Romo dealt with it and now Dak is dealing with it

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
If you hold a team to 12 should you not be able to score more? And time of possesion for the Saints was 36 minutes not near 40

The defense did some bending but not breaking in that game. Yes, they held the Saints to field goal tries. But, I had a bad feeling that if they keep on playing bend but not break, then it would come back to bite them against better offenses and better QBs. Which has been the case against the Packers and Vikings. Who had the offense to make the defense pay for not getting turnovers or making them punt the ball before they got into field goal range.

In the game against the Saints the offense could have done more. In the games against the Packers the offense should have gotten it going sooner, yet the defense was allowing Aaron Jones to run all over them. In the game against the Vikings when the offense took the lead with their 3rd TD. The defense allows the Vikings to drive down the field a score to take back the lead.

The defense has to do better against better teams and offenses and the bend but don't break scheme isn't working. That scheme combined with the defenses lack of being able to stop the run at times, is what prevents them from being a truly great defense when it matters the most.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I just hope and it finally feels that it's the last year of "it". This coaching staff mainly the HC has lost way too many close 4th quarter/last drive games. We have lost every way you could possibly lose a game under him. Freezing his own kicker, poor clock management, not having the balls to close out a game (at NE last time, why give Brady the ball back with a terrible defense), not knowing when to sit on a lead (Detroit game all he had to do was run), the Jets opener in 11 was horrible, losing 3 straight win or go home games in consecutive seasons against all 3 division rivals was pathetic and enough for his job to have been gone then. So many other head spinners that he's done in loses and even done in wins at the end of the game that we forget just because of the outcome. It's one thing if we lose because a guy on the other team just made a play and our guy didn't, it's another thing when our guys aren't prepared and our poor clock management.
Now he froze our punt returner, or the worst assistant on this team not named Rod put the order in and he didn't override. And for those that will defend and say how would he know, if Im the head coach I go over to the special teams coach and say, hey lets go all out for the block or hey, lets set up for a big return. No matter what that ball doesn't touch the turf to kill time off our clock, OK! I never heard and don't understand the hey, lets save 3-4 seconds by not returning the punt. This way we can run a 5 yard out that will take 5 seconds. I mean really, how does that make any sense?
I just don't want to see Daks years wasted like we did with Romo. It was pretty sad to see. Team needs a guy who can lead and close out games, not cave when it's the ending. No more learning process, get ahead of the curve and always be prepared for anything. That's what the good ones do. Bill adds 2-3 wins a year in NE on coaching alone, Garrett takes 2-3 a year away on coaching. Thats the difference between an 8-8, 9-7 record that misses the playoffs and a 12-4 record that gets a first round bye.
Excellent post...you hit it in Spades. Romo lost Super Bowl chances and Hall of Fame opportunities because of Garrett AND "Jones"! It would be epic sad if Dak repeats this horrible episode . And for those who don't agree with the Jones part? Even he admitted he squandered Romo's career.

Chill35

Reaction score
I just hope and it finally feels that it's the last year of "it". This coaching staff mainly the HC has lost way too many close 4th quarter/last drive games. We have lost every way you could possibly lose a game under him.

You have entirely nailed it. Coaching Football appears to have a steep learning curve for Jason Garrett. He learns everything the hard way over and over while our hapless team loses because of his mistakes. And then our opponents know exactly what he is going to do after losing a game because of his stupidity. He becomes predictable even when he does the opposite the next time! Like not going for it on 4th down and catching heat, and then going for it everytime after that. Then like today passing on every first down after screwing up the game last week.

starfan1

Reaction score
If you hold a team to 12 should you not be able to score more? And time of possesion for the Saints was 36 minutes not near 40
So if you’re talking hypothetical agreed perhaps having a conversation with zeke and Witten as well because those 14 pts make it 26. That’s if you’re talking hypothetically here

starfan1

Reaction score
Romo basically ran the offense as he saw fit and changed the plays regularly. Jones and Garret wasted a top 5 quarterback in his prime during those years.

Never built an oline to protect Romo till it was to late and also had to carry some of they worse cowboy defenses bar a year or two. If it wasn't for romo they would have been a **** show.

Dak and the cowboys currently have one of they most talented teams(on paper) in the league. No reason this team should not go deep into the playoffs every year with decent coaching. Jerry is also a major factor as he is not like most GMs

this is the BS narrative that has continued to be pumped out of forums for the last 15 years. Romo didnt carry this team he had help.

stats tell a different story. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2014

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/opp.htm

Now our passing defense jhas always been suspect ill give you that but in years where we had a shot we were middle of the road or better

rushing has always been respectable as during most of Tonys years they had a 2 back system.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2005/rushing.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2014.htm if you look at how many pro bowlers the cowboys have had its astounding. Now if you want to argue name recognition or pro bowls area farce then i wont argue that much. but this business that it was all or mostly Romo was and is garbage.

I definitely can get on board with the common denominator of the problem being Jones and Garrett but players also have to execute so they share some blame here. Since we cant get a new GM I do support the new coach at this point

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
Romo basically ran the offense as he saw fit and changed the plays regularly. Jones and Garret wasted a top 5 quarterback in his prime during those years.

Never built an oline to protect Romo till it was to late and also had to carry some of they worse cowboy defenses bar a year or two. If it wasn't for romo they would have been a **** show.

Dak and the cowboys currently have one of they most talented teams(on paper) in the league. No reason this team should not go deep into the playoffs every year with decent coaching. Jerry is also a major factor as he is not like most GMs
Most GM's are held accountable because at some point if they screw up enough they will get fired, not here.