

fortdick

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1481513 said:
Ya better hope the Raiders aren't the worste team in the NFL in 08 because if they are they will take him so fast...

The Raiders ar ethe only team that gets worse during rebuilding. I expect them to be near the bottom again.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
fortdick;1481556 said:
The Raiders ar ethe only team that gets worse during rebuilding. I expect them to be near the bottom again.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Bush will be a stud and they won't need another RB? Look at their roster. Right now they have 11 RBs, It's crazy because they are all junk IMO. Jordan and Rhodes?? They are gonna stink.

fortdick

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1481574 said:
Maybe we'll get lucky and Bush will be a stud and they won't need another RB? Look at their roster. Right now they have 11 RBs, It's crazy because they are all junk IMO. Jordan and Rhodes?? They are gonna stink.

Let's hope the Browns stink worse. While they improved their line, and Quinn will prolly be the real deal, I think they will struggle next year, between a rookie QB and the strength of schedule.

We could end up #1 one all!

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;1481447 said:

Agreed......we have options. ;)

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
OK I will swim against the tide for a bit. We have two first round picks next year. We still have problems in both the offence and defence. McFadden might be a choice but what if one of our RBs jumps out this year. If we passed on Quinn because we have faith in Romo(I do BTW) then maybe we can look at more than a RB. WR and a FS, NT and a FS, 2 WRs, a left offensive tackle that could start?

Lets not put all our eggs in one basket quite yet. No telling who will be available next year at this point and no telling what our needs will be. I am not all that sure our team is set in stone and we will only be looking at that one more body that will put us over the top.