Romo is the highest rated passer of all-time!

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I was looking at Romo's career stats and saw that he has a 97.8 career passer rating and I thought that would put him very near the top all-time. So I checked the HoF site as they update their stats each week and he wasn't listed because he hasn't met the minimum attempt requirement (1500 I believe). Then I checked the Pro-Football-Reference.com site and sure enough, there he is at the top of the list. #1 all-time in career passer rating!!!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

Now of course I realize that he has only played two and half seasons but still, that is amazing! Other QBs like Philip Rivers (who leads the league right now) has played about the same number of games (and for a very good team) but he is ranked 8th.

Just thought I'd pass along some GOOD news about Romo. :starspin

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Good news. He'll stay around that area as long as he has the right environment, IMO.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
THUMPER;2338049 said:
I was looking at Romo's career stats and saw that he has a 97.8 career passer rating and I thought that would put him very near the top all-time. So I checked the HoF site as they update their stats each week and he wasn't listed because he hasn't met the minimum attempt requirement (1500 I believe). Then I checked the Pro-Football-Reference.com site and sure enough, there he is at the top of the list. #1 all-time in career passer rating!!!

Now of course I realize that he has only played two and half seasons but still, that is amazing! Other QBs like Philip Rivers (who leads the league right now) has played about the same number of games (and for a very good team) but he is ranked 8th.

WoW. How many SuperBowl Trophies do we get for this accomplishment ? 5, 6 ?

See i do understand what you want to say but there is one thing i am consistent with romo and that is "stats mean nothing".

Thanos68

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;2338049 said:

He is also probably the highest rated turnover machine as well...Guess they kind of cancel out which would make him Average at best.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
TwentyOne;2338102 said:
WoW. How many SuperBowl Trophies do we get for this accomplishment ? 5, 6 ?

See i do understand what you want to say but there is one thing i am consistent with romo and that is "stats mean nothing".

It means plenty to a statistician

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Thanos68;2338125 said:
He is also probably the highest rated turnover machine as well.

Probably? How could any other QB you want to call a "turnover machine" be higher rated than the highest-rated QB? Nobody is rated higher, turnover machine or not.

Guess they kind of cancel out which would make him Average at best.

You think Romo is average at best? I'm certain that every single NFL coach, GM and scout disagrees with you.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Actually, to have such a high rating that would mean the positive out weigh the negative by a wide margin. It's not rocket science. I do want him to cut down on the turnovers just like everyone else, but i'm happy to have him as our Qb.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2338144 said:
Probably? How could any other QB you want to call a "turnover machine" be higher rated than the highest-rated QB?

looking at the equation for quaterback ratings that theoratically very easy.

when you look at the formular you will see that it is based on 4 indepentend terms each resulting in a value between zero and 2,375.

i don't want to go into detail but the term for interceptions is (2,375 - INTS/ATTMPT * 25). The "break even" point is (means where this term is going against 0) a INT/ATT ratio of

INT/ATT = 2,375/25 = 1/10,5

That means if a Quaterback throws a INT every tenth attempt this term will go against 0 and he gets no points out of it. Still with no points from that term he could have a Quaterback rating of:

3*2,375*100/6 = 118.

so basically it doesn't matter if you are a turnover machine. you can still be the highest rated QB by a wide margin.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2338134 said:
It means plenty to a statistician

as long as they stay with their profession and don't start playing football i am fine with that ;)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TwentyOne;2338237 said:
looking at the equation for quaterback ratings that theoratically very easy.

when you look at the formular you will see that it is based on 4 indepentend terms each resulting in a value between zero and 2,375.

i don't want to go into detail but the term for interceptions is (2,375 - INTS/ATTMPT * 25). The "break even" point is (means where this term is going against 0) a INT/ATT ratio of

INT/ATT = 2,375/25 = 1/10,5

That means if a Quaterback throws a INT every tenth attempt this term will go against 0 and he gets no points of it. Still with no points from that term he could have a Quaterback rating of:

3*2,375*100/6 = 118.

so basically said it doesn't matter if you are a turnover machine. you can still be the highest rated QB by a wide margin.

You misunderstood my comment. If Romo is the highest-rated QB of all-time, then he is rated higher than any other QB, whether they are a "turnover machine" or not. So there is no "probably" about Romo being the highest-rated "turnover machine," if someone wants to call him that. He's also the highest-rated right-hander, the highest-rated undrafted QB, the highest-rated "gunslinger," etc.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2338261 said:
You misunderstood my comment. If Romo is the highest-rated QB of all-time, then he is rated higher than any other QB, whether they are a "turnover machine" or not. So there is no "probably" about Romo being the highest-rated "turnover machine," if someone wants to call him that. He's also the highest-rated right-hander, the highest-rated undrafted QB, the highest-rated "gunslinger," etc.

ah ok. got you now.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
fiveandcounting;2338493 said:
true but passer rating doesnt include fumbles, just ints

It doesn't include wins and losses either. Romo is a winner.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Johnny Unitas is the greatest QB ever. He lost a few big games as well. If Romo has a subpar outing in 'enough' "big" games then he'll be thought of not as well.

Aikman who was a big game QB bigtime thinks he'll win plenty of big games and SBs.

The mentality of the mob is disheartening to say the least.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Thanos68;2342585 said:
yeah..except when it counts..

i wish people would get off Romo about the Giants game. Yes he lost his cool a bit in the second half....but he made some very nice passes all game long that TO, Crayton, Hurd, Fasano all dropped. I guess it was his fault too that Reeves let Steve Smith use him like a tampon right before the half and discarded him on the Texas Stadium turf all soiled and bloody. I guess it's Romo's fault that the OL opened no running lanes in the 2nd half, nor were they very successful at pass protection. Yes Romo lost his cool a bit and showed some frustration, but when he made the throws, his teammates dropped them or stopped running on the play.

As far as Seattle goes.....I am sorry but that was the greasiest, slickest, shiniest ball I have ever seen. I have never seen before or since a ball such as the one that they gave Romo to hold. There were other plays in that game that went against us as well...such as the Glenn fumble into the end zone for a safety.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Biggems;2342690 said:
i wish people would get off Romo about the Giants game. Yes he lost his cool a bit in the second half....but he made some very nice passes all game long that TO, Crayton, Hurd, Fasano all dropped. I guess it was his fault too that Reeves let Steve Smith use him like a tampon right before the half and discarded him on the Texas Stadium turf all soiled and bloody. I guess it's Romo's fault that the OL opened no running lanes in the 2nd half, nor were they very successful at pass protection. Yes Romo lost his cool a bit and showed some frustration, but when he made the throws, his teammates dropped them or stopped running on the play.

As far as Seattle goes.....I am sorry but that was the greasiest, slickest, shiniest ball I have ever seen. I have never seen before or since a ball such as the one that they gave Romo to hold. There were other plays in that game that went against us as well...such as the Glenn fumble into the end zone for a safety.

I'm still miffed about that damned ball. You could see the stuff on it. Even blind me.