Romo's QB Sneak... Who made that call?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4859402 said:
Yes, but to run a play and not know the situation is silly. One of the things they have the option to do is ask for a measurement. Had they done that, the ref would have told them it was a first down. Also, I think the ref had already signaled first down.

Really? We had a personnel match up that was favorable for a short yardage play. If you ask to measure you lose that. Do you really like our OL against that situation? Obviously neither Romo or Garrett knew what the ref signalled. You can clearly see JG trying to get the ref's attention.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Relevant...

[youtube]ABZgoK6WY8c&start=1249&end=1310?vq=hd720[/youtube]

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The point being missed here is this.

Garrett has a headset and is in communication with Romo.

If Romo is going to the line of scrimmage and Garrett knows it's a first down, why would he not say a word to stop the play?

If Garrett didn't know, since time was not running out, why wouldn't he tell Tony to wait and call for a measurement to buy time?

Then he would be informed it was a first.

But instead, if Romo is not falling on his sword for Garrett, the head coach kept his mouth shut and allowed the team to quarterback sneak on first down.

In any even something transpired that should have been called off.

Even when approaching the line if the headset was shut off Garrett could have gotten Tony's attention.

So this still goes back to Garrett not knowing if it was a first down and taking action to find out.

JPM

Reaction score
Kilyin;4859720 said:
Relevant...

[youtube]ABZgoK6WY8c&start=1249&end=1310?vq=hd720[/youtube]
Never moved the chains? That's replacement refs stupid.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TwoDeep3;4859730 said:
The point being missed here is this.

Garrett has a headset and is in communication with Romo.

If Romo is going to the line of scrimmage and Garrett knows it's a first down, why would he not say a word to stop the play?

If Garrett didn't know, since time was not running out, why wouldn't he tell Tony to wait and call for a measurement to buy time?

Then he would be informed it was a first.

But instead, if Romo is not falling on his sword for Garrett, the head coach kept his mouth shut and allowed the team to quarterback sneak on first down.

In any even something transpired that should have been called off.

Even when approaching the line if the headset was shut off Garrett could have gotten Tony's attention.

So this still goes back to Garrett not knowing if it was a first down and taking action to find out.

Not taking action to find out? The chains weren't moved. You'd have to assume in that case that it is 3rd down b/c otherwise, the chains would move.

The call there for 3rd and short - likely something they had as part of the game plan going in -- was a quick snap on an sneak.

Stupid in that case would have been destroying your playcall by asking for a measurement.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AbeBeta;4859914 said:
Not taking action to find out? The chains weren't moved. You'd have to assume in that case that it is 3rd down b/c otherwise, the chains would move.

The call there for 3rd and short - likely something they had as part of the game plan going in -- was a quick snap on an sneak.

Stupid in that case would have been destroying your playcall by asking for a measurement.

Head coaches do not assume. They continually talk with the refs. Especially since it was right there in front of Garrett.

There is no defense for this stupidity. And that's exactly what it was.

Ivy League stupidity.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
TwoDeep3;4859932 said:
Head coaches do not assume. They continually talk with the refs. Especially since it was right there in front of Garrett.

There is no defense for this stupidity. And that's exactly what it was.

Ivy League stupidity.

He was clearly frustrated that he couldn't get an answer from the refs.

I think it is silly to think that the HC is constantly talking to the refs after each down. The officials are supposed to communicate down and distance to the guys doing the measurement first and foremost. That's their first responsibility and clearly they didn't carry through with that correctly

You've got a pretty clear agenda showing

scottsp

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4859348 said:
Yeah but someone made the call. Either it was Romo on the field or Garrett from the sidelines. Someone has to be held accountable for the blunder.

(I just cracked myself up with that one)

You used the word accountable. Yeah, I enjoyed that one, too. :)

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
AbeBeta;4859631 said:
Really? We had a personnel match up that was favorable for a short yardage play. If you ask to measure you lose that. Do you really like our OL against that situation? Obviously neither Romo or Garrett knew what the ref signalled. You can clearly see JG trying to get the ref's attention.

What I have an issue with is running a play not knowing what the down and distance is. Further, immediately the announcers said that Dallas got the first down. And while the refs didn't make it clear to the HC, they did indeed signal a first down. Also, if Dallas can't make a short yardage play like that, well, then it's all a moot point anyway.

But to just arbitrarily run a play without knowing the circumstance is not something you want to see from your franchise QB or your genius head coach.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4860019 said:
What I have an issue with is running a play not knowing what the down and distance is. Further, immediately the announcers said that Dallas got the first down. And while the refs didn't make it clear to the HC, they did indeed signal a first down. Also, if Dallas can't make a short yardage play like that, well, then it's all a moot point anyway.

But to just arbitrarily run a play without knowing the circumstance is not something you want to see from your franchise QB or your genius head coach.

I didn't see any ref signal first down. I'm not defending any one but I didn't see it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;4860080 said:
I didn't see any ref signal first down. I'm not defending any one but I didn't see it.

Clearly the guys with the chains didn't see it either. Logical conclusion? We need half a yard or so...get up to the line and run a quick sneak

Eskimo

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4859330 said:
Was that decision made by Romo and just ran it off the cuff thinking it was not a first down or was it a call from Garrett who didn't know the down? Either way, someone didn't know the down. Just wondering who.

IMO it was still a good play because the Commanders could have challenged the call and forced us into a 3rd a 1 with all their subs in place. This way we kept the Skins from challenging and got to continue the drive without the nightmare of trying to squeeze a yard out of the running attack against a short yardage defense.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eskimo;4860441 said:
IMO it was still a good play because the Commanders could have challenged the call and forced us into a 3rd a 1 with all their subs in place. This way we kept the Skins from challenging and got to continue the drive without the nightmare of trying to squeeze a yard out of the running attack against a short yardage defense.

Now there is a good opinion -- the spot was likely a bit generous. I do think it was clear that Garrett thought it was 3rd but that is b/c the officials didn't communicate with him and the sideline guys with the sticks