Romo Struggling Against the Blitz?

Everson24

Reaction score
Heading into the 2007 home game against Philly Tony Romo was second in passer rating only to Tom Brady when facing 5 or more rushers. What has happened since that game that Tony struggles to beat the blitz?

My thoughts are this: Teams used to be afraid of sending extra pass rushers at Romo because he was so good at escaping a free rusher and then find T.O. or Witten open on improvised routes (see last years Bears game).

I think Tony staying planted in the pocket ala Tom Brady has opposing defensive coordinators attacking the pocket like they did in the Bledsoe days. It's no wonder our OL has reverted back to 2005 form.

I hope this is one of the things Romo has noticed in his time off. With our current set of receivers if Tony can buy some extra time there should be big plays to be made all over the field.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think its opposite.

Teams who blitz Romo usually get killed.

The teams who drop everyone into zone coverage and make Romo have to check down are the teams who have success against him.

Teams love to run Cover 4 against him because it causes him to be patient.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think you need to go back and watch the Philly game this year. Romo forced Johnson into calling a much more conservative defensive gameplan because he beat their blitz a few times.

superpunk

Reaction score
Tony Romo's stats against the blitz this season.

33 of 55 for 432 yards. 7.86 YPA, 4 TDs, 1 INT. 101.5 QB rating.

He's been sacked twice.

What were we talking about again?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
superpunk;2415707 said:

He's been sacked twice.

Awesome. Where do you guys find stats like this? :)

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
superpunk;2415707 said:

He's been sacked twice.

What does Matt Moore do against the blitz?

/end thread

Temo

Reaction score
I hate this "Romo should play like Romo and not Brady" stuff that gets thrown around.

We've seen stats showing that he's taken fewer sacks this year, and has played better against the blitz. The only difference is that people don't see him doing those "houdini" escapes from blitzers... but that's because he doesn't get himself into trouble like that nearly as often.

It's the same reason that you don't see Brady or Manning even HAVE to do that kind of stuff often... because they move well IN the pocket and don't get themselves into trouble. Romo's got some of that this year. Steeler fans wish Roethlisberger would learn how to do that too.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
Romo is a 2 and a half year player.Give him a break,he still has a lot of room to improve.The more improvement for him,the better years for us!

MONT17

Reaction score
U cover Witten and Romo will have problems v the blitz! Why? Owens can't catch on a regular basis and Crayton takes too long to get open he is the King of the 4 yard Dbl move route! So Roy will have to step up! Romo will see a ton of blitzing and when he gets shaken he will run!

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
djdoug;2415737 said:
Romo is a 2 and a half year player.Give him a break,he still has a lot of room to improve.The more improvement for him,the better years for us!

No, he's not. He's a 2 1/2 year starter, not player.

He's a 5 1/2 year player. It's not like he's some young guy just learning the game. He knows the game

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
We will see how our line does with kosier back. we will see how important he really was. I think/hope we start to see some good chemistry and trust between Romo and RW before to long. Just throw it up there and give him a chance to make a play. Too me he is the biggest play making WR we have had in a long time. RW will start to be a blitz bail out before long.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2416081 said:
We will see how our line does with kosier back. we will see how important he really was. I think/hope we start to see some good chemistry and trust between Romo and RW before to long. Just throw it up there and give him a chance to make a play. Too me he is the biggest play making WR we have had in a long time. RW will start to be a blitz bail out before long.

Question about your sig/pic. Are you implying that the Longhorns are America's team as well? If so, you're mistaken.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2416097 said:
Question about your sig/pic. Are you implying that the Longhorns are America's team as well? If so, you're mistaken.
lol I liked how it plays out in the current situation.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Everson24;2415672 said:
Heading into the 2007 home game against Philly Tony Romo was second in passer rating only to Tom Brady when facing 5 or more rushers. What has happened since that game that Tony struggles to beat the blitz?

My thoughts are this: Teams used to be afraid of sending extra pass rushers at Romo because he was so good at escaping a free rusher and then find T.O. or Witten open on improvised routes (see last years Bears game).

I think Tony staying planted in the pocket ala Tom Brady has opposing defensive coordinators attacking the pocket like they did in the Bledsoe days. It's no wonder our OL has reverted back to 2005 form.

I hope this is one of the things Romo has noticed in his time off. With our current set of receivers if Tony can buy some extra time there should be big plays to be made all over the field.

If there is a good pocket, why shouldn't the QB stay planted in it? That is the point of a pocket. It is protection from the pass rush. That was the whole point of Romo studying Brady. If there is a good pocket formed he is staying in it and not drifting out of it into the pass rush. Last season he found himself drifting out of a good pocket and that led to sacks or rushed passes. If he had stayed in the pocket at those times he would have been able to get better passes off.

When there is not good pocket formed that is when Romo needs to scramble. We have seen him do that. He did it against Philly when he threw his interception. He did it against Green Bay when he hit Austin for a TD. There are several more examples. The guy is moving or trying to move when pressured. He is sitting still when there is no pressure.

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
CATCH17;2415674 said:
I think its opposite.

The teams who drop everyone into zone coverage and make Romo have to check down are the teams who have success against him.

That is how I see it!!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
superpunk;2415707 said:

He's been sacked twice.

Global cooling...................

jdnelson103

Reaction score
CATCH17;2415674 said:
I think its opposite.

I agree with you, but why doesn't he change to a running play when he sees the defense is playing that type of scheme? Everyone says he can check out of a running play when he sees eight men in the box, I would think this would be the perfect time to do the opposite.

I realize that teams can mask what they're going to play, but isn't that one of the reasons to put someone in motion? So you can see if they're playing man or zone?