Ron Leary

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
What concerns me about Leary is that he's athletically limited. To be honest, he reminds me a lot of Robert Brewster. They are both big, athletically limited prospects that didn't face very good competition and are being kicked inside after playing OT.

The one saving grace is that while we actually DID spend a 3rd on Brewster, we didn't have to spend a pick on Leary. Brewster was just as hyped as Leary is right now, they really thought they had gotten a player.

At the very least, Nagy and Arkin have some athletic upside so I'm still holding out hope. Leary I have no clue about, I'm not so sure what strikes them as so special about him just yet other than that he has NFL strength.

Eskimo

Reaction score
TheCount;4559802 said:
What concerns me about Leary is that he's athletically limited. To be honest, he reminds me a lot of Robert Brewster. They are both big, athletically limited prospects that didn't face very good competition and are being kicked inside after playing OT.

The one saving grace is that while we actually DID spend a 3rd on Brewster, we didn't have to spend a pick on Leary. Brewster was just as hyped as Leary is right now, they really thought they had gotten a player.

At the very least, Nagy and Arkin have some athletic upside so I'm still holding out hope. Leary I have no clue about, I'm not so sure what strikes them as so special about him just yet other than that he has NFL strength.

Maybe, but Brewster looked like the Michelin man. He did not have an NFL body and that's why it's a bit of a travesty that we reached so high for a blubber boat from a small school.

funkytown

Reaction score
Brewster is the exact guy I thought about when word got around that they had a 3rd round grade on Leary.

Wonder where Brewster would have been drafted if we didnt pick him at all

speedkilz88

Reaction score
funkytown;4559980 said:
Brewster is the exact guy I thought about when word got around that they had a 3rd round grade on Leary.

Probably the 3rd round. Goose had him on his top 100, so other teams liked him too for whatever reason.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
funkytown;4559980 said:

He seemed to have a consensus 5th/6th round grade from the various draft resources.

Primetime42

Reaction score
TheCount;4559802 said:

It's not the same situation.

Brewster's heart was no longer in the game. If Leary brings it, he's automatically better right off the bat.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Primetime42;4560682 said:
It's not the same situation.

Brewster's heart was no longer in the game. If Leary brings it, he's automatically better right off the bat.

Better than Brewster? That's your endorsement? :D

I'm not saying it's the same situation really, obviously the fact that we didn't have to spend a draft pick completely changes things. I'm not saying Leary can't be serviceable, or maybe even good, I'm just expressing my concerns - especially in the face of all the hype, which he will have a hard time living up to.

funkytown

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4559990 said:
Probably the 3rd round. Goose had him on his top 100, so other teams liked him too for whatever reason.

Goose had him in his top 100 because he knew the Boys ranked him so high. Same thing happened with Arkin. Goose pulls info from all his sources to rank the top 100.

Nobody else had Brewster anywhere near a top 100 prospect.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
kmd24;4551458 said:
If - and it's a big if - Dallas manages to cobble together a good offensive line from castoffs and UDFA's, they'll have a really good shot at making some noise in the postseason.

You mean kind of like the Giants?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
funkytown;4561112 said:
Goose had him in his top 100 because he knew the Boys ranked him so high. Same thing happened with Arkin. Goose pulls info from all his sources to rank the top 100.

Nobody else had Brewster anywhere near a top 100 prospect.
:facepalm:

No, that is not how he does it. I'm not a huge Goose fan, but I do know that if he put a guy in his top 100 it was because the majority of gms/scouts that he talked to had him that high.

Anyway the Cowboys didn't even pick in the top 100 with their 4th round pick. Arkin was pick 110, that doesn't help Goose in his predictions.

None of the drafniks had Brewster that high but some of the "real" scouts did. Your argument is total bs because lets say he did put Brewster in the top 100 just because the Cowboys liked him then when the Cowboys pick rolls around there are other guys that the Cowboys ranked a lot higher and they take one of those guys instead. Then he's got a guy in the top 100 that shouldn't be there and didn't go there.

Why do people just make crap up?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Robert Brewster is the poster child for NOT being a Garrett RKG (high motor, excellent character, great work ethic, loves the game).

Brewster had the ability (size, quickness, agility) to develop into an NFL OLineman, IMO. He just didn't love the game or have a good work ethic.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point about his hands. They are abnormally small for a guy his size. I have no idea how that will play out on the pro level.

newlander

Reaction score
Risen Star;4561958 said:
"Good point about his hands. They are abnormally small for a guy his size. I have no idea how that will play out on the pro level."
:bow: :D

sago1

Reaction score
Considering the problems we've had in drafting/developing OL players for some years, it would be ironic if an UDFA actually works out for us & someday becomes a viable starter. Only time will tell. OTOH, what does it say about quality of his competition. I'll be checking around the internet to see where other NFL teams graded him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Round grades are useless on him because of his injury. His stock fell when they found that out.

funkytown

Reaction score
Looking at that spreadsheet just reminds me how big of a physical freak Tyron Smith is.