Romo / Quinn Debate

90'sBoys

Reaction score
I know that we all need some sort of controversy to keep us going until training camp starts. But this arguement is getting real old. Most think that Romo is the Franchise QB. The others think that Quinn is the answer and we missed a real opportunity by not drafting him.

I believe that both current schools of thought are flawed to this point.

Romo: Just because they did not select Quinn with the 22nd pick does NOT mean they are 100% behind Romo as the Franchise QB. What is says is two things:

#1. They are more content THIS YEAR with Romo, with what they have seen so far with him, more so than what they "might" get with Quinn this year. Romo gives the team more of a chance to win THIS year than Quinn would. Does that mean he is the "Franchise QB"......No. It means he is the starting QB this year. There is no way to tell what he will be based off of just 10 games last year. While he certainly started strong....he was trending in the other direction at the end of the season. I think most of us would be more encouraged if it was the other way around and he was trending up at the end of the year, rather than the first 5 games.

#2. Quinn was not rated any higher than the other second tier QBs. He is not a sure thing by any means. Neither is Russell for that matter. If the Cowboys had kept their second round #36 pick, I could certainly see them taking Kolb, Edwards, or Stanton at that point. Jerry said as much prior to the draft. Once they traded out of the second round there was no way they were taking the lower tier QBs (Palmer, Zebransky, etc.) They were not worth wasting a draft pick on. Moore is just as good, maybe a better prospect, and he didn't cost them a pick. They also felt insulated with two picks for next year if they need both QB and RB.

Romo will be the guy for this year. He will have to prove that he is the "Franchise QB". Up to this point he has proven himself a legitimate NFL starter, that is about it. I could give a rats *** about the passer ratings, or Pro Bowl. We all know that he was not a true Pro Bowl QB. If the vote was held after the season he would not have been selected, but he was voted in after a few of his first "hot" starts. I like Romo, but don't annoint him as the next Aikman because he had a few good starts last year. I know we are all QB starved here due to the lack of adequate QB play the last 7 years, but Romo has yet to really prove himself. When the organization steps up and locks him up with a multimillion dollar franchise QB salary, then you can deduce that he is the QB of the future and the organiztion is 100% behind him. Until then you can only feel or hope that he is. You know how impulsive Jerry is...if was really sold on Romo he would have thrown the money at him by now. Talk is cheap.....financial commitments are not.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
No debate, we have Romo who made the pro bowl in his first year as a starter why draft a QB in the first round, Quinn is more hype than Anything anyway...... GL to Quinn just no this year.......

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
90'sBoys;1487789 said:
I#1. They are more content THIS YEAR with Romo, with what they have seen so far with him, more so than what they "might" get with Quinn this year. Romo gives the team more of a chance to win THIS year than Quinn would. Does that mean he is the "Franchise QB"......No. It means he is the starting QB this year. There is no way to tell what he will be based off of just 10 games last year. While he certainly started strong....he was trending in the other direction at the end of the season. I think most of us would be more encouraged if it was the other way around and he was trending up at the end of the year, rather than the first 5 games.

I agree. I know the "faith" aspect was written about often, but I hope we aren't still as giddy now about him as we were last Thanksgiving. He did earn the right for this year, however. No question about that.

#2. Quinn was not rated any higher than the other second tier QBs. He is not a sure thing by any means. Neither is Russell for that matter. If the Cowboys had kept their second round #36 pick, I could certainly see them taking Kolb, Edwards, or Stanton at that point. Jerry said as much prior to the draft. Once they traded out of the second round there was no way they were taking the lower tier QBs (Palmer, Zebransky, etc.) They were not worth wasting a draft pick on. Moore is just as good, maybe a better prospect, and he didn't cost them a pick. They also felt insulated with two picks for next year if they need both QB and RB.

Another good point. We scouted Kolb and Stanton quite a bit.

Romo will be the guy for this year. He will have to prove that he is the "Franchise QB". Up to this point he has proven himself a legitimate NFL starter, that is about it. I could give a rats *** about the passer ratings, or Pro Bowl. We all know that he was not a true Pro Bowl QB. If the vote was held after the season he would not have been selected, but he was voted in after a few of his first "hot" starts. I like Romo, but don't annoint him as the next Aikman because he had a few good starts last year. I know we are all QB starved here due to the lack of adequate QB play the last 7 years, but Romo has yet to really prove himself. When the organization steps up and locks him up with a multimillion dollar franchise QB salary, then you can deduce that he is the QB of the future and the organiztion is 100% behind him. Until then you can only feel or hope that he is. You know how impulsive Jerry is...if was really sold on Romo he would have thrown the money at him by now. Talk is cheap.....financial commitments are not.

Excellent again.

I enjoy the way Jones is showing restraint. He will probably do very much like he did with James last year. By midseason, that should be adequate to determine what his value is.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know that he was not a true Pro Bowl QB. If the vote was held after the season he would not have been selected, but he was voted in after a few of his first "hot" starts. I like Romo, but don't annoint him as the next Aikman because he had a few good starts last year.

Speak for yourself, 90'sBoys. Overall, Romo's performance was Pro Bowl caliber compared to the other NFC QBs. And what else can you compare it to? He showed great leadership, an uncanny ability to find the open man and spread the ball around, and his accuracy was surprisingly good. He even displayed come-from-behind skills - - the passes to Witten at Wash and NY come to mind, not to mention rallying the troops late in losses to Detroit and Seattle. He was DEFINATELY Pro Bowl caliber in the NFC for the 2006 season.

As far as Aikman comparisons, he doesn't have to be Aikman and I'm not sure anybody said he was. I prefer that he be Tony Romo, whoever that is. The answer should come this season.

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
90'sBoys;1487789 said:
There is no way to tell what he will be based off of just 10 games last year. While he certainly started strong....he was trending in the other direction at the end of the season. I think most of us would be more encouraged if it was the other way around and he was trending up at the end of the year, rather than the first 5 games.

Romo's trending had more to do with our defense than it did with his own ability to play. I'd even venture to say most QBs would have struggled more given our porous defense the last quarter of the season. Romo has done more than enough to prove he deserves his spot. The guy is a gamer that always put his team in position to win despite his team's performance on the other side of the ball. There is no argument IMO.

BTW - welcome aboard!

adamknite

Reaction score
I don't understand why people feel the need to replace our QB after one season, which in case they haven't noticed, took him to the probowl and us to the playoffs. He atleast deserved to start one more year. Drafting a QB with first round pick is just going to put unneccasary pressure on him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
adamknite;1487860 said:
I don't understand why people feel the need to replace our QB after one season, which in case they haven't noticed, took him to the probowl and us to the playoffs. He atleast deserved to start one more year. Drafting a QB with first round pick is just going to put unneccasary pressure on him.

It is not about replacing him. It is about security and as Mister Jones said, looking a gift horse in the mouth and turning away. Whether you believe Quinn was the gift horse is another story.

Romo for all the glitz has yet to show he is dependable or consistent. Until he does that, I don't blame someone for being skeptical. I know his flaws are alarming enough to make me think.

It took forever to find even a potential franchise QB. Now you have the opportunity to draft one? Tough choice.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
When watching ROMO play the game last year, I could just feel as a fan of football that this is a QB which has the (we have heard a 1000 times) "IT" factor. It is hard to explain, but the guy is fun, exciting, smart, moxie and fearless .......I am on board.

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
Alexander;1487870 said:
It is not about replacing him. It is about security and as Mister Jones said, looking a gift horse in the mouth and turning away. Whether you believe Quinn was the gift horse is another story.

Romo for all the glitz has yet to show he is dependable or consistent. Until he does that, I don't blame someone for being skeptical. I know his flaws are alarming enough to make me think.

It took forever to find even a potential franchise QB. Now you have the opportunity to draft one? Tough choice.

Jerry made the right choice. How can you not say you'd rather have Tony and two 1sts next year, with one potentially in the top 10, rather than a less proven Quinn?

90'sBoys

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1487841 said:
Speak for yourself, 90'sBoys. Overall, Romo's performance was Pro Bowl caliber compared to the other NFC QBs. And what else can you compare it to? He showed great leadership, an uncanny ability to find the open man and spread the ball around, and his accuracy was surprisingly good. He even displayed come-from-behind skills - - the passes to Witten at Wash and NY come to mind, not to mention rallying the troops late in losses to Detroit and Seattle. He was DEFINATELY Pro Bowl caliber in the NFC for the 2006 season.

As far as Aikman comparisons, he doesn't have to be Aikman and I'm not sure anybody said he was. I prefer that he be Tony Romo, whoever that is. The answer should come this season.

You kill your own arguement. First of all: The NFC was very weak considering the Pro Bowl QB class. Mark Bulger? Drew Brees? These aren't top notch QBs by any stretch. The position is so watered down in the NFC it isn't even funny. Do you think Vince Young is a Pro Bowl QB now? No...but he made itin the AFC where the competition is much stiffer at QB.

Look the leadership is admirable...he did rally the troops, more so than Bleadsoe. But even that is not a fair comparison, Bleadsoe was a dud to say the least. But even the "moxy" Romo showed faded as he faced stiffer competiton. Yea he had a good game against Indianapolis....but the Texans beat them the next week as well. He had good games against Tampa, NY Giants, and the Commanders. Do you think any of them are legitimate contenders? The Giants were a mess by the end of the year fading faster than we did. Seattle backed into the playoffs and were an absolute disaster on defense. We should have torched them for 30 plus points. Romo was off all game until the end. The only reason we were even close was due to the kickoff return that kept us in the game. The Commanders....well they are the Commanders. The Detroit game should have been a blowout as well. Romo kept them into the game with all the turnovers.

No matter how much you want to dine on the Romo nut sack...the true test will be this year. How he will handle a change in the offense, how will he handle not having Parcells in his corner. I know most of you think he held Romo back, but if not for Parcells, Romo would never have seen the field.
How will he handle the doubt if he starts slow and has to deal with all of the inevitable talk by the media concerning the "muffed snap and lost confidence" from last year. That will be the true test.

adamknite

Reaction score
Alexander;1487870 said:

I don't blame anybody for being skeptical about Romo, but after a pro bowl year you have to give him another shot before you start thinking of replacements just in case. Drafting a first round pick for "insurance" isn't the best idea not when you feel the team has the potential to do things this year. Right now we have a pro bowl QB, that's a fact (agree with it or not, deserving or not, he's still a pro bowler). The Eagles drafting Kolb in the second round is "insurance" drafting Quinn int he first would be saying to Romo "we don't trust you" and would be putting more pressure on him then called for. Being the Leader of "America's Team" is pressure enough.

90'sBoys

Reaction score
adamknite;1487888 said:
I don't blame anybody for being skeptical about Romo, but after a pro bowl year you have to give him another shot before you start thinking of replacements just in case. Drafting a first round pick for "insurance" isn't the best idea not when you feel the team has the potential to do things this year. Right now we have a pro bowl QB, that's a fact (agree with it or not, deserving or not, he's still a pro bowler). The Eagles drafting Kolb in the second round is "insurance" drafting Quinn int he first would be saying to Romo "we don't trust you" and would be putting more pressure on him then called for. Being the Leader of "America's Team" is pressure enough.

There is the nail on the head concerning this arguement. We would have taken Kolb or Beck in the second, but they were gone by our pick. Quinn was never the guy they wanted regardless of where he was in the draft. The other two were. If Kolb or Beck would have been there at 53 they would be Cowboys and we would be having the same debates on this board that they are having in Philly. The brass are not completely sold on Romo. They like what they see in him. Take your own arguement to task....If you had a legitimate Pro Bowl QB, wouldn't you have locked him up to a long term contract by now? Why would you chance losing him to free agency next year or lose negotiating leverage by letting him have a monster season and then over pay for him next offseason. Is Jones that stupid?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
90'sBoys;1487904 said:
There is the nail on the head concerning this arguement. We would have taken Kolb or Beck in the second, but they were gone by our pick. Quinn was never the guy they wanted regardless of where he was in the draft. The other two were. If Kolb or Beck would have been there at 53 they would be Cowboys and we would be having the same debates on this board that they are having in Philly. The brass are not completely sold on Romo. They like what they see in him. Take your own arguement to task....If you had a legitimate Pro Bowl QB, wouldn't you have locked him up to a long term contract by now? Why would you chance losing him to free agency next year or lose negotiating leverage by letting him have a monster season and then over pay for him next offseason. Is Jones that stupid?

How do you know this? Jeff and Jerry said Quinn was the 8th best player on their draft board. Why would they take a lesser QB if they didn't believe in Romo when they had the opportunity to draft a better one? Unless you somehow know that Kolb or Beck was rated better than the 8th best player on their board, your conclusion doesn't make any sense.

adamknite

Reaction score
90'sBoys;1487904 said:

Of course they're not sold on him, not after only one year/10 games of starting experiance, Romo still has work to do. However, they are confident enough in him to say "we don't need a first round QB this year, so lets address other needs, and evaluate Romo fully this season". If he has another pro bowl year, I can guarentee Jones is going to sign him, long term. It's amazing how everybody complained about Jerry's rash decisions, and now that he's taking his time before shelling out the dough to Romo, everybody assumes Romo isn't our guy.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
If you had a legitimate Pro Bowl QB, wouldn't you have locked him up to a long term contract by now? Why would you chance losing him to free agency next year or lose negotiating leverage by letting him have a monster season and then over pay for him next offseason. Is Jones that stupid?

90s boys, They are already in talks with his agent. I would imagine the first week of camp he will have a large deal.

I dont understand most of your logic. Since when was kolb on our board that high? WHo told you that?

and for what its worth there is no debate here in Dallas, Romo is the guy. No reason to take his job. Do you think A new coach, a coach who lost his last head coaching position because of qb controversy wants to creat another one? I sure doubt it. He doesnt need another flutie johnson situation.

Romo had ups and downs. Every qb does. He has that gunslinger mentality, he is going to gamble and take chances, sometimes he will hit sometime he will miss.

I think he will be fine in garrets passing tree offense. Him and witten are already raving about it working out at the ranch everyday.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
If Romo was a day one pick people would have a different outlook on him.We'd never even consider replacing, or drafting another QB at this point. But he went undrafted and made some mistakes down the stretch when his D Might have been the wrost in the NFC in Dec. Jerry isn't that dumb. Romo will get plenty of time and as theebs said, probably a big new deal. As he should. He's not a rookie. He's a 5th year guy that we have to play out our hand with. For better or worse.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Quinn= 22nd overall pick
Romo= undrafted free agent

Qe have to see what Romo does this year. We will also have to see what Quinn does in the next 4 years because he will probably be thrust into the starting spot come week 5. Romo had 3+ years on the bench to get ready. Quinn will only have training camp and until the first 1/3 of the season.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;1487841 said:

:bow:

Even if you think Quinn might possibly be better than Romo....

Romo + Spencer + 1st round pick in '08 >>>>> Quinn

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After the first 22 picks last Saturday, I'm still puzzled why observers, after the fact, question whether or not we were going to pick Quinn. We weren't. At that point in the draft, the decision was Romo or bust.

Reaction score
Why are people still making thread about Romo VS Quinn, there is NO debate, Dallas has a young Pro Bowl QB who's only going to get better and well Cleveland can only hope Quinn turns into a solid QB... End of story!

Oh by the way thanks for the 2008 1st round pick suckas!