Romo End Zone Fumble; Is it his fault...

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
I know this is going to be totally knit picking, but hear me out.

A friend of mine works for the Arizona Cardinals, and he told me that the balls used for kick-offs and punts, are not used to throw.

I remember hearing one of the announcers saying the ref placed the kicking ball on the line of scrimmage instead of switching it out with one of the "ball boys" on the sideline.

The throwing balls are brushed heavily to make them "sticky" and kicking balls are not so they bounce, and roll more on turf.

I know this is totally knit picking, but if it was a slippery ball, that could explain the butter fingers on that play.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
what we can't explain is why Romo simply didn't just kick it out of bounds instead of trying to pick it up

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2263733 said:
what we can't explain is why Romo simply didn't just kick it out of bounds instead of trying to pick it up

Yep. Fumbles are going to happen but he's got to kick that out the back or fall on it and take a safety rather than give up a TD.

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2263733 said:

Will totally agree on that. I think he wanted to repeat the longest first down of his career again!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
So Romo was supposed to kick it?

It wasn't a kicking ball that he fumbled last night.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
Yeah that fumble was on him. He took blame for it already.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2263736 said:
Yep. Fumbles are going to happen but he's got to kick that out the back or fall on it and take a safety rather than give up a TD.

Of course, if he does that, someone's going to argue "He had enough time to pick it up and throw it. What is he doing just giving away 2 points?!?!"

You just don't win either way because second-guessing isn't subject to logic or reality.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
I don't think we need this thread to tell us.

We all know that was on Romo and Romo knows this as well.

Your not telling anyone anything new.

dest

Reaction score
I don't know, with how much our defese was giving up at that point in the game, taking the 7 points and getting the ball back, was probably better than giving the eagles 2 points and the ball, where they would have probably gone right down and scored again.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have a problem with Romo trying to make a play, but he was TOTALLY CARELESS with the ball. You have to at least protect the ball while trying to make something happen. That aspect of his game will improve.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BigDinAZ;2263723 said:
I know this is going to be totally knit picking, but hear me out.

A friend of mine works for the Arizona Cardinals, and he told me that the balls used for kick-offs and punts, are not used to throw.

I remember hearing one of the announcers saying the ref placed the kicking ball on the line of scrimmage instead of switching it out with one of the "ball boys" on the sideline.

The throwing balls are brushed heavily to make them "sticky" and kicking balls are not so they bounce, and roll more on turf.

I know this is totally knit picking, but if it was a slippery ball, that could explain the butter fingers on that play.

Romo said it was his fault and when asked at the end what he was thinking when it happened he laughed and said I sucked.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
dest;2263777 said:
I don't know, with how much our defese was giving up at that point in the game, taking the 7 points and getting the ball back, was probably better than giving the eagles 2 points and the ball, where they would have probably gone right down and scored again.

I agree. I'm glad he gave up the seven because the Eagles would have got the ball back in good field position, and our defense hadn't found its stride yet.

Normally, you'd want your guy to take the safety, but not during that first half.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't expect Romo to change his gun slinging ways of trying to make plays but one thing is Romo does not dwell on these things he moves on and come right back at you and that is what will make him a great QB. People love to talk about Staubach yet he would do many of these same things with fumbles or a poor throw but Roger never got down he got back up and came right back at you and because of that the team knew as long as Roger was in the game we have a chance to come back. I don't know about the rest of you but that is the feeling I get with Romo. No matter how the game is going as long as Romo is back there I feel he can turn things around.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I'm okay with an easy Eagles TD on that play. A safety gives the Eagles 2 points, but then they get the ball back on a free kick and a short field, where they could have scored a TD on top of the safety.

7 points is better than 9. Just my 2 cents.

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
Again, I know this was totally knit picking, and I know Romo would never make an excuse. It is what it is, and we still got a W!

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I'm not so much pissed off at his effort to pick it up and get rid of it. I have confidence he can take a busted play and somehow save us.

It didn't work. It cost us a TD. Whatever.

I am just pissed he fumbled a routine handoff near the endzone.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2263822 said:
I don't expect Romo to change his gun slinging ways of trying to make plays but one thing is Romo does not dwell on these things he moves on and come right back at you and that is what will make him a great QB. People love to talk about Staubach yet he would do many of these same things with fumbles or a poor throw but Roger never got down he got back up and came right back at you and because of that the team knew as long as Roger was in the game we have a chance to come back. I don't know about the rest of you but that is the feeling I get with Romo. No matter how the game is going as long as Romo is back there I feel he can turn things around.

So true, the Bills game last year is a perfect example of it.

IN TONY WE TRUST to be labelled on America's bills in the future......;)