Romo or Brees

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
Keep in mind that football is a team sport. Thus, Brees may have more playoff wins, yet it doesn't automatically= " Better".

In their prime, who would you rather have? Furthermore, who was better in your opinion?
As a romosexual def Brees. I've never seen such a short dude throw such an accurate ball. Was a huge fan of him in San Diego and was flabbergasted when they let him go

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
As a romosexual def Brees. I've never seen such a short dude throw such an accurate ball. Was a huge fan of him in San Diego and was flabbergasted when they let him go
That's actually a solid point, I'm sure his O line's weren't garbage and they helped him with passing lanes but there is something to be said with having the ability to be so successful being shorter. Brees throws a damn good ball, still!
And in some ways I still rather watch Romo in his prime. Just fun to watch but it could also be that my focus wasn't always on N.O.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
This is an interesting question for me. I wanted Brees when he was on the market and ended up in NO. All we had at the time was an undrafted QB that had shown some flashes. If you are asking who the better QB is/was, I would take Romo. As a pure QB, he was one of the best I have ever watched play the game, great instincts, great pocket awareness, could read a D as good as anyone ever to play the game, lighting quick release and better than average arm. But if you are asking regarding who career is better, that is Brees. If I was building a team and I had to pick between a 2008 Romo and a 2008 Brees, I think I would take Romo. But it's very close.
Spot on, great post

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I'll take the HOF shoe in... Brees. Better over more years, more durable, a record setting QB, and I'm not sure about this but, had fewer pro-bowlers around him while he he made all those records. As you said it is a team sport.

I don't think that Brees had better teams around him, IMO the talent each had around him was about equal. Brees and the Saints hit lightning in a bottle one year. And I agree, playoff wins does not = better. II'm curious to see how Romo-led teams would have performed with Payton as HC. That's purely food for thought tho
The one thing that Brees did have that Romo didn't was a better coach.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
That's actually a solid point, I'm sure his O line's weren't garbage and they helped him with passing lanes but there is something to be said with having the ability to be so successful being shorter. Brees throws a damn good ball, still!
And in some ways I still rather watch Romo in his prime. Just fun to watch but it could also be that my focus wasn't always on N.O.
NO was always my secondary team I rooted for when they Cowboys were out. So I always paid more attention to them than any other team aside from the cowboys. Did you catch any of his accuracy competition videos on YouTube? The dude is so accurate.
You are right though. Romo was so much fun to watch!! I loved him as our QB. The way he could get out of a rush was like no other I've seen. He was a baller and a tough competitor. It was so sad to see him go the way he did.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
NO was always my secondary team I rooted for when they Cowboys were out. So I always paid more attention to them than any other team aside from the cowboys. Did you catch any of his accuracy competition videos on YouTube? The dude is so accurate.
You are right though. Romo was so much fun to watch!! I loved him as our QB. The way he could get out of a rush was like no other I've seen. He was a baller and a tough competitor. It was so sad to see him go the way he did.
No kidding. Typically it's frowned upon to cheer for a secondary team. But I can relate. I live near Buffalo and my profession chokes me into following the Bills to some degree.

Dude, Romo was freaking Houdini. And that doesn't include his character. Same with Brees. Good people. I love the underdog.

Same reason I support the new guy. He's a classy dude, puts in work and I enjoy watching him play.
If Dak has a fraction of the career Romo did I'll be happy.

I always go back to the eras between the Dodger and White, Aikman and Romo...... There were some rough years. Lets hope Prescott is a legit QB for years. He's an underdog as a 4th rounder. Although, Romo not being drafted burns backsides that he didn't get a ring. And I get that.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
No kidding. Typically it's frowned upon to cheer for a secondary team. But I can relate. I live near Buffalo and my profession chokes me into following the Bills to some degree.

Dude, Romo was freaking Houdini. And that doesn't include his character. Same with Brees. Good people. I love the underdog.

Same reason I support the new guy. He's a classy dude, puts in work and I enjoy watching him play.
If Dak has a fraction of the career Romo did I'll be happy.

I always go back to the eras between the Dodger and White, Aikman and Romo...... There were some rough years. Lets hope Prescott is a legit QB for years. He's an underdog as a 4th rounder. Although, Romo not being drafted burns backsides that he didn't get a ring. And I get that.
Dak has all the makings of a leader. His character alone is perfect for it. Now that we have gone in a youth movement I think it will elevate him. This really is HIS team now. The old guard has passed.

Reactions: G2

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
The one thing that Brees did have that Romo didn't was a better coach.

Yep that's why I added that I would like to have seen what Romo would have done with Payton as coach. Payton is responsible for Romo's early development while Wilson went to Detroit as a QB coach. IMO, Wilson should have stayed there and Payton should have stayed here but Payton got a chance to be a HC and grabbed it. Good for him, bad for us. Good with the bad

pansophy

Reaction score
He got it done at the highest level when his pass attempts were at their lowest level of his Saints career. Less Brees is more, apparently.
That just means having more support from the running helps the QB and the offense. No surprise there. Romo had his best QBR season of his career and in the league when Murray was the leading rusher.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Yep, Romo had fewer attempts that year, fewer interceptions and somewhere around 3700 yards passing. Very similar to Daks in his 1'st year. Romo's best year in the NFL and I'm pretty confident that 2016 won't be Daks best in his career. Ask me in 10-12 years.
First it wasn’t Romo’s best year. Second Romo’s 2014 was way better than Dak’s 2016. Despite throwing the ball 24 less times, he had 11 more touchdowns passes, had a QB rating nearly 10 points higher and led the league in just about every major passing category. Dak did none of that.
I’m pretty sure that 2016 is going to be far and away by a mile Dak’s best year. We might not see anyone ever do the 400 passes/4 interceptions thing again.
http://pfref.com/tiny/ANdW2

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
First it wasn’t Romo’s best year. Second Romo’s 2014 was way better than Dak’s 2016. Despite throwing the ball 24 less times, he had 11 more touchdowns passes, had a QB rating nearly 10 points higher and led the league in just about every major passing category. Dak did none of that.
I’m pretty sure that 2016 is going to be far and away by a mile Dak’s best year. We might not see anyone ever do the 400 passes/4 interceptions thing again.
http://pfref.com/tiny/ANdW2

You're right on one point probably... the 400 passes and 4 interceptions. The rest is just a Romo versus Dak debate and we've done that to death. My hope, Dak blows Romo's best out of the water. Why we all wouldn't want that is a complete mystery.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You're right on one point probably... the 400 passes and 4 interceptions. The rest is just a Romo versus Dak debate and we've done that to death. My hope, Dak blows Romo's best out of the water. Why we all wouldn't want that is a complete mystery.

No mystery. It's emotion. It's why people see things favorable to us that didn't happen and create conspiracy explanations for the negative things that did happen.

cej757

Reaction score
Definitely Brees. Romo was just too careless with the Football in big moments especially early in his career as the starter. I thought he matured later on his career but it was too late. The holding the ball like a loaf of bread while under pressure and the sack fumbles used to kill the team. I Really wish Romo would've had another two years with Parcells. He had way too much freedom under Wade and Garrett.