Romo was Hit by 2 offensive linemen on pick

sbark

Reaction score
I watched that play over and over. Romo should never have thrown that ball. That's true. We didn't run the ball nearly enough, that's also true. Romo did step on his OL's foot and that didn't help the throw, that's true. Escobar didn't run a great route, he didn't break off his cut flat and flash like he should have. He drifted a few yards and that allowed the LB to get under the ball, that's true. Romo outplayed Manning but he is going to get raked, that's true. Romo had Murray wide open and in his field of vision and never looked at him. All these things are true.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Wins are what it's about. Not yards or anything else. The Cowboys didn't get it done today. The Broncos did.

That's the entire truth of this situation.

So really very similar to the Dez play earlier last year.....he ran it extra deep causing a Romo pik............Dez was in a funk till mid season, then the lites came on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So really very similar to the Dez play earlier last year.....he ran it extra deep causing a Romo pik............Dez was in a funk till mid season, then the lites came on.

No, I would not say this. I would say that he ran a poor route and that allowed the LB to get to the ball. Had he run the route correctly, it's less likely, IMO, that the ball gets picked. It might have been just an incomplete pass but the reality is Tony threw into triple coverage there. It is what it is.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
No, he didn't go to Witten there I don't believe. That pass was to Escobar.

oh my bad. but still who ever he was he was triple covered. You have to wonder if romo being short caused him not to see the defenders? doubt it. Either way he had murray wiiiiidddddeee open.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why did the HC and OC decide to open up that series in an obvious passing formation? Romo should have never been put in that situation to begin with. They should have been running the ball in that situation (starting on 1st down).

Running would've also allowed them to take some time off the clock so Denver didn't get it back. Overtime at worst. What a concept.

jimmy40

Reaction score
If Dallas would have ran the ball there you guys would be screaming about Denver couldn't stop Romo, why were we running?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Dallas loses by 4 TDs today if almost any other QB is playing for them.
He was lights out.
Pretty sickening at the end...it totally agree.
Of course, he has made that late game big throw and gone for the win many , MANY times. But when something goes wrong, it gets remembered like the the 3-4 other times in his career that some will never forget.

Legacy-wise, he would have been better off playing like Eli or Flacco did against Denver this year....flat out terribly. Then, the score is so bad that last second heroics are not even in the picture.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
He made a mistake, but no qb is going to make that many plays without a mistake.

If the mistake came earlier in the game, the loss would have been less painful but still a loss b/c the defense could not stop anything. Although Denver is severely over-hyped and has benefitted from a soft schedule, they are strong enough to withstand a couple of turnovers. Dallas isn't.

Only way I'd be ticked with Romo for today's performance would be if I had bet against Dallas to hedge my frustrations (considered it). He was absolutely the only reason they beat the spread.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Went back and rewatched that play last night a few more times. It was a three man rush. Looked like a 5 step drop and the protection was actually pretty good. Tony stepped up in the pocket and right into the blocking. I honestly can't say why Tony decided to make that throw. Murray was right there with nobody around and room to run. I don't know why Tony didn't come off Escobar and just throw it to Murray. I suspect that his mind was still on the play before. Tony had just taken a loss on the sack prior to the INT and to be honest, that was on Tony. He had time on that previous play and his protection was still good. He tried to evade down the LOS but the DE was there and just snatched him up. 2nd and 16 and I just think Tony was probably thinking too much about the 1st down. IDK, but it was a mistake on Tony's part. The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced of it. Having said that, the man played the game of his life and he did more then enough to win that game for us. I can't put this loss on Romo. Yeah, he made a bad mistake but he more then made up for that in his play the rest of the game. We got beat on the Defense scheme IMO. We didn't force one punt the entire day. We have to be able to do better then that defensively.

Bad decision Tony and I'm sure you know that but this game is not on you. It's a team game and you have to have both sides of the ball making plays.

Reaction score
If he is what he is, then he must be pretty damn good since he had a 151 passer rating today and topped the league in almost every positive category today.

When the game was on the line, on the last drive with 2:39, his passer rating was 0. 0 for 1 with a sack taken and an INT.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Went back and rewatched that play last night a few more times. It was a three man rush. Looked like a 5 step drop and the protection was actually pretty good. Tony stepped up in the pocket and right into the blocking. I honestly can't say why Tony decided to make that throw. Murray was right there with nobody around and room to run. I don't know why Tony didn't come off Escobar and just throw it to Murray. I suspect that his mind was still on the play before. Tony had just taken a loss on the sack prior to the INT and to be honest, that was on Tony. He had time on that previous play and his protection was still good. He tried to evade down the LOS but the DE was there and just snatched him up. 2nd and 16 and I just think Tony was probably thinking too much about the 1st down. IDK, but it was a mistake on Tony's part. The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced of it. Having said that, the man played the game of his life and he did more then enough to win that game for us. I can't put this loss on Romo. Yeah, he made a bad mistake but he more then made up for that in his play the rest of the game. We got beat on the Defense scheme IMO. We didn't force one punt the entire day. We have to be able to do better then that defensively.

Bad decision Tony and I'm sure you know that but this game is not on you. It's a team game and you have to have both sides of the ball making plays.

Those are a lot of assumptions you are advancing. And if it matters (and I know the truth doesn't around here sometimes), Escobar was NOT triple covered. Escobar was covered by a LB and Escobar had a step or two on him at that.

I do not know what was on Romo's mind. I do know that his pocket collapsed to the point where his throwing motion and his base was affected on that throw. And if Escobar flashes to the ball like he should, that pick never happens. Escobar not only allows the LB to undercut him BUT he does nothing to disrupt the pick.

DFWJC

Reaction score

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...ciphering-the-decision-tony-romo-interception

fyi

rayyyy5x

Reaction score
When the game was on the line, on the last drive with 2:39, his passer rating was 0. 0 for 1 with a sack taken and an INT.

when playing denver.... the game is on the line from the first posession.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Those are a lot of assumptions you are advancing. And if it matters (and I know the truth doesn't around here sometimes), Escobar was NOT triple covered. Escobar was covered by a LB and Escobar had a step or two on him at that.

On the triple coverage, that's fair enough but at the very least, there was Safety help over the top and Escobar WAS the toughest target to complete IMO. I don't believe that Escobar ever had two steps on him but if that is your opinion, I'm fine with that.

I do agree with you that the truth is often gets ignored on this board but that goes both ways so you have to factor that in.

I do not know what was on Romo's mind. I do know that his pocket collapsed to the point where his throwing motion and his base was affected on that throw. And if Escobar flashes to the ball like he should, that pick never happens. Escobar not only allows the LB to undercut him BUT he does nothing to disrupt the pick.

His pocket did collapse but Romo stepped up into the pocket so I don't know if you can really fault the OL for that entirely. I mean, the Broncos never once worried about checking the run. The LBs were in retreat from the moment the ball was snapped and the DLs never even thought about the run. They simply bull rushed from the start. Had we run it there, I think we would have gotten nice yards but it is what it is. By not running the ball, I think we did a poor job of helping the OL.

Escobar is a Rookie and Rookies make mistakes. That's why a lot of coaches don't have Rookies on the field in situations like that a lot of times. I've already acknowledged the fact that Escobar ran a poor route but Tony decided to go to him regardless. Murray was open for day and would have absolutely gotten nice yards had Tony thrown to him. Maybe even a 1st down. Witten was running to the sideline and a throw to him would have ensured that only Witten would have been able to make a play on the ball. Either of those were the better targets IMO but Tony saw what he saw.

burmafrd

Reaction score
anyone trying to say they know what Tony was seeing at the time is nuts. Maybe he did not see Murray- or maybe he thought of the last time he tried to hit Murray when the game was on the line (washington last year). Or figured that Murray had little chance to get the first down.

No one on this board knows ANYTHING for sure. But so many 'experts' claim they do.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Did not mean to infer that you were not truthful, it was a really a general comment about the how misinformation becomes fact which occurs on most message boards (not just CZ). And yes, there was a safety over the top. But the safety was not bracketing Escobar but in zone coverage. Witten would have also been "bracketed" by the same safety.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Yes, I've seen this but I don't put much stock into it. I mean, if we go by this, then why wouldn't we have identified the back as a priority read? I mean, they were open all day and when you have to make positive yards, why wouldn't you check the short man? Denver did it all day and it worked. I guess I'm skeptical about any offense that does not account for backs in the pattern when you have them open all day and you don't use them at all.

It's hard to have discussions about Romo because you have two factions, one that looks for anything and everything to call out as a mistake and one that ignores almost anything he does wrong. The truth, as is the case today, is somewhere in the middle. I've said on multiple occasions today that I don't believe this INT was what lost us the game but if honest, Tony made the wrong call here. He should have gone somewhere else with the ball IMO, but few want to hear this because those that hate Tony want to hear that it was all his fault and those that worship him don't ever want to hear that he makes mistakes.

This is why you run the ball. On the 2nd to last drive for Denver, the one they score a TD on, Denver ran the ball 5 times out of 10 plays. On the last drive, the one where they run the clock out and kick the winning FG, they run the ball 5 times out of 7. I mean, Denver used the ground game to their advantage and it kept our defense off balance all day IMO. We didn't do that and the Broncos, at the end of the game, guessed that we would not go away from the pass and we didn't. The result allowed them to play for the pass and they managed to be successful.