Romo vs Campbell 1st 16 games

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Just for comparison's sake I thought I would run the numbers for Tony Romo and Jason Campbell for their first 16 starts and see how they compare...

Win/Loss:
TR 11-5
JC 7-9

Att/Comp/%:
TR 510/323/63.3%
JC 468/266/56.8%

Yards/Avg Att/Avg Comp:
TR 4348/8.53/13.46
JC 3032/6.48/11.4

TDs/TD%:
TR 31/6.1%
JC 21/4.5%

INTs/INT%:
TR 19/3.7%
JC 13/2.8%

Sacks/Sack%:
TR 27/5.3%
JC 21/4.5%

Fumbles/Lost:
TR 10/4
JC 10/5

Rushing Yards/TDs:
TR 170/2
JC 254/1

NFL QB Rating:
TR 95.1
JC 79.8

Current NFL Rank for 2007:
TR 3rd
JC 19th

Neither one was a rookie when they started their first game but one was a 1st round pick while the other went undrafted. In some areas Campbell compares very well or even better than Romo (INTs for instance) but overall he is far behind Romo in most categories.

To his credit, Campbell is very good at not making negative plays (INTs, Sacks, & Fumbles), on the other hand he doesn't make a lot of big plays either because he doesn't take many chances.

Romo is known for his deep passing which is a much higher risk but it also has a better chance of scoring or making a big play. His average per attempt is a full 2 yards higher than Campbell's!

Romo IS the reason why the Cowboys have gone 14-5 since he took over (and 8-1 this year) because we weren't that good with Bledsoe at the helm.

I crack up when I hear from Commanders fans how great Campbell is and how much they hate Tony Romo and how overrated he is. What games are they watching?

:lmao2:

I added up the negative plays for each and the %:

TR 243 - 43.94%
JC 246 - 47.40%

Negative plays are every incompletion, INT, Sack, & Fumble. The % is of all passing and rushing attempts.

TVMan

Reaction score
Campbell has taken some vicious shots. Can't wait to see what we can do to him.

I really want to see Gibbs cry after this game.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Those stats show them to be close... AND THEY ARE NOT. Very misleading.

If you want to do a comparison... compare Campbell and Quincy.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Wow. Romo is better than Campbell.

What a shocker.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;1763451 said:

I agree. I think the big difference is how Romo can improvise when a play breaks down compared to what we see in guys like Campbell and Eli. When the play breaks down around them they break down when a play breaks down around Romo he finds ways to make big plays.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1763457 said:
I agree. I think the big difference is how Romo can improvise when a play breaks down compared to what we see in guys like Campbell and Eli. When the play breaks down around them they break down when a play breaks down around Romo he finds ways to make big plays.

Yeah and... how passes of under 5 yards does Campbell have? LOL padding his completion percentage....

Sidenote: No TD's to a WR until week 10 for Campbell? Unbulleveable

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
YoMick;1763451 said:

They only seem close if you don't know what to look for.

2 full yards per attempt is HUGE. 1.5% higher TD% is HUGE. 6.5% higher completion % is HUGE. 15+ points in Passer rating is HUGE.

I'm not sure what you think is "close" but they are not very close at all in most categories:

2 more yards per attempt and Campbell would add over 930 yards to his total!

The difference in TD% would give Campbell another 7 TDs!

Completing another 6.5% of his passes is a huge jump.

They are 16 places apart in QB ratings this year. Romo is in the top-3 and Campbell is in the lower half.

The 5 INTs that Romo threw against the Bills accounts for most of the difference in INT% between them. In fact, Romos' would be slightly lower than Campbell's (2.75% - 2.78%) without that game.

Romo has thrown for 1300+ yards and 10 TDs more than Campbell in their first 16 starts. He has also won 4 more games (11 - 7).

What are you looking at that seems close?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;1763474 said:
Yeah and... how passes of under 5 yards does Campbell have? LOL padding his completion percentage....

Sidenote: No TD's to a WR until week 10 for Campbell? Unbulleveable

That was surprising to see no TD to WR until last week. I would expect a lot of dink and dunk this week against the Cowboys. I don't think Gibbs wants to get in a high scoring game with the Cowboys so I really expect to see a similar game plan that the Giants used with the skins trying to run the ball and play the time of possession game and rely on their defense to keep the score down.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1763485 said:
But, but, but campbell has all that important "poise".
If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that and "coreskin"..........

EGTuna

Reaction score
Comparing Romo to Campbell is a laugher. Skins fans will do whatever they can to bash Romo and prop up Campbell. I will let them delude themselves, because there really is no comparison as Campbell -right now- is nowhere near Romo's league.

If you REALLY want to depress Skins fans compare T.O. and Brandon Lloyd.

- T.O. signed a 3-year $25M deal with only $5M guaranteed
- Lloyd signed a 6-year (or was it 5?) $30M deal with $10M gauranteed
- T.O. was an unrestricted FA signing that cost the Cowboys 0 draft picks
- Skins traded a 3rd and a 4th round pick for Lloyd (even though he was likely to get cut by SF)
- T.O. has 135 catches for 2035 yards and 21 TDs since joining Dallas
- Lloyd has 25 catches for 379 yards and 0 TDs since joining Washington.

Dallas got a MUCH better WR for less gauranteed money and it cost them no future players.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
EGTuna;1763537 said:
Comparing Romo to Campbell is a laugher. Skins fans will do whatever they can to bash Romo and prop up Campbell. I will let them delude themselves, because there really is no comparison as Campbell -right now- is nowhere near Romo's league.

- Skins traded a 3rd and a 4th round pick for Lloyd (even though he was likely to get cut by SF)

Dallas got a MUCH better WR for less gauranteed money and it cost them no future players.

Great point! We could probably go down the list of draft picks, trades, and FA signings over the last few years and come up with similar disparity at several positions.

What they gave up to get Clinton Portis, who is a pretty good RB but not a great one, was laughable! The best CB in the league PLUS a 2nd round pick! Portis has yet to come anywhere NEAR the gaudy 5.5 yards per carry he had in Denver, his best season with the Skins being 2005 with a 4.3 yard average. That is good but not much above the league average and certainly not worth what they gave up for him.

Portis' current average of 4.2 yards per carry rank him 24th among RBs with at least 50 carries this year (Marion Barber is 8th with a 5.1 average).

They have 4 starting DBs who were all top-10 picks:
LaRon Landry #6 2007
Carlos Rogers #9 2005
Sean Taylor #4 2004
Shawn Springs #3 1997 (Seahawks)

Yet they rank 21st in passing defense! We are 17th and have only 2 top-10 picks at DB (not sure where Hamlin and Henry were selected but they weren't top-10).

I could go on and on... :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can have all the stats you want. Maybe they move the ball well between the 20's, but don't score as often, or settle for FG's as where TR gets the TD's.

TR makes the plays when he needs to, JC does not, or does not as often. Also are those INT's at critical times, under pressure, make the bad decision, therefore costing the game, as TR wins it.

Bottom line...WINS....

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
BTW, this game will the first time Campbell starting against the Cowboys.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I have been impressed with Campbell this season. He throws a nice deep ball and can make all the throws. It is still early but i think over time this guy could be a good qb for the skins.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
EGTuna;1763537 said:

I posted something similiar in another thread:

TO has almost single-handedly outperformed the the top 3 skins WR over the past two years. :lmao2:

TO:
Rec Yds TDs yd/rec
50 855 8 17.1 (2007)
85 1180 13 13.9 (2006)
135 2035 21 15.1 (2006+2007)

Skins (Moss+ARE+LLoyd)
Rec Yds TD yd/rec
58 834 0 14.4 (2007)
110 1506 9 13.7 (2006)
168 2340 9 13.9 (2006+2007)

so over the past 25 games, The top three skins WR have only 33 more rec (1.3/game), 305 more yds (12.2/game), avg yds/rec 1.4yds less, and less than half as many TD's. While these stats are pathetic in and of itself, add to that Snyder invested.

Santana Moss - 6yr $31M ($11M gauranteed)
Brandon Llyod - 6yr $30M ($12M gauranteed) skins traded 3rd and 4th rd pick to acquire.
ARE - 7yr $31M ($11.5M gauranteed)
combined - $91M ($35.5M gauranteed) or $14.5M/yr avg.

Compared to TO's contract: 3 yr $25M ($5M gauranteed) or $8.3M/yr avg.

This just goes to show how ignorant ES fans are when they actually tried to argue that the skins WR were better than the Cowboys. TO alone is better than their entire WR corp combined

:laugh2: :laugh2: